Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

RichardM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:18 am

Louisville, KY

Restaurateurs Begin To Drink No Tipping Kool-Aid

by RichardM » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Just came across this.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-en ... 2013-08-19

Maybe the new places in town will take this up. I would really like to see a live experiment with it.
Richard Lord Meadows, Earl of Vienna, Marquess of Morgantown and Westover, Baronet of Parkersburg, and West Virginia’s Ambassador to the Portland Neighborhood.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

Re: Restaurateurs Begin To Drink No Tipping Kool-Aid

by Gary Z » Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:58 pm

Well, let's hope it doesn't catch on. Whatever restaurants pay the employees will not be enough to compensate for the lost tips. It will work out well for the restaurants and badly for the employees.

The only reason this idea would be considered by restauranteurs is if they stand to make a larger profit. Once again, at the employees expense. They admittedly already pay the lowest wage they can possibly get away with. I don't see any restaurants currently paying servers $7.00 an hour because they are concerned for their well being. So the rich will get richer and screw everyone else.
Last edited by Gary Z on Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

Re: Restaurateurs Begin To Drink No Tipping Kool-Aid

by GaryF » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:08 am

I hear tell it's coming soon to Louisville from some one who has never owned a restaurant before. Should be interesting.
Also, it isn't a new concept, it's been tried quite a few times before and never really worked in this country. I recall a restaurant called the Quilted Giraffe in NYC that instituted a no tipping policy and ended up being sued by the front of house staff.
Also, I find it hard to believe that Louisville would support an establishment with the price points of the cited restaurants. $300+ a person- I guess they might be able to afford to pay a living wage.