Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Home restaurants

no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

Home restaurants

by Rob Coffey » Tue May 13, 2014 11:44 am

http://reason.com/reasontv/2014/05/13/t ... estaurants

Like with Uber and AirBNB, cities arent liking it. Especially NYC.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Home restaurants

by Robin Garr » Tue May 13, 2014 12:02 pm

Interesting. My inner libertarian likes the idea, but my inner cynic gets the city's point: If you're feeding strangers for pay, you really do need to open up for public-health inspection. My instinct is that a progressive city shouldn't let the bureaucrats stamp out a good idea, but that reasonable regulation and inspection is appropriate, and a chef who didn't want that would make me pretty suspicious.

Also, Reason tends to reflect the nutjob end of the libertarian spectrum. I'd really like to see something from non-political media on this trend, if in fact there is such a trend.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Here's a generally positive piece on EatWith from Bloomberg Business Week:
http://www.businessweek.com/articles/20 ... boundaries

And a very positive look at the trend from NPR:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/0 ... inner-host

And the EatWith Website:
http://www.eatwith.com/

No locations in Kentucky, though. I'd be interested to see how it would fare here. I'm thinking the inspectors would like to get their hands in the mix ...

US EatWith Areas
New York (41)
California (22)
Texas (9)
Wisconsin (5)
New Mexico (4)
Nevada (4)
Arizona (4)
Massachusetts (3)
New Jersey (2)
Minnesota (2)
Florida (2)
Oregon (1)
Ohio (1)
Kansas (1)
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Tue May 13, 2014 12:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Interesting. My inner libertarian likes the idea, but my inner cynic gets the city's point: If you're feeding strangers for pay, you really do need to open up for public-health inspection. My instinct is that a progressive city shouldn't let the bureaucrats stamp out a good idea, but that reasonable regulation and inspection is appropriate, and a chef who didn't want that would make me pretty suspicious.

Also, Reason tends to reflect the nutjob end of the libertarian spectrum. I'd really like to see something from non-political media on this trend, if in fact there is such a trend.

If you think reason reflects the nutjob end of the libertarian spectrum, I have some links for you. :D

They are fairly moderate. Heck, they let Weigel write for them for a while, and he is anti-libertarian.

My thing is, and this applies to uber and airbnb as well as restaurants -- why does the exchange of cash change anything? If I can make dinner for a friend of let him sleep in my spare bedroom or give him a ride to the airport without need of regulation, then I should be able to do the same for pay without regulation.

If there is a **NEED** for regulation, then cash vs no cash shouldnt change that. We require drivers licenses for non-commercial driving, for example.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Tue May 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Interesting. My inner libertarian likes the idea, but my inner cynic gets the city's point: If you're feeding strangers for pay, you really do need to open up for public-health inspection.

One other thing, you mentioned in the other thread using airBNB in Europe.

How does this differ? Or does your inner cynic say the same thing about hotel inspections but you went ahead and used it anyway?

My inner cynic is cynical of public-health inspectors.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 13, 2014 1:13 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:One other thing, you mentioned in the other thread using airBNB in Europe.

How does this differ? Or does your inner cynic say the same thing about hotel inspections but you went ahead and used it anyway?

Umm ... is this really a serious question? It has to do with cooks producing something that you put into your mouth. I am much more concerned about cross-contamination in my oatmeal than in my hotel room, particularly since visual examination can pretty quickly give you a clue whether your room has been cleaned and the bed made with fresh sheets.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 13, 2014 1:14 pm

Rob Coffey wrote:If you think reason reflects the nutjob end of the libertarian spectrum, I have some links for you. :D

Let's just say that after many years of close and fascinated observation, I regard the libertarian spectrum as a skewed curve. The nutjob end predominates. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Tue May 13, 2014 1:49 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I regard the libertarian spectrum as a skewed curve. The nutjob end predominates. :mrgreen:

Collectivist!
If a kid can have a lemonade stand then adults should be able to do something similar. And accept payment only in gold... :wink:
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue May 13, 2014 2:00 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:Collectivist!

Busted! :lol:

If a kid can have a lemonade stand then adults should be able to do something similar. And accept payment only in gold... :wink:

So where in the heck is John Galt?
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue May 13, 2014 3:41 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:If a kid can have a lemonade stand then adults should be able to do something similar. And accept payment only in gold... :wink:

Actually there have been many cases where local government officials have demanded that lemonade stands get permits! There was a big story about that last year sometime.

As far as this concept of Home Restaurants goes, I also have mixed feelings even though I'm not a libertarian by a long shot. I think the concept is great and by reviewing some of the meals offered in other areas it looks like the concept presents some opportunities for meals that may not be available in the local restaurant scene. I also believe that it presents a big problem for local government officials. Obviously all restaurants and food trucks are required to have regular inspections so why should Home Restaurants be any different? The same type of contamination and cleanliness issues should be considered and quite possibly could be a larger problem if you throw in the fact that many of the Home Restaurants probably have children and pets to add to the equation! There obviously needs to be some kind of compromise reached to allow these type of events to be held.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed May 14, 2014 11:07 am

Oh man. I really love this whole idea. If only for the socialization. But I can't help thinking of H.H. Holmes.
Sorry, just paranoid that way.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 14, 2014 11:26 am

Carla G wrote:H.H. Holmes.

:P
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Wed May 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:I regard the libertarian spectrum as a skewed curve. The nutjob end predominates. :mrgreen:

Collectivist!

Gold? Its bitcoins these days. Keep up with the times. :shock:
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Wed May 14, 2014 12:05 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Lonnie Turner wrote:If a kid can have a lemonade stand then adults should be able to do something similar. And accept payment only in gold... :wink:

Actually there have been many cases where local government officials have demanded that lemonade stands get permits! There was a big story about that last year sometime.

I saw one today, although it was over the Illinois state legislature trying to enact a law to ALLOW things like that because of one shut down, but it still requires permits and inspections and fees. I think they are trying to create a lesser standard in order to allow them, but it still seems like too much.

I couldnt from the article get a good feel about the law ... its just out of committee, so a long way to go.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Rob Coffey » Wed May 14, 2014 12:12 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Rob Coffey wrote:One other thing, you mentioned in the other thread using airBNB in Europe.

Umm ... is this really a serious question? It has to do with cooks producing something that you put into your mouth. I am much more concerned about cross-contamination in my oatmeal than in my hotel room, particularly since visual examination can pretty quickly give you a clue whether your room has been cleaned and the bed made with fresh sheets.

Yes, it was a serious question, and thats a reasonable answer. The nastiness of hotel rooms bothers me at least as much, but I can see worrying about food more.

Is there anything similar to H H Holmes in the food industry (I dont consider Tylenol food and thats the only one I can think of)? Seems like hotels are a bigger danger.

Edit: Wait a sec, wasnt the Tylenol poisonings in Chicago too? What is up with Chicago?
Next