Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Greens please

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Greens please

by Kim H » Mon May 19, 2014 4:31 pm

I could make my own, but feelin a little puny. Body wants greens already cooked, towards the east end. Any suggestions? Tried 3 Kroger delis, Meijer deli (they didn't even know what greens were!), Bob Evans... I could make them, but really just want to eat them. Think my body is calling out for whatever they got for me. Suggestions?
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Re: Greens please

by Carol C » Mon May 19, 2014 4:40 pm

We were in Costco Saturday and they had frozen packages of cooked, seasoned collard greens. Haven't tried them but the package certainly looked tempting!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon May 19, 2014 4:44 pm

Carol C wrote:We were in Costco Saturday and they had frozen packages of cooked, seasoned collard greens. Haven't tried them but the package certainly looked tempting!

O, that's so good to know! That could work out great, thank u! :-)
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon May 19, 2014 5:13 pm

Duh, Goose Creek. Sorry, I don't eat them often, make them when I do, but something in them is calling me today. Probably need a big bowl if kale - today's greens at Goose Creek Diner! Happy.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon May 19, 2014 5:26 pm

Kim,

I'm pretty sure that EarthFare ( at the Summit) usually has greens of some sort in their deli. I know they've had them several times when I've been there. They also have roasted brussel sprouts which work for me when I have the same hankering. ( NOte: this California native who never ate/cooked greens before my CSA here 6 years gets this craving frequently now. :-)

Trader Joe's had washed, cut, Tuscan kale in bags the last time I was in there. A quick saute with olive oil, and some garlic and you have greens in 10 minutes....

Feel better!
Deb
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon May 19, 2014 7:27 pm

O, Deb, thank you for that info! I keep forgetting they opened, and they're just around the corner! Psyched to check them out. I didn't know u were from CA, btw. We're lucky to have you!
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon May 19, 2014 7:48 pm

Obviously not tree hugging health food but damn good and straight as an arrow true to southern style "Greens"...

Glory.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon May 19, 2014 8:07 pm

Thx, Steve! I've seen that brand, and they don't seem too bad. I'd make my own if I felt better, but those would be awesome to have on hand for times like this. You say they're good? Don't know where my hankering is comin from, but back up greens would be awesome!
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon May 19, 2014 8:20 pm

Kim H wrote:Thx, Steve! I've seen that brand, and they don't seem too bad. I'd make my own if I felt better, but those would be awesome to have on hand for times like this. You say they're good? Don't know where my hankering is comin from, but back up greens would be awesome!

The salt content is a bit high (but hey, we're talking canned food here) but otherwise (per the label) the product doesn't seem too unhealthy...and any product that lists "bacon fat" as an ingredient can't be all bad. :P We have a can or two in the cupboard almost all the time and have enjoyed them on many occasions. BTW, other products in their lineup (I've tried several) are also pretty good.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon May 19, 2014 8:39 pm

Lol! I hear my husband's voice in my head on the bacon! Well, let's be honest, what's not to love about bacon? Awesome heads up on Glory Greens, and they're now on my grocery list. They're generally not a go-to for me, but I listen when body calls for something. 2 servings of Greens from Goose Creek on their way! Hope I like them.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 19, 2014 8:42 pm

Kim H wrote:feelin a little puny

Greens aside, I hope you feel better soon, Kim!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon May 19, 2014 9:15 pm

Thx, Robin! Appreciate it. Greens were ok at best. Thank goodness for vinegar and Tabasco! I'll buy fresh tomorrow.
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Tue May 20, 2014 12:24 am

Steve P wrote:Obviously not tree hugging health food but damn good and straight as an arrow true to southern style "Greens"...

Glory.png

The Glory brand is my "go to" for all their products:

- sweet taters (yams)
- fried apples (mmm...almost like pie filling)
- black eyed peas
- greens (haven't tried)

Best "southern type food" in Kroger.
Last edited by Jerry C on Tue May 20, 2014 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Tue May 20, 2014 3:14 am

Take out from Equus/Jacks. You can order it by itself, or the fried chicken it comes with is delicious.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue May 20, 2014 8:02 am

I ditto Gary's suggestion- they are yummy ( as is the fried chicken) !
Next