Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Louisville stereotypes

no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Louisville stereotypes

by Will Crawford » Sat May 03, 2014 3:03 pm

Will Crawford
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: Louisville stereotypes

by Stephen D » Sat May 03, 2014 3:23 pm

That's funny because It's true!

:lol:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat May 03, 2014 4:39 pm

I didn't think it was the best written article ever - not all bourbon is made in Kentucky, for example <sob!>, and it could have used spell-check and the services of an editor. But a lot of it is true, and most of it is funny. :mrgreen:
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat May 03, 2014 8:33 pm

Robin Garr wrote:not all bourbon is made in Kentucky, for example <sob!>,

Personally I refuse to drink Bourbon that WASN'T made in Kentucky...it's just one of my personal "lines in the sand". :!:

Robin Garr wrote:But a lot of it is true, and most of it is funny. :mrgreen:

Speaking as a "transplant" I'd have to say the majority of this "article" is "spot on"...and not in a bad way. Honestly, after I retired, we could have moved anywhere but we chose Louisville and I'd do the same thing all over again. Ya'll may be winter weenies and I will probably never learn to cut ya any slack for that...and I'm still trying to figure out this whole fascination with a second tier college sport but overall it's a great city with a lot of friendly people.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Sat May 03, 2014 10:05 pm

Steve P wrote:Personally I refuse to drink Bourbon that WASN'T made in Kentucky...it's just one of my personal "lines in the sand". :!:

+1 on that! Personally I've had some varieties of Tennessee whiskey that rival fine bourbon, but they don't have to take bourbon's name in vain to do it!

Most Irish & Scotch whisky or whiskey tastes like a version they'd serve to patients in a hospital who aren't ready to get back to full flavored stuff. Not impressed with Canadian whisky. Never had any from Japan but so far I've not found any that do not fall vastly short by comparison to Kentucky bourbon & Tennessee whiskey.

And yes, you put the good stuff into a glass and you put nothing in with it. To do so is defilement. If you want a mixed drink with something along the general lines of bourbon, well, I guess that's why they make Yellowstone & Kessler's.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat May 03, 2014 10:36 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote: Not impressed with Canadian whisky.

Canuckastanian whisky is just one of many things "Canadian" I'm not impressed with. They DO have some pretty good fishing up there and I've drank some pretty damn good "American Style Lagers" on my annual "fly-in" fishing trips (Crystal, Kokanee, etc)...but otherwise whatta ya got ? Greasy fries served with with gravy and Back Bacon.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Mon May 05, 2014 9:07 am

Robin Garr wrote:I didn't think it was the best written article ever - not all bourbon is made in Kentucky, for example <sob!>, and it could have used spell-check and the services of an editor. But a lot of it is true, and most of it is funny. :mrgreen:

"the gentile slave states" :lol:

As for the bourbon thing, I didn't take it as a claim about the legal status of the drink, but more of a judgment about the authenticity of non-Kentucky bourbon. You can get Chinese food from Panda Express, but that doesn't make it real.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon May 05, 2014 9:25 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:"the gentile slave states" :lol:

Paging Mr Moses! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Will Terry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 4:00 pm

by Will Terry » Wed May 07, 2014 8:29 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:
Steve P wrote:Personally I refuse to drink Bourbon that WASN'T made in Kentucky...it's just one of my personal "lines in the sand". :!:

+1 on that! Personally I've had some varieties of Tennessee whiskey that rival fine bourbon, but they don't have to take bourbon's name in vain to do it!

Most Irish & Scotch whisky or whiskey tastes like a version they'd serve to patients in a hospital who aren't ready to get back to full flavored stuff. Not impressed with Canadian whisky. Never had any from Japan but so far I've not found any that do not fall vastly short by comparison to Kentucky bourbon & Tennessee whiskey.

And yes, you put the good stuff into a glass and you put nothing in with it. To do so is defilement. If you want a mixed drink with something along the general lines of bourbon, well, I guess that's why they make Yellowstone & Kessler's.

Bowman Brother's Bourbon is from VA and pretty good. There are some people outside of KY doing great things with whiskey, you just have to find it.

That said, KY bourbon is obviously better.
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

by Ethan Ray » Wed May 07, 2014 1:19 pm

Will Terry wrote:There are some people outside of KY doing great things with whiskey, you just have to find it.

High West.

'Nuff said.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu May 08, 2014 6:47 am

Ethan Ray wrote:
Will Terry wrote:There are some people outside of KY doing great things with whiskey, you just have to find it.

High West.

'Nuff said.[/

I'll see your High West and raise you this- ( :wink: )

http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirit/bourbon/
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Mon May 12, 2014 6:35 pm

geez...not really sure where to start here??
Lonnie Turner wrote:I've had some varieties of Tennessee whiskey that rival fine bourbon,

naw, that ain't gonna fly... maybe the *very* best Tennessee sour-mash's can rival a "middle-of-the-road" bourbon for flavor, but rival a *"fine"* Ky bourbon? like I said, ain't gonna happen....

Lonnie Turner wrote:Most Irish & Scotch whisky or whiskey tastes like a version they'd serve to patients in a hospital who aren't ready to get back to full flavored stuff.

whoa, Lonnie! can't imagine where THIS one came from?! to summarily trash two of the oldest and highest quality alcoholic beverage catagories that have ever existed? As much as I love every one of the 15 brands of bourbon in my liquor cabinet, I don't love *any* of them (incl. the PVW) more than I love the Midletons & the Jamesons Vintage. And as for Scotch whiskey, well it's held it's own pretty well for about 900 years

Lonnie Turner wrote:And yes, you put the good stuff into a glass and you put nothing in with it. To do so is defilement.
you've heard the expression, "bourbon and branch" haven't you? ever wonder what the "branch" was??