Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

Re: Many are tipping less, survey shows. How about you?

by Ray Griffith » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:40 am

Like many here, my default is 20% and it goes up or down accordingly. It can go up much easier than it goes down.

If I take up a table at a diner and only get coffee, the waiter gets at least 3 bucks.

I generally agree with Lonnie about tip jars for counter service. If I get a brewed coffee poured or a soft drink, then nothing goes to the jar. If I get a fancy coffee drink, then I put in some loose change. Besides, I think that some owners (not implicating anyone here) use the tip jar for counter service to justify paying lower wages.

On a related note; I was in a jazz club recently and the price of admission ($40) was just added to your bar tab at the end of the performance. I had a couple of glasses of wine ($18). When the check arrived, it had suggested tips printed on it for various percentages that was based on the total. I thought it was a bit strange, so I just tipped based on the cost of the wine. What say y'all?
Last edited by Ray Griffith on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:06 am

Ray Griffith wrote:Like many here, my default is 20% and it goes up or down accordingly. It can go up much easier than it goes down.

If I take up a table a diner and only get coffee, the waiter gets at least 3 bucks.

I generally agree with Lonnie about tip jars for counter service. If I get a brewed coffee poured or a soft drink, then nothing goes to the jar. If I get a fancy coffee drink, then I put in some loose change. Besides, I think that some owners (not implicating anyone here) use the tip jar for counter service to justify paying lower wages.

On a related note; I was in a jazz club recently and the price of admission ($40) was just added to your bar tab at the end of the performance. I had a couple of glasses of wine ($18). When the check arrived, it had suggested tips printed on it for various percentages that was based on the total. I thought it was a bit strange, so I just tipped based on the cost of the wine. What say y'all?

Totally agree. Do they think we don't notice stuff like that?
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:03 am

Ray Griffith wrote: On a related note; I was in a jazz club recently and the price of admission ($40) was just added to your bar tab at the end of the performance. I had a couple of glasses of wine ($18). When the check arrived, it had suggested tips printed on it for various percentages that was based on the total. I thought it was a bit strange, so I just tipped based on the cost of the wine. What say y'all?

I think that tipping for the price of admission is totally ridiculous and them even suggesting it makes me wonder how else they are trying to get your money! They certainly don't provide any service for the admission price that I'm aware of so why should a tip be paid on it?
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:17 am

Mark R. wrote:
Ray Griffith wrote: On a related note; I was in a jazz club recently and the price of admission ($40) was just added to your bar tab at the end of the performance. I had a couple of glasses of wine ($18). When the check arrived, it had suggested tips printed on it for various percentages that was based on the total. I thought it was a bit strange, so I just tipped based on the cost of the wine. What say y'all?

I think that tipping for the price of admission is totally ridiculous and them even suggesting it makes me wonder how else they are trying to get your money! They certainly don't provide any service for the admission price that I'm aware of so why should a tip be paid on it?

Tipping on the admission is totally gross, but still, $40 admission!? Who was playing? Miles Davis? Dizzy Gillespie? Both of them together with Benny Goodman? :roll:
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:04 pm

Mark R. wrote:

Isn't this just the same thing as a cover charge? Does nobody do that anymore?

Sneaking it on the back of the bill is underhanded, though.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:37 pm

Margie L wrote:Depends on the service, and hasn't changed. I go from 15% to 20+%. I've only received truly terrible, actually insulting, service twice in my life, and both times I left nothing and told the manager why.

We're usually at 20% - above if great service or if we overstay at the table - but if we ever go below I always tell the manager why.
Andrew Mellman
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:09 pm

Ray Griffith wrote:On a related note; I was in a jazz club recently and the price of admission ($40) was just added to your bar tab at the end of the performance.

