Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Asian Bento Express

no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

Asian Bento Express

by Rich S » Sun May 11, 2014 3:00 pm

I noticed this place over the weekend near the Village 8 theaters in St. Matthews -- it's in the same building as Senor Iguanas. A sign on the door said they're opening Monday. The door was unlocked, so I went in and glanced at their menu -- they'll be serving Chinese, Japanese and Thai dishes. Their website is supposed to be asianbentoky.com, but it's not working yet.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Asian Bento Express

by Robin Garr » Sun May 11, 2014 3:01 pm

Rich S wrote:Chinese, Japanese and Thai dishes.

Mmm! I like all three. 8) Thanks for the scouting report, Rich!
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:32 pm

This will be my first bad review of anyplace. Have eaten in places I did not like but never wanted to write about them. I preferred to let others make up their own mind. Perhaps they have their own dining criteria.

I tried this place yesterday. About 4 pm (yeah I know, weird time but the place was empty.) I had the beef pad Thai . The beef was, once again, that strange extruded gelatinous textured stuff. I ordered beef and I wonder if it was something like "beef stomach lining" . The texture was gelatinous like sea slug. So I pushed all the "meat " to the side and just ate the noodles. There was, honest to goodness, no flavor at all. No usual beef flavor that usually comes from sautéing something with meat . The noodles were just plain dull. The salad was just chopped lettuce with the often used ginger dressing. The egg roll that came with it was supposed to be pork but had more of that fake, pink meat. It's like it's made of that almost clear connective tissue found in animal joints.
I often justify eating some subpar meals by remembering that it was , after all, cheap but that didn't even help this time. I see no reason to return.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:42 pm

Carla G wrote:I often justify eating some subpar meals by remembering that it was , after all, cheap but that didn't even help this time. I see no reason to return.

Thanks for taking one for the team, Carla. Ick!
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:48 am

My mom and I ate there recently. I don't think we will be back. The food was mediocre. For a place that is supposed to be healthier, it actually tasted saltier than most places (especially the seaweed salad).

We actually were anticipating a place that had "bento boxes"- wooden serving trays that have a variety of sushi, rolls, teriyaki, and Asian trimmings. My family was introduced to them when visiting with relatives in South Jersey. We were treated to Miyabi Restaurant in Mount Laurel.

clockwise from top left): pineapple, crab dumpling, rice, California roll, wasabi, pickled ginger, a fish and rice square, veggies, chicken skewer, and eel teriyaki

Too bad this is not what came to Louisville!!!
Attachments
194.jpg
(154.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by MarieP on Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:08 am

MarieP wrote:My mom and I ate there recently. I don't think we will be back. The food was mediocre. For a place that is supposed to be healthier, it actually tasted saltier than most places (especially the seaweed salad).

We actually were anticipating a place that had "bento boxes"- wooden serving trays that have a variety of sushi, rolls, teriyaki, and Asian trimmings. My family was introduced to them when visiting with relatives in South Jersey. We were treated to Miyabi Restaurant in Mount Laurel.

clockwise from top left): pineapple, crab dumpling, rice, California roll, wasabi, pickled ginger, a fish and rice square, veggies, chicken skewer, and eel teriyaki

Too bad this is not what came to Louisville!!!

Marie - for a GREAT Bento Box go to Hiko-a-Mon in Westport Village. We love them for sushi, for cooked fish, and for their noodle soups, but I think their Bento Boxes are the best in town. They come in two layers, and are more than enough for dinner, much less lunch! There are many more places that serve them - don't give up on us! - but we like Hiko best.
Andrew Mellman
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:20 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:They come in two layers

Is that the one that looks like my grandfather's old fishing-tackle box? If I'm recalling it correctly, it is indeed quite a deal.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:17 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:They come in two layers

Is that the one that looks like my grandfather's old fishing-tackle box? If I'm recalling it correctly, it is indeed quite a deal.

If your grandfather's fishing-tackle box was made out of highly polished lacquer, then yes! Seriously, I hadn't thought of it but that is the size, and it lifts out into two full "boxes".
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:Marie - for a GREAT Bento Box go to Hiko-a-Mon in Westport Village. We love them for sushi, for cooked fish, and for their noodle soups, but I think their Bento Boxes are the best in town. They come in two layers, and are more than enough for dinner, much less lunch! There are many more places that serve them - don't give up on us! - but we like Hiko best.

Thanks!!! Will try!!!