Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Would a posted "C" sanitation grade scare you off?

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:05 pm

Foodie poll! Would you eat at a restaurant with a "C" grade posted? How about a "B"? Why or why not?

Cplacard.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Would a posted "C" sanitation grade scare you off?

by Steve P » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:25 pm

It would if it were one of the (supposed) top restaurants in the country...one that seems to have a habit of earning such ratings.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/04/us/new-yo ... nspection/
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:30 pm

But to answer your question as it pertains to L'ville...the answer is "it depends". If it were an established restaurant with a overall good reputation, then I'd probably give 'em a pass...once. On the other hand if it's a place serving up third world cuisine, probably not.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:39 pm

Steve P wrote: On the other hand if it's a place serving up third world cuisine, probably not.

:shock:
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:42 pm

I probably won't go to a restaurant I've ever been to before it has a B or a C unless I have a special reason to be there. It is nice that you can now see the last 2 ratings on the scorecard since it helps to determine if it's a one time thing or their normal mode of operation. I'm a little less picking if a restaurant I go to regularly have a lower score because I already know their history and what to expect.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:07 pm

I would not even if they were serving hamburgers, freedom fries and apple pie.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:21 pm

Carla G wrote:I would not even if they were serving hamburgers, freedom fries and apple pie.

I would especially NOT go if they were serving hamburgers!!!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Depends what the violation was for. If an employee had a coke on the back counter or something, not that big of a deal to me.
no avatar
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

by Gary Guss » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:06 pm

What if the sign said Go C ards ?
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:14 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote: On the other hand if it's a place serving up third world cuisine, probably not.

:shock:

Said another way...If it's a well established, reputable and generally professionally ran restaurant, I'm going to assume maybe the dishwater was 2 degrees to cold and give 'em a one time "pass". On the other hand, if it's Miguel's Taqueria /Grocery and Auto Parts I'm probably not going to give them the same get out of jail free card.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:39 pm

Steve P wrote: On the other hand, if it's Miguel's Taqueria /Grocery and Auto Parts I'm probably not going to give them the same get out of jail free card.

Well, let's do a little reality check here: Would you give the same level of scrutiny to Bubba's Burgers, Beer and Bait?
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:51 pm

I would run screaming from Bubba's. This I can promise you.

Seeing a C is an instant red flag for me (literally). If it is a restaurant I am familiar with, then I am curious as to why the C (again, I once got a C for a minor drip on a hand sink no where near a food area). If it is a restaurant I am not familiar with, then I am probably going to give it a wide berth. I'm still curious, but less likely to investigate. May not be fair, but it's more instinctive than anything.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Ate at a restaurant (a large Asian buffet, hint hint) recently and noticed the C on the way out. My wife said if she'd seen it beforehand we wouldn't have gone. I checked the database, though, and saw they were upgraded to an A a week later.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:33 pm

Richard S. wrote: they were upgraded to an A a week later.

That's my whole point on the "C": When a restaurant gets zinged, they're on notice. The inspector is coming back (unannounced) sometime in the next 10 days. They are READY. That's the time to go! :lol:

Also, checking which specific offense is checked off can make a huge difference. Some of the "critical violations" that earn you a C are pretty petty; others, not so much. You can get dinged, for example, if your menu doesn't have the standard warning about the dangers of undercooked seafood or fish (assuming you have any dishes on the menu involving that option.) That failure wouldn't bother me in the least. On the other hand, the one about re-serving other people's used food might bespeak a management attitude that I would prefer to avoid. :P
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:45 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote: On the other hand, if it's Miguel's Taqueria /Grocery and Auto Parts I'm probably not going to give them the same get out of jail free card.

Well, let's do a little reality check here: Would you give the same level of scrutiny to Bubba's Burgers, Beer and Bait?

Mehhhh....prolly not. Depends. If I did elect to "dine" in such and establishment under said circumstances, I would definitely not opt for the all you can eat Crawfish and instead stick to a can of Vienna sausages and a sleeve of Saltines...that or maybe an R.C. and a Moon Pie. 8)
Next