Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Customer told to leave after sipping someone else's drink?

by Ellen P » Fri May 16, 2014 3:57 pm

This didn't happen locally but interesting. Policy anywhere? Legal issue everywhere? I can't sip my husband's beer? We always get two different IPAs and switch half way.

http://www.bizjournals.com/louisville/how-to/marketing/2014/05/how-to-permanently-destroy-customer-relationships.html
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

Re: Customer told to leave after sipping someone else's drin

by Steve H » Fri May 16, 2014 4:38 pm

Apparently, I've been at risk of getting kicked out of many restaurants!
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri May 16, 2014 5:08 pm

ehhhhhh....I'm thinking we're getting one side of the story here. I can certainly understand this type of "rule" in certain situations...say when it's a mixed party of over the legal age and under the legal age (which doesn't sound like the case here)...but to have a hard and fast rule seems a little absurd. Like I say, I think we're only getting one side of the story and likely edited for popular consumption. Again, just my supposition.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri May 16, 2014 7:16 pm

They are either has to be more to the story than was written or whatever state it happened in has some extremely strange laws. It's obviously both people drinking were of age because the one who tasted the other persons drink had his own beer. I'm sure most of us at one time or another have sampled the cocktail or beer that another member of the group had or, heaven forbid Taste of someone else's food! It would be interesting to hear what the whole story about this was.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri May 16, 2014 11:34 pm

something here smells fishy...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun May 18, 2014 1:28 pm

There's always the possibility that the chain could have been sued in the past over someone giving their drink to a minor and just enacted a blanket policy. There's no mention of a discussion with the manager, or where this might have occurred. I tried to search for states that might have laws against this but didn't come up with anything. I did, though, find that in Utah it's against the law to have a drink in a restaurant while looking at the menu.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/01/31/bo ... get-drink/
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Here's the Rest of the Story

by Mark R. » Sun May 18, 2014 6:43 pm

When I read the original story I sent an email to the author asking for additional information. I received a reply from him today and as many of us suspected there's more to the story....

Here's his reply:
Hi Mark:

Thanks for your note.

In conversations with my friends it appears that it might have been a case of mistaken identity. The thought is that a patron was ‘shut off’ prior to our arrival and that my friend resembled him and upon seeing him drinking again the server rudely approached him thinking somehow that he was in the know. Still, her approach was unnecessary and very rude and should have been avoided altogether. As far as I know, my state doesn’t have any rules regarding the sharing of drinks in a restaurant (other than with a minor.)

Cheers!

Spider Graham | Chief Creative Technologist | Trainingcraft
Certified Sales Training
Direct - (781) 910-4221
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"