Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's Irish Rover review

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:31 am

Irish Rover takes us to the Emerald Isle
LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

I'll never forget my first and only visit to Ireland. We spent a week or two driving around the country, learning wrong-side driving and stopping at every pub we could find to enjoy a pint of Guinness.

Damn, it was hard to find traditional Irish music, though. Pub after pub after pub, the food and the mood were Irish, but the music was international rock. When I finally found a crew with a harp singing "Danny Boy" in a tiny pub in Killarney, it was jammed with American tourists, of course.

You want Irish music? Check out Oxegen in Kildare County every July. It draws hordes of 100,000 or more, luring them in with performers like, um, Eminem, R.E.M. and Snoop Dogg. OK, let's face it: It's the same the whole world over.

Really, if it's Irish music and huge crowds you want, you might as well visit the Irish Rover on St. Patrick's Day. Personally, though, I think Yogi was right: "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded."

But any other day of the year, if you want warm and welcoming Irish style in Louisville, you can't improve on the Irish Rover, the amiable eatery that has become an indelible part of the Frankfort Avenue landscape since 1993.

Michael Reidy, who owns the Rover with his wife, Siobhan, retains every bit of his Irish brogue and enjoys an obvious acquaintance with the Blarney Stone. He is the kind of amiable Irish host who makes every stranger feel welcome. ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/irish ... erald-isle
and in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/irish-rover ... erald-isle

The Irish Rover
2319 Frankfort Ave.
899-3544
http://theirishroverky.com
Robin Garr's rating: 87 points
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's Irish Rover review

by Mike D » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:16 am

The Rover is my go-to place. (Of course, the fact that I can walk home after a pint or two doesn't hurt.) The food is consistently good and the service is always excellent. I think that the Fish and Chips is the best in town.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:05 am

Haven't been there is FAR too long and the boy needs his first real fish n' chips!

Long live the Rover!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:13 pm

I can only, utterly agree. Consistently good meals and service. And I think the BEST fish sandwich in town.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

John Greenup

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:03 pm

Oldham County

by John Greenup » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:06 pm

I miss the departure of "Irish Rover Too", here in the OC (LaGrange)...the best fish & chips, bangers & mash, and my traditional Boxing Day breakfast, after Christmas...not to mention their wonderful selection of ales, lagers, and stouts.
"I want to go where the hand of man has never set foot."

-- Samuel Goldwyn
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:13 pm

I too miss having the Rover Too here in LaGrange...While I was not (personally) crazy about much of their menu (what can I say, I just don't care for Salmon, Fish Cakes, etc) my lovely bride as well as all of our friends and family were head over heals in love with the place.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio