Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Susie W

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:45 am

Crescent Hill

Kosher Restaurant Options in Louisville?

by Susie W » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:39 pm

Hi all,

A few people are coming in for a work conference here in Louisville, one of whom is Kosher. Are there any restaurants that have Kosher options that you would recommend? We also have one gluten-free person as well.

Thanks for any help!
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: Kosher Restaurant Options in Louisville?

by Mark R. » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Your posting got me thinking because we also has several Jewish friends so I did a quick search and unfortunately it doesn't look like you really have any options in the Louisville area according to the local Jewish community website which I listed here: http://jewishlouisville.org/community/louisvilles-jewish-community/a-kosher-lifestyle/
it certainly seems like they should know if there are any. The only restaurant of any sort a list is the one at the JCC and they also only list one local supermarket who has kosher foods.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:36 pm

Susie, when I worked in catering and we had a guest who was strictly kosher, our only real option was to get take-out food from the cafe at the Jewish community center. Your timing has to be right because unfortunately they cannot even eat the food the Cafe prepares if you reheat it in an oven that's not in a kosher kitchen.

You could also call and ask directly for the rabbi's advice at Adath Jeshurun Temple, 502 458 5359, where they have a daycare and a lively community and keep two separate kitchens strictly kosher. He will surely be able to advise you how best to accommodate your kosher attendee.

As for the gluten-free person, much depends on whether this is a diet/lifestyle choice, or an incapacitating allergy. I would need more information before providing advice for this person.

I hope this helps.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Melissa S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:03 pm

by Melissa S » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:10 pm

There aren't any kosher restaurants, but there are kosher caterers that can prepare packaged meals. Calling the rabbi at Adath Jeshurun is a good suggestion. My sister is kosher and when she comes to town we always go to Graeters (certified kosher ice cream). A good option for dessert. The Kroger at McMahon Plaza has the largest selection of kosher groceries in town with kosher breads, cheese, frozen meals, etc. Good luck!
no avatar
User

Susie W

{ RANK }

Just got here

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:45 am

Crescent Hill

by Susie W » Sat May 03, 2014 9:04 am

Thank you all for your suggestions/information. Hopefully we'll be able to figure something out!
User

Jessica H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:25 pm

Crescent Hill

by Jessica H » Sat May 03, 2014 2:21 pm

I have grown up here my entire life and have been Kosher the entire time. Since we have no kosher restaurants inn town, I do what I call "kosher style" when I eat out, avoiding certain dishes or eating all vegetarian.

However, I have much stricter, orthodox relatives who do occasionally visit. When this happens and we don't feel like cooking, we go out to strictly vegetarian restaurants, such as Roots, Zen Garden, or Heart and Soy. None of them have ever had a problem with this. I recommend asking your guest if this would be an acceptable option, as they will likely be understanding of the lack of kosher restaurants in town. My relatives will also go out for Sushi. I forget the reasoning, but it seems to be a common thing.

I also recommend trying Masterson's and Mirabelle's catering. I know they both have some access to kosher kitchens.

And while it doesn't help with lunch or dinner options... Sweet Surrender is strictly Dairy Kosher. We have been approved by the rabbis from both of the conservative congregations (Adath Jeshurun and Keneseth Israel) in town. They inspect us yearly, and allow their congregations to take our already baked desserts into their Temples for special events. In fact, most of the rabbis in town come through here pretty regularly. Though we don't serve dinner, we are open late. So feel free to come in for dessert after dinner.
Jessica Haskell
Owner
Sweet Surrender Dessert Cafe
http://www.sweetsurrenderdessertcafe.com