Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Dec 11, 2007 8:18 am

Yeah, the paper charges when it is wet or missing and my carrier left me a nasty note about how he had to pay for it. When he leaves his annual christmas card, I am putting that note in it for him. Since I spend up to 10 minutes looking for the darn paper a lot of days, I have not given him a Xmas tip for a few years. I complain to the CJ and they say they will pass it on.......

I do give extra to the folks that regularly serve me. I gave cookies to my mail carrier for years, but he transferred this year and the new one is not as good. Just as many get a holiday bonus at their job, the folk that take care of us should be rewarded for their fine service and will appreciate a lot.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:18 am

Steve Shade wrote:TP .. the best way to cure wet papers is to call the newspaper for a replacement. Has to be done before 10 am (later on Sunday I think). They charge the carrier for the paper and extra for delivery. They do this in Jefferson County and I assume the same holds for regular delivery outside the county. They have access to plastic bags if they need them.

Unfortunately, I'm talking mostly about the Financial Times and Wall Street Journal, where typically their response is simply to extend your subscription by a day. I'm not sure I believe they really do that anyway, and it's impossible to track. A simple double-bagging would do that, but apparently the carrier for those two papers is simply unable to ascertain if that strange stuff falling from the sky is wet or dry ...
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:26 am

I wish I had known that. I can't tell you how many times we've gotten a wet paper, or not gotten one at all. That's one of the many reasons we cancelled our subscription to the CJ.

Suzi, I can't get over the audacity of your carrier writing you a nasty note because he didn't do his job properly! Boo hoo. He should have done it right the first time.

You absolutely should put that note in his holiday card along with a written "tip", such as, "the customer is always right." I'm sorry, but rudeness like he displayed is just really off-putting to me.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:31 am

Newspapaer carriers are just like anyone else in the service industry. My inlaws have been delivering papers for over twenty years and the customers on their routes are very generous at Christmas time. We should reward good service and for those that are medocre, well they get paid to do their job.

Show the love to those that show the love! Merry Christmas everyone...
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:04 pm

I delivered newspapers for many years and there were several Christmases where that tip money was all we had to buy a few gifts for the kids. There were always one or two people who took the opportunity to send a note complaining about some issue that happened several months ago, and many people never responded, but I was grateful to those who did. Tips were generally in the $10-$20 range. One guy would leave me a sack of oranges every Christmas, and I had a few who would tip $75 or $100. In many (but not all) cases, the big tippers had special requests, such as having the paper delivered to the porch.
User

AlisonU

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:35 am

East End Louisville

C-J Delivery Service/Tiping at X-Mas

by AlisonU » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:54 am

I am new to "The Ville" -and love this forum. My C-J delivery is horrible and I got the nerve to call,call,call.I love to live vicariously(sp?) through the chefs, and "all love of food" persons. As a former flight-attendant (no-tipping allowed) to a former server/bartender (all tips allowed!!!) I love two sides to every story!! Thank You! :)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: C-J Delivery Service/Tiping at X-Mas

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:13 pm

AlisonU wrote:As a former flight-attendant (no-tipping allowed) to a former server/bartender (all tips allowed!!!) I love two sides to every story!! Thank You! :)

Welcome, Alison! Glad you found your way to the forum, and we'll look forward to yakking with you about food.

Just out of curiosity, do you mind telling us which airline you flew with? I have a dear pal who's a Northwest FA, and I love her crazy stories about crazy pax and crazier crews and insane management ...
Previous