I can't top that...but on a semi-kinda-sorta-related note, my wife and I were recently at a local establishment (OK, it was Rails in LaGrange)...We had both decided to end the evening with a splash of Bourbon...each of us politely requesting our pour with -one- ice cube (is that so hard). Instead we were served the Bourbon back and we each received a glass full of ice...No big deal, I can put my own ice cube in my Bourbon. When we tabbed out (dinner, a couple beers and and a drink each) I noticed we had been charged two dollars for the glasses of ice (which we hadn't requested). As a result I deducted 4.00 from the bartenders tip...2 bucks to cover the price of the ice and another two bucks for being a low life and not telling us there was a charge for ice.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Steve H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:27 pm

Neanderthals rock!

by Steve H » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:22 pm

Steve P wrote:I can't top that...but on a semi-kinda-sorta-related note, my wife and I were recently at a local establishment (OK, it was Rails in LaGrange)...We had both decided to end the evening with a splash of Bourbon...each of us politely requesting our pour with -one- ice cube (is that so hard). Instead we were served the Bourbon back and we each received a glass full of ice...No big deal, I can put my own ice cube in my Bourbon. When we tabbed out (dinner, a couple beers and and a drink each) I noticed we had been charged two dollars for the glasses of ice (which we hadn't requested). As a result I deducted 4.00 from the bartenders tip...2 bucks to cover the price of the ice and another two bucks for being a low life and not telling us there was a charge for ice.

Weak cocktails and stuff like this puts me straight off a dining establishment.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:
Mark R. wrote:

Tipping on the admission is totally gross, but still, $40 admission!? Who was playing? Miles Davis? Dizzy Gillespie? Both of them together with Benny Goodman? :roll:

Oz Noy Trio.....Dave Weckl, Will Lee....,well worth $40.
Last edited by Ray Griffith on Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:02 pm

RonnieD wrote:
Mark R. wrote:

Isn't this just the same thing as a cover charge? Does nobody do that anymore?

Sneaking it on the back of the bill is underhanded, though.

Even if it you consider it a cover charge, the wait staff's tip shouldn't be based on a cover.

I had no problem with the admission price being put onto the bar bill and this method is not uncommon with NY jazz joints. They did mention that up front. However, if the suggested tip is going to be printed on the ticket, it should not factor in the price of admission.....s'all I was saying.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:47 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
Margie L wrote:Depends on the service, and hasn't changed. I go from 15% to 20+%. I've only received truly terrible, actually insulting, service twice in my life, and both times I left nothing and told the manager why.

We're usually at 20% - above if great service or if we overstay at the table - but if we ever go below I always tell the manager why.

I don't go to the manager for barely acceptable service, only for something really bad.
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:51 pm

"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:47 pm

Steve P wrote:
Ray Griffith wrote:On a related note; I was in a jazz club recently and the price of admission ($40) was just added to your bar tab at the end of the performance.

I can't top that...but on a semi-kinda-sorta-related note, my wife and I were recently at a local establishment (OK, it was Rails in LaGrange)...We had both decided to end the evening with a splash of Bourbon...each of us politely requesting our pour with -one- ice cube (is that so hard). Instead we were served the Bourbon back and we each received a glass full of ice...No big deal, I can put my own ice cube in my Bourbon. When we tabbed out (dinner, a couple beers and and a drink each) I noticed we had been charged two dollars for the glasses of ice (which we hadn't requested). As a result I deducted 4.00 from the bartenders tip...2 bucks to cover the price of the ice and another two bucks for being a low life and not telling us there was a charge for ice.

Although I'll agree the server should have informed you of that, I'd bet there's pressure from the manager/owner to do that sort of thing. I'm not familiar with the establishment, but to me that way of doing business predicts a short lifespan.
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:21 pm

I always tip huge. Usually over 20% sometimes WAY over (30-40%) depending on how much fun I had. If I tip 15% that means something was wrong. But I never NOT leave a tip.
User

Paul S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:11 pm

Goshen

by Paul S » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:45 am

We generally eat at places we like in town and, therefore, become regulars. So leaving a low tip would not serve us well. :mrgreen: That being the case, we average probably 20-22%. If I go to a new place where the food seems too expensive and/or the alcohol has a high markup, then I won't feel bad at all about tipping 15%.

I know this goes without saying on this forum, but we always make sure to tip based on the full price taking into account and food or drink specials.
PreviousNext