Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Is Facebook is changing the rules for businesses?.....

by Deb Hall » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:29 pm

An Important article for those of you who use Faceboook as a primary method of talking to your customers and building your brand:

http://www.socialmediaexplorer.com/soci ... xplorer%29

Deb
no avatar
User

Eric Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: Is Facebook is changing the rules for businesses?.....

by Eric Hall » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Not surprising. I figured they would figure out a way to get online marketing dollars to equal or come close to traditional marketing dollars.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:26 pm

I will concede that perhaps I am just too "old school" for life in the new social media but I have never found FaceBook to be an effective advertising medium. Too often a new business will pop up with a "find us on Face Book" tag. So I go there and find a bunch of posts from satisfied, happy customers (that's good) but no real restaurant info like operating times, addresses, phone numbers location of the business. Half the restaurant sites don't have their menus posted. This kind of marketing (and I am reluctant to call it that even) usually reaches the same people over and over again (everyone that you've friended) but does little to reach new people or expand your exposure. It just doesn't seem aggressive enough if you are out there plowing for new customers.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:55 am

Facebook advertising, as your main "marketing" plan, is about as useful as hiring some poor sod to stand on the side of the road in a chicken costume. And a bigger waste of money.

Its been shown time and again by journalists that Facebook is using "Like Farms" to boost the number of likes you receive after you start paying them advertising fees, and that even if you tell them to only show your add to people with in 10 miles of your zip code you will suddenly start receiving numerous likes from people in Bangladesh.

Have a page and use it, but if you are paying Facebook advertising dollars you are playing a suckers game.
I eat, therefore I am.