Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Is this legal?

no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Is this legal?

by Carla G » Sun May 11, 2014 8:54 pm

A friend noticed on her receipt from a local McDonalds that they were charging 7% sales tax instead of the proper 6%. When asked! the counter help said they thought 7% was the correct sales tax. Is this some sort of subterfuge to gain a 1% sales increase across the board or is there some other underling reason for this that I am not aware of?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Is this legal?

by Suzi Bernert » Sun May 11, 2014 10:14 pm

If it is Jefferson county, it is 6%. In Indiana it is 7%. In Bullitt County, they have a 2% restaurant tax.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Sun May 11, 2014 10:24 pm

Oldham county. So it should be 6%, right? I saw no additional restaurant tax for Oldham Co. On their tax and revenue site.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon May 12, 2014 5:43 pm

Carla G wrote:Oldham county. So it should be 6%, right? I saw no additional restaurant tax for Oldham Co. On their tax and revenue site.

Looks like the owner of the restaurant (assuming it's a franchise) found a way to up his profit margin! I'm sure 99%+ of the customers wouldn't even notice!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

by Eric Hall » Mon May 12, 2014 7:21 pm

With the abolishing of the old class system, It's only a matter of time before almost all cities/counties will have the opportunity to add restaurant taxes and alcohol regulatory fees.

The newest change basically did nothing. It grandfathered everything in but opened the door for legislation allowing cities regardless of size/class to decide on imposing those taxes.
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue May 13, 2014 5:29 am

I remember the good old days when we gave King George the boot over three pence per pound on tea. How did we get so soft as to let twice that get under our noses? You'd think tea would be cheaper to produce now... :roll:
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Tue May 13, 2014 9:19 am

It was clearly marked sales tax. Restaurant taxes must be noted on its own line.
I think this -
Mark R. wrote:
Carla G wrote:Oldham county. So it should be 6%, right? I saw no additional restaurant tax for Oldham Co. On their tax and revenue site.

Looks like the owner of the restaurant (assuming it's a franchise) found a way to up his profit margin! I'm sure 99%+ of the customers wouldn't even notice!

- is what's going on. The clear deception angers me so much I will no longer buy there. (Which was already limited to coffee on Sunday mornings.)
no avatar
User

Todd Antz

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri May 11, 2007 12:37 pm

Clarksville, IN

by Todd Antz » Tue May 13, 2014 12:37 pm

I would do a couple things:

One, make sure that they are taking 7% and not 6%. I blew a gasket over this very same thing once, and even though it said 7% on the receipt, the math was only charging 6% sales tax.

Second, Contact the store and report it to a manager and ask for a store owner to contact you. If this does not happen, report them to the state. A 1% bonus for a McDonald's would be pretty good cash for them, especially if they are only paying the state 6%. Of course they might be sending the state the full 7%, in which case the store and their customers are the losers, and the state is the winner.
Keg Liquors
Keeping Kentuckiana Beer'd since 1976
http://www.kegliquors.com

617 E. Lewis & Clark Pkwy
Clarksville, IN 47129
812-283-3988

4304 Charlestown Road
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-0444