Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Dickey's Barbecue Pit

no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

Dickey's Barbecue Pit

by MarieP » Fri May 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Just saw this going into the the old Starbucks/sushi place next to Salsarita's on Hubbard's Lane. It apparently is a chain, but I love bbq, and who can resist free ice cream? Anyone been to one? It is based in Texas. And the newest post on their twitter feed has a cool link about the Derby!

https://www.dickeys.com/
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Dickey's Barbecue Pit

by Steve P » Fri May 02, 2014 8:41 pm

I pulled up there web site and yes they are a chain...a quick gander at a map of their locations and well...You can't swing a dead cat in Dallas without hitting one (78 locations). I took a moment to read their menu but stopped when I got to the part where they described their ribs as "fall off the bone". :lol: :lol:

BTW, most of the (Dallas) locations reviewed on Urbanspoon seem to average somewhere in the high 50 percentile in terms of favorable reviews...not particularly impressive.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Fri May 02, 2014 9:24 pm

Steve P wrote:I pulled up there web site and yes they are a chain...a quick gander at a map of their locations and well...You can't swing a dead cat in Dallas without hitting one (78 locations). I took a moment to read their menu but stopped when I got to the part where they described their ribs as "fall off the bone". :lol: :lol:

BTW, most of the (Dallas) locations reviewed on Urbanspoon seem to average somewhere in the high 50 percentile in terms of favorable reviews...not particularly impressive.

Thanks! Yeah, "fall off the bone"- meh... give me chicken wings from Momma's BBQ, Mustard, and Pickles!
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Sat May 03, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks, Steve, for channeling my mom this morning with one of her favorite lines:
Steve P wrote:You can't swing a dead cat . . . .

:D

P.S.: Totally respect your opinion about the ribs!
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Sat May 03, 2014 6:54 pm

Living near Dallas in the late 80s, many of us at work used to go to one of the early locations in Plano for Beef Rib Thursday. All I can say is that I liked it!

I never was much of a fan of "Texas Toast" though.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat May 03, 2014 8:35 pm

MarieP wrote:Thanks! Yeah, "fall off the bone"- meh... give me chicken wings from Momma's BBQ, Mustard, and Pickles!

LOVE me some Momma's wings...and the BBQ is pretty damn good too, least what I've had of it.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:22 am

Got the formal news release about their opening today. I'll post it in full, un-edited, so we can check out the bits they want people to know.

Couple Opens First Dickey’s Barbecue Pit in Louisville
Grand opening includes giveaways including free barbecue for a year

David Robinson, a certified registered nurse anesthetist (CRNA), wanted to open a business he could leave to his children one day. That’s just what he discovered when eating at Dickey’s Barbecue Pit while visiting Nashville. On Thursday, June 12 at 11 a.m., Robinson will open his first Dickey’s Barbecue Pit in Louisville. To celebrate, the grand opening, they are hosting a three-day celebration. The first 50 guests will receive a gift card for up to $50.

“Louisville has a lot of restaurant options, but was missing the slow smoked Texas barbecue that Dickey’s Barbecue Pit offers,” said first time franchise owner David Robinson. “Dickey’s offers a top notch product and I know it’s going be well received in the Louisville area.”

Friday, radio station New Country 103.1 will be on-site from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and this location will be serving $2 pulled pork barbecue sandwiches. Saturday, the new Dickey’s Barbecue Pit will offer all day merchandise giveaways. Also, one lucky winner will be chosen for a $500 gift card and three winners will receive free barbecue for an entire year.

Robinson, his wife and their two young children reside in Louisville. Dickey’s Barbecue Pit in Louisville is located at 285 North Hubbards Lane and the store phone number is 502.650.9065. Check out all the details on this new location on Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/dickeysbarbecuelouisville.

Dickey’s Barbecue was founded by Travis Dickey with the goal of authentic slow smoked barbecue. More than 73 years later, the Dallas-based family-run barbecue franchise still offers a quality selection of signature meats, home style sides, tangy barbecue sauce and free kids meals every Sunday. All meats are slow smoked onsite in each restaurant. The fast-casual family-friendly concept has expanded to over 400 locations in 40 states and holds the title of the world’s largest barbecue franchise. This year Technomic named Dickey’s “Fastest-growing restaurant in the country” and they were also named “Best Franchise Deal” by QSR Magazine. For more information, visit Dickey’s or for barbecue franchise opportunities call (866) 340-6188.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:27 am

This is interesting. I'd been hearing rumors about Dickey's coming to Louisville, but all I could find was a news release from 2011 saying that someone else was opening one. That never happened, so I assumed it was a mistake. Looking forward to trying their brisket, anyway - not gonna touch the ribs.
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:03 pm

I stopped by yesterday, not knowing they were not open...big disappointment when he told me not open until the 12th.

Once you got "Q" on the brain it's a big let down to have something else.

There were 5 or 6 workers in the store, most sitting around a lobby table drawing straws to see whose turn it was to clean the lobby :). Actually they had pen, paper, and phones all in hand...doing some training I expect.

This is not far from me, so I hope it's as good as Momma's.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:25 am

Steve P wrote:
MarieP wrote:Thanks! Yeah, "fall off the bone"- meh... give me chicken wings from Momma's BBQ, Mustard, and Pickles!

LOVE me some Momma's wings...and the BBQ is pretty damn good too, least what I've had of it.

Just a note to say I finally got to Momma's and tried the wings. WOW. One of the best things I've ever put in my mouth!

The burnt ends, on the other hand, were dry and tough.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:47 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote: [

That's interesting because I had the burnt ends last week and saw they were some of the best I've had locally! I guess they vary from day to day, unfortunately.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Jason R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:43 pm

by Jason R » Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:59 pm

Mark R. wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote: [

That's interesting because I had the burnt ends last week and saw they were some of the best I've had locally! I guess they vary from day to day, unfortunately.

Agree with Mark. The burnt ends I had at Momma's were outstanding.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:15 am

Mark and Jason, do you remember what day of the week you visited when you had good burnt ends?

I ask because I was there on a Friday night, and my server said "We usually only do burnt ends on the weekends but I think we have them today." Which, in retrospect, made me wonder if they were leftovers from the previous weekend that had been reheated, or something like that.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:52 pm

I actually had mine on a Friday night!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"