Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Ellen P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Troll Under the Bridge-manager and other problems

by Ellen P » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:52 am

Not sure what happened Sunday and Tuesday.
During basketball season we eat out and/or have a drink at different restaurants. Since we have both men and women's season tickets we're down there alot.
On Sunday, floor fans were being used in the bathroom area and there was a sewer smell. We didn't eat there.
On Tuesday, floor fans were still there but there was a strong awful aroma chemical, glue. My husband's eyes were starting to burn. We went into the bar area. Could smell it at the bar. Moved to a table. Moved outside.Suggested they open the doors which they did but unfortunately two guys were out there smoking cigars. Sign on the door said no smoking. The doors had to be closed because of the cigar smoke. We drank our beer and got our sandwich to go and found a bench outside on Witherspoon. And more beer at OShea's. We'll start going back to OShea's next season. (Will make a note on the calendar.)
Before we left Troll, I told the cigar smokers what was going on with the restaurant problem and we couldn't sit out here or open the doors because of their smoking. One guy claimed that he worked there and that there wasn't a no smoking sign. I took a picture of them through the door with the 'non smoking' sign.
Anyway, later, after the game, we went back to Troll for 'a drawn our sorrows in beer' and to look for a manager. The manager did not care what happened earlier. It was tough that the guys were smoking. If they're serving people out there they can't smoke but if not, we were basically the ones with the problem. We like the servers in the bar area but will not go back.
(OShea's instituted a small menu for game day so we quit going for that reason unless we got in there early enough; Down One's food is really good but inconsistently priced; smallest plates are the most expensive - we've learned; Sidebar food took too long; Doc Crow's once or twice. Our children like Troll so that's why we ended up going there so much; BBC; even the Bristol once when we had time, but we don't tend to go to the south side when the weather is bad because we park on the north side. Lots of options. Again, note to self on October 2014 page:-)
no avatar
User

Heather L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:12 am

Re: Troll Under the Bridge-manager and other problems

by Heather L » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:00 pm

We went for lunch on Monday, the 24th - so a week and a half ago now. It was DEAD in there. There were 4 of us in our group. We start walking with the hostess, it the smell in there was HORRIBLE. She tried to walk us back to the bar (I am assuming to get us past the bathrooms in the hopes that the smell would be better back there?) but we stopped her because we don't like the high tables in the bar area. SO back to the main dining room where she sat us at that most awkward L-shaped table in the corner. We start talking about the smell - these guys at a table down from us are eating and they start commenting on the smell too, they thought it was just them. How they are eating, I have NO idea.

During this time, some other colleagues of ours walk in, and instantly turn around and walk out. We got up and bailed and went to sidebar instead. By the time i get back to my desk an hour later, Troll Pub posted on Facebook that they were closed due to a plumbing issue and would open back up when the landlord fixed the problem. They posted the same message again yesterday. And now i notice that nobody can post on the facebook page at all unless it's a review?!?!

I feel really badly that they are dealing with some sort of horrid plumbing issue down in that basement space, HOWEVER, to try and just go with it, be open, act like nothing is happening, not allow comments on your facebook page, etc. is really not acceptable in my opinion.
....And be faithful to
Local Merchants Too.
Never buy far off
What you can buy near home.....
(Wendell Berry)
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm

I think I'll take this question to my Facebook page (where I have a lot of local foodie friends) and see what we can dig up on this.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:26 pm

No replies yet, but I posted a link back to here from
https://www.facebook.com/robin.garr/pos ... 4090535826
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:33 pm

Sewer gas isnt their only problem. I went there for a business luncheon a few weeks ago. The burger was small and dry. The fries were cold. And despite the lack of business the waitress was inattentive. I wont ever be back.
I eat, therefore I am.