Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

Re: Uber car service hits Louisville in time for Derby

by Rob Coffey » Sun May 04, 2014 5:19 pm

People who wont use Uber probably wouldnt use Airbnb either.

**shrug**

And city governments hate both of them.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun May 04, 2014 8:48 pm

AirBNB is amazing! At least it is in Europe ... I assume the concept works in the US as well.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun May 04, 2014 9:05 pm

AirBNB is another tool that serves a certain need. The hotel chains seem to find comfort in light of such new rooming options. Just here in the downtown area of Louisville we'll soon be seeing a new Embassy Suites, Hilton Gardens, Aloft (Starwood), Omni, and AC Hotel by Marriot. So it appears there is still a traditional market out there.

The irony of it all is that some of the savvy young techies are buying vinyl disques--go figure!
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Rob Coffey

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:17 pm

by Rob Coffey » Mon May 05, 2014 12:02 pm

Robin Garr wrote:AirBNB is amazing! At least it is in Europe ... I assume the concept works in the US as well.

A friend of mine spent a week in NYC on business living in a very large high rise apartment with a very, very nice view. For about 1/2 the cost of a hotel room in Manhattan.

So...yes.
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Mon May 05, 2014 9:28 pm

Tried to use Uber from Middletown and St Matthews for a ride to the airport. Nothing was available. I ended up paying 3.75 a day for off-site parking. :D I still have a 20.00 credit on Uber.
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:38 pm

by Andrew Hutto » Wed May 07, 2014 6:37 pm

Worked at asiatique friday night. 6 out of towners trying to go to mellwood a&e " why isnt uber here? Uber said seven minutes, its been 45, whatis taking uber so long? Dont you all use uber? It sucks here." You get the drift. I ended up driving them, turned down their offer of money ( uber hospitality), and dropped them off after unsuccessfully trying to talk them out of a made for derby party and going to an uber louisville one.
no avatar
User

Adrian Baldwin

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

Louisville, KY

by Adrian Baldwin » Fri May 09, 2014 11:03 am

I haven't used UBER here yet, but I'd imagine it will take awhile to get going...especially w/ a Derby opening.

I've used it in Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta....and it's been PERFECT, each time. I find it to be one of the best apps/services ever, in fact. Same results w/ Lyft.

I'm sure it will be just as excellent here once they have the drivers needed, which I doubt will take long based on the success in other cities.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 09, 2014 11:39 am

Yeah, I think hating on Uber because they were overwhelmed on their first Derby Eve might be a little bit over the top ... :oops:
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Andrew Hutto » Wed May 14, 2014 9:27 am

Car services are great. Derby is not the time to start it. As a total aside and something some of you might get a chuckle out of... Years ago i was down at i.p.& l dealing with a permit ( planter boxes or handicapped ramp ) about a week before derby. I noticed there were in inordinate amount of young women coming in. When i got back to talk to the permit persi asked about the girls out there. She said ' oh, those are out of town strippers who come here for derby. They have to get a permit' i do not consider myself to be naive, but that definitely fell in the 'learn something new everyday' category.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Wed May 14, 2014 9:30 am

Andrew Hutto wrote: She said ' oh, those are out of town strippers who come here for derby. They have to get a permit'

I don't even want to ask what sort of questions are on the permit.
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Andrew Hutto » Wed May 14, 2014 9:30 am

'An' inordinate amount and permit person. Arrgh.
no avatar
User

Andrew Hutto

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Andrew Hutto » Wed May 14, 2014 9:34 am

T.p. Lowe? L.o.l. on that. I dont think they asked about workers comp.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Thu May 22, 2014 4:07 pm

Andrew Hutto wrote:Car services are great. Derby is not the time to start it. As a total aside and something some of you might get a chuckle out of... Years ago i was down at i.p.& l dealing with a permit ( planter boxes or handicapped ramp ) about a week before derby. I noticed there were in inordinate amount of young women coming in. When i got back to talk to the permit persi asked about the girls out there. She said ' oh, those are out of town strippers who come here for derby. They have to get a permit' i do not consider myself to be naive, but that definitely fell in the 'learn something new everyday' category.

That is definitely a true story. My mom used to work there.
Previous