Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Best Gyros?

no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Louisville

Best Gyros?

by Kim H » Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:54 am

Who would you say has the best, or better yet, most authentic Gyros in the area?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Best Gyros?

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:09 am

It's mighty hard to beat AJ's over in Georgetown, Indiana! Roadside dining at its best, and they learned the art of the gyros in Crete.

For dining in, the gyros at the new Andalous Mediterranean across from Dirty Kroger is mighty good, although they serve it idiosyncratically, perched on rice with the dressing and pitas on the side.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:41 am

Robin Garr wrote:It's mighty hard to beat AJ's over in Georgetown, Indiana! Roadside dining at its best, and they learned the art of the gyros in Crete.

+1 Certainly the best I've found around town!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Alison Hanover

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:27 pm

!

by Alison Hanover » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks Robin and Mark. Kim, I have 6 different gyros in three different sizes, kids, regular and giant. I have Lamb/Beef (the most popular), Beef, Chicken, Bacon & Hummus, Falafel, Feta Cheese and Olives. Feta Cheese and/or olives can be added to any meat gyros for an extra charge. As of yesterday I have sold 55,086, so I must be doing something right! Come over and try them. Open until 9pm tonight.

Check out my FB page A.J.'s Gyros To Go
Alison Hanover
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:19 am

AJ's or bust for me! Can't wait to take the boy on a sunny Saturday
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Michael S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:39 pm

by Michael S » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:07 am

Hey Kim - I've always heard great things about AJ's but have not yet had the opportunity to give it a try. I would reccomend Jasmins on old Bardstown Road. They do not serve their Gyro traditional sytle, on a pita, but they put it on a freshly baked yeast roll that is made in house and it is an expectional take on the traditional gyro.

I've been told that we offer a pretty good gyro and have a couple of different takes on the traditional such as, a super, Philly, Fish Gyro and, a grilled spicy chicken gyro that is cooked on our oak charcoal grilled and then sliced and served traditional style on a pita. If you want your gyro in a different package we can put it on one of Jasmin's freshly baked yeast rolls or, wrap it in a locally made Lavash bread. Of course we can add whatever addtional toppings you want and even some french fries it you would like. We also make our own tatzitki sauce (no Robin it does not have mayo, geez). We are on the fringe of MetroLou directly on Hwy 42 just over the the Jefferson/Oldham County line about 3 miles east of the Gene Synder.

So, if you decide not to venture over to the sunny side then come check us out.
Culinary delight is in the palate of the indulger.
Burning Bush Grille
Mediterranean Cafe
http://www.burningbushgrille.com
13206 W Hwy 42
Prospect, KY. 40059
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:39 pm

Thank you all for your input! Alison - we will definitely be up to try your gyros! This is not the first I've heard of how wonderful they are! Robin - I believe when I go to Andalous, I'll be all over the Moroccan menu, at first, anyway! And Michael - we get gyros from Burning Bush all the time, and have never been disappointed! It's reasonably close to us as well. Hmmmm, might've just figured out dinner - thanks!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:22 am

We've also not yet made it to AJ's, but I have to second (third?) Michael's Burning Bush. We ate there last night, had a regular and a large gyros, and thought them excellent!

BTW, their baba ganoosh (sp?) was also great, and their hummus was among the city's best, plus their staff is friendly and deliglhtful.
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:21 pm

Andrew - we have always enjoyed their gyros, as well as other menu items. Didn't make it there last night, but looking like a strong possibility tonight. However, I think their site has been hijacked. I went to check their hours, multiple ways (albeit, all from my phone), and I keep getting a list of ads for tree and lawn services. Can others check this for me from your device before I call and alarm them if unnecessary?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:26 pm

Kim H wrote:Andrew - we have always enjoyed their gyros, as well as other menu items. Didn't make it there last night, but looking like a strong possibility tonight. However, I think their site has been hijacked. I went to check their hours, multiple ways (albeit, all from my phone), and I keep getting a list of ads for tree and lawn services. Can others check this for me from your device before I call and alarm them if unnecessary?

It was fine yesterday, but just checked from my home pc and I get a site saying "site expired" . . . not sure if it was hijacked or if they forgot to pay this year's rent on the web site!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:31 pm

Uh oh. Site was beautiful yesterday - thanks for checking, Andrew! I sent a pm to Michael. They will probably be our dinner tonight anyway!
no avatar
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

by Steve A » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:32 pm

Neither, the registration expired on their domain name (burningbushgrille.com) on 3/28. It was registered to somebody called "Boyds Internet".

If anybody heads over there they might want to mention it to them. There's usually a small grace period before you REALLY lose the domain name.
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Thanks, Steve! I had sent Michael a pm, but called the restaurant back after seeing your post. He's on vacation, apparently, but I let the server (?) know that the timing was critical. Their menu is downloaded for me, but I hate to see anyone lose a web presence. It's a whole other thread in my head, but EVERY restaurant needs it!
no avatar
User

Kim H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Kim H » Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:23 pm

Got my gyros fix! We shared a generous Super Gyros and a Falafel from Burning Bush, and were very pleased, as usual. It's close/convenient, especially on a weeknight, but can't wait to try AJ's! Thanks again for the input!