Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Gara Empanadas

User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Gara Empanadas

by Carla G » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:12 pm

Stopped by tonight after work to try this place out. It's carry out only, found in the one time coffee hut in the Pleasant Colony Ct. On the 329 by pass behind the CVS in Crestwood.

7 different kinds of empanadas - tuna, beef, chicken, bacon & egg, spinach, ham & cheese, and a sweet desserty coconut. (They also have the usual soda drinks as well as smoothies. Mango, blackberry, passion fruit and sour sop. Heck that's gotta be worth a trip in and of itself.)

I got a spinach and a beef and a coconut for dessert. Service was very fast, very nice. The empanadas themselves were quite tasty. They were small, nice and crispy and priced well at only $2 each. The beef one was nicely seasoned made up of ground beef and...I don't know. But it was good. Spinach one was good as well. Nothing earthshaking but well done none the less. I asked for some mild sauces and received 3 small cups each filled with something different. Have no idea what they were and no one said but they were sooooooo good. ( a tomato one, one dark green, and the third my favorite, a creamy light green one with cilantro . So yummy and normally I don't like cilantro.)

Coconut empanada was like a warm mounds bar wrapped in pastry minus the chocolate but drizzled with a honey-like syrup and dusted with powered sugar. I got one. I could have eaten 6.
So in short, this is a great alternative to the other fast food places in the area. Next time I will get 4 instead of 3 though but even at $8 it's a bargain considering the quality and drive through convienience.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: Gara Empanadas

by RonnieD » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:28 pm

That coconut one sounds absolutely sinful! Should I ever find myself out that way...
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:18 pm

Any idea what nationality the owners are? Just wondering if these empanadas are Cuban or some other Caribbean or Argentinian or what.
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:22 pm

Iggy C wrote:Any idea what nationality the owners are? Just wondering if these empanadas are Cuban or some other Caribbean or Argentinian or what.

Not a clue.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:00 pm

Good news: They have a nice little website.
http://garaempanadas.com/

Bad news: The "About Us" section does not mention their nationality.

I could have sworn I heard that they're Argentine, but I have absolutely no idea where I would have heard that. :oops:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:02 pm

Here it is! Don't cry for them, Argentina! :lol:

Harold B reported it in your "Would This Work" discussion!

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21776&p=163319#p163306
no avatar
User

Harold B

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu May 21, 2009 11:58 am

by Harold B » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:03 pm

They are indeed from Argentina
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Hey, thanks! I hadn't been reading that thread. I will try to remember to stop by next time I'm out at the multiplex.
no avatar
User

Trisha W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:51 am

by Trisha W » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:47 am

Sounds yummy! I love empanadas! I eat a ton at Havana Rumba