Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

another loss in L'ville (at Plehn's) ...

by Willie Myers » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:58 am

after reading Bev P & Bill V's posts about losing friends/family in our L'ville food communities, I hate to add yet another, but I wanted to mention the passing of a really nice guy who passed last week - Pat Bowling.
Pat was co-owner, baker and cake decorator at Plehn's Bakery. I believe that the Bowling family bought Plehn's some years ago and you could always see Pat in there, baking away, seven days a week! I know he'll be missed by all of his family and those of us so used to seeing him everytime we stopped in for a box of fresh-baked treats!
http://tinyurl.com/mjpsbsn
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: another loss in L'ville (at Plehn's) ...

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:36 am

Willie Myers wrote:the Bowling family bought Plehn's some years ago

Yeah, I don't know when Plehn's originated, but I'm pretty sure that the Bowlings owned the bakery as far back as the '70s if not before. Pat was one of the sons of Bernie Bowling, the bakery's long-time owner and also Mayor For Life of St Matthews back in the day.
User

Steve Shade

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Re: another loss in L'ville (at Plehn's) ...

by Steve Shade » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:57 pm

From Plehn's website

Plehn's first opened in 1922 on Shelby Street. The bakery was started by Kuno Plehn, a native of Kiel, Germany. In 1924 he moved the bakery to it's current St. Matthews location in 1924. An "ice cream works" was added in 1927. Kuno Plehn was one of the founder's of the Retail Baker's of America (RBA).

During the 1937 flood, the bakery was one of the few in town that could make bread. They ran their mixers with a belt from a truck outstide. People came from all over town to get bread during this time.

In 1945, Kuno sold the business to his nephew, Bernie Bowling, Sr. He was also very active in the RBA, serving as president and treasurer for many years.

In 1980, he sold the business to several of his sons.
"Don't accept your dog's admiration as
conclusive evidence that you are wonderful."
-- Ann Landers