Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

Re: Sunday's Are the Worst

by Lonnie Turner » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:33 am

Have the Buddhist / Taoist / Shinto, etc. restaurants reported this problem? This isn't a thread of posts that makes me hungry for anything but Asian restaurants whose workers likely don't much care what the heathen are doing on what we like to call "Sundays".
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:07 am

Lonnie Turner wrote:Have the Buddhist / Taoist / Shinto, etc. restaurants reported this problem? This isn't a thread of posts that makes me hungry for anything but Asian restaurants whose workers likely don't much care what the heathen are doing on what we like to call "Sundays".

Roots, Heart & Soy is open Sundays from noon-8 p.m.

It's in the heathen Highlands, though! :mrgreen:
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:32 am

RonnieD wrote:Yes, but here we go Carla, if Jesus fulfilled the OT Covenant, then Christians should not be bound by, nor should they even really acknowledge the OT. Only the red letters in your KJV should matter. Thanks to Jesus, you should be able to discard all 100+ Mosaic Commandments.

It's not that simple, and there are good, albeit involved, explanations of why not. It starts with the fact that Jesus and the apostles understood and taught the OT as Scripture to be obeyed and goes on from there.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:45 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:It's not that simple, and there are good, albeit involved, explanations of why not. It starts with the fact that Jesus and the apostles understood and taught the OT as Scripture to be obeyed and goes on from there.

Agree with most of that, but it's really helpful to remember that - particularly in the realm of Temple-era Judaism - "Torah" is better understood as "teaching" than "law." The whole idea of rigid, legalistic interpretation of scripture is much more of a 19th century American fundamentalist concept than a first century Greco-Roman/Judaic understanding.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:57 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
RonnieD wrote:Yes, but here we go Carla, if Jesus fulfilled the OT Covenant, then Christians should not be bound by, nor should they even really acknowledge the OT. Only the red letters in your KJV should matter. Thanks to Jesus, you should be able to discard all 100+ Mosaic Commandments.

It's not that simple, and there are good, albeit involved, explanations of why not. It starts with the fact that Jesus and the apostles understood and taught the OT as Scripture to be obeyed and goes on from there.

You're right it is not that simple. The paradoxes never seem to end. The melted down version results in a God Incarnate that cannot be contradicted, yet contradicts Himself in doing so. "I am here to fulfill the covenant so you no longer have to do the things I am teaching you about." This is the part where faith has to step in for reason. What good is religion without at least a few mysteries! The classic "God creating a boulder He cannot lift" conundrum.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:40 am

RonnieD wrote:
Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:

You're right it is not that simple. The paradoxes never seem to end. The melted down version results in a God Incarnate that cannot be contradicted, yet contradicts Himself in doing so. "I am here to fulfill the covenant so you no longer have to do the things I am teaching you about." This is the part where faith has to step in for reason. What good is religion without at least a few mysteries! The classic "God creating a boulder He cannot lift" conundrum.

But after saying he was the fulfillment he said, "I am giving you two new commandments." Which was to love God and to love your neighbor as yourself. Which, at least seems to me, covers loving and respecting others in the way we treat them and not waste time getting wrapped up in the triviality of what we eat, when we rest and what I consider silly dogma.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:41 pm

Lonnie Turner wrote:Have the Buddhist / Taoist / Shinto, etc. restaurants reported this problem? This isn't a thread of posts that makes me hungry for anything but Asian restaurants whose workers likely don't much care what the heathen are doing on what we like to call "Sundays".

Except for Simply Thai. :|

In fact I think there is a strong Korean Baptist community in town as well.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:30 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:In fact I think there is a strong Korean Baptist community in town as well.

There are a lot of Korean Presbyterians as well. And Sudanese and Karen/Karenni (Myanmar) Episcopalians too.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:18 pm

This thread makes me wish I was a moderator with a "delete post" button. :lol:
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:25 pm

The real sin is putting an apostrophe in the plural form of Sunday. I see this on billboards and menus as well. Famous Martini's, Wednesday's are Ladies Day,, etc.
User

Gary Z

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Nov 11, 2009 2:05 am

by Gary Z » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:01 am

Doug Davis wrote:This thread makes me wish I was a moderator with a "delete post" button. :lol:

I was thinking if I overheard this conversation being had at one of my tables I'd probably resign myself to a 10% tip.
User

BevP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat May 01, 2010 11:06 pm

Bullitt County KY

by BevP » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:17 am

I found this thread to be one of the most interesting I have read in a very long time, nice to see folks have good discussion without being mean. :)
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:31 pm

Gary Z wrote:
Doug Davis wrote:This thread makes me wish I was a moderator with a "delete post" button. :lol:

I was thinking if I overheard this conversation being had at one of my tables I'd probably resign myself to a 10% tip.

No, I just didnt want it to turn into a post about religion itself. :?
I guess I should have known better.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:43 pm

Doug Davis wrote: stiffed on tips by church goers

It's mainly Baptists...which, best I can tell, means damn near everyone in Kentucky :shock:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Steve P wrote:It's mainly Baptists...which, best I can tell, means damn near everyone in Kentucky :shock:

:shock:
Actually, you're not that far off. I was surprised by these figures, as I thought Catholics and Baptists were pretty much evenly matched. Maybe that's just in the Ohio River counties.
http://www.bestplaces.net/religion/state/kentucky
PreviousNext