Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

White Castle opens in St Matthews today!

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:23 am

Rather than picking up the old "Rumor confirmed" topic ...
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=19681&p=162372

I thought I'd start a new one to report that long lines of rejoicing supplicants had apparently formed around the new St Matthews White Castle this morning (former KFC location on Shelbyville Road near Trinity HS), awaiting the return of the slider years after the old, iconic Porcelain Palace shut down because its tight space (now Eclipse Bank) couldn't accommodate the drive-in window that corporate HQ required.)

Have any of you been over to check it out yet? Honor and fame to the forumite who makes the first report!
no avatar
User

Scott Rudd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:59 am

St. Matthews

Re: White Castle opens in St Matthews today!

by Scott Rudd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:26 am

They were opened on Sunday (I guess a soft opening). All I can say is welcome back old friend!
Scott W. Rudd-Restaurant Design
Chef Supply
"We Supply the Pros"
502-693-0636
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:29 am

I love the way that they embraced and adopted the term "Slider," which had been a slangy pejorative. It took real chutzpah for them to trademark it, though!

To whet everyone's appetite, here's the full WC menu. (This is the corporate version, so it doesn't list prices, which apparently vary by region.)

http://www.whitecastle.com/food/menu
no avatar
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:13 pm

We went yesterday to celebrate Snowmageddon. It is nice, but seems small to me. The drive-thru line was moving quickly or it would have spilled out onto Shelbyville Rd. Staff was nice, wifi was awesome and quick. The manager told Richard they are putting wifi in all their stores.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 pm

Call me a poopoo head, but if there's anything tackier than a KFC, it's the new WC with it's neon orange and blue awnings. At first, the stone looked okay, then the colors were added. The Vogue strip finally was finished, Mellow Mushroom added class to the little retail strip, then this .
no avatar
User

Adam C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 pm

Camp Taylor aka Louisville's food desert

by Adam C » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:42 pm

I was going to post about how if I had to eat fast food breakfast WC is by far the best option. But I couldn't get over the mention of the Vogue. Oh how I miss the Vogue theater...
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:04 pm

We weren't allowed to have WC when I was growing up. I lived not far from the Buechel WC and always wondered what the big deal about it was. But much like Honeycombs cereal and pork rinds, my mom thought it was the worst, unhealthiest thing you could feed a person so we never had it. I got to experience my first one at 17 years old, and that was just because they were 'catered' in for a school program celebrating the 1920's. I was a little scared to actually eat it- thanks, Mom!- but finally gave in to the oniony-greasy goodness and fell in love. However, it still wasn't allowed at home. I had to sneak them with friends when I went out, and we couldn't eat in the restaurant or else she'd smell it on my clothes and it would make her sick.

(And I just tried my first pork rind a few weeks ago at Doc Crow's, at the tender age of 39.)
no avatar
User

Willie Myers

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:53 pm

by Willie Myers » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:10 pm

Linda C wrote:Call me a poopoo head,....
o.k....you're a poopoo head.

and there's nothin' wrong with the WC colors? We, in St. Mathews, have been noted for tacky color schemes for *many* years!

Nothin' new to see here....move along, move along.....

anyway, getting back to WC I "drove-thru" yesterday for a sack of sliders, dressed. Now, this is a hard thing to say, as I *really* want this place to succeed, but there's definitely something(s) not quite right about what's coming across the counter.:
1. There's a distinctively different taste to the buns - - more of a "wheat-bread", than a "white-bread" taste. Not that I would prefer the choice (between "wheat" or "white'), but just let me know if things have changed?
2. Noticable lack of chopped onions on sliders. Kind of oa "chopped onions" flavor, but no visible sign?
3. *very* light on the (requested) condiment portions (mustard & ketchup)..

So, all in all, a good experience - - a solid double, off the left field wall. but definitely not the "out-of-the-park" I was hoping for?
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:29 pm

Willie Myers wrote:
Linda C wrote:Call me a poopoo head,....
o.k....you're a poopoo head.

and there's nothin' wrong with the WC colors? We, in St. Mathews, have been noted for tacky color schemes for *many* years!

Nothin' new to see here....move along, move along.....

anyway, getting back to WC I "drove-thru" yesterday for a sack of sliders, dressed. Now, this is a hard thing to say, as I *really* want this place to succeed, but there's definitely something(s) not quite right about what's coming across the counter.:
1. There's a distinctively different taste to the buns - - more of a "wheat-bread", than a "white-bread" taste. Not that I would prefer the choice (between "wheat" or "white'), but just let me know if things have changed?
2. Noticable lack of chopped onions on sliders. Kind of oa "chopped onions" flavor, but no visible sign?
3. *very* light on the (requested) condiment portions (mustard & ketchup)..

So, all in all, a good experience - - a solid double, off the left field wall. but definitely not the "out-of-the-park" I was hoping for?

Maybe it's a specific store problem? I ate ate the WC on Westport a few weeks back and everything was As I remembered it. (Which is to say greasy and wonderful.)
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:24 pm

Carla G wrote:(Which is to say greasy and wonderful.)

I always hear folks say that WC is greasy, but to me they are more "a little soggy" (from the steam), than greasy.

However you classify them, they are a one of a kind taste...much more fun to eat than a Krystal!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:02 am

Adam C wrote:I was going to post about how if I had to eat fast food breakfast WC is by far the best option. But I couldn't get over the mention of the Vogue. Oh how I miss the Vogue theater...

Totally agree about breakfast!

They actually break an egg when you order a breakfast sandwich!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:25 am

Andrew Mellman wrote:They actually break an egg when you order a breakfast sandwich!

That's the good news. The bad news is that it's almost certainly an industrially produced egg from a battery hen. I understand that this is an economic necessity for a corporate fast-food entity, but I'll still turn away.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:50 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:They actually break an egg when you order a breakfast sandwich!

That's the good news. The bad news is that it's almost certainly an industrially produced egg from a battery hen. I understand that this is an economic necessity for a corporate fast-food entity, but I'll still turn away.

It's not just for corporate fast-food entities . . . I don't know, but I'd almost bet that even some of the "top" locavore/etc. restaurants in town may serve local eggs from free-range hens in individual egg dishes and possibly even in some sauces, but do they really use those same eggs in baked goods? Do they monitor all of the private vendors who do specialty baking for them? On Sunday brunches, when they have a large vat of eggs for an omelet station, are they all using eggs from free-range hens? Being practical, i'd say there are very few (if any) in town that use 100% non-corporate eggs!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:58 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:It's not just for corporate fast-food entities . . . I don't know, but I'd almost bet that even some of the "top" locavore/etc. restaurants in town may serve local eggs from free-range hens in individual egg dishes and possibly even in some sauces, but do they really use those same eggs in baked goods? Do they monitor all of the private vendors who do specialty baking for them? On Sunday brunches, when they have a large vat of eggs for an omelet station, are they all using eggs from free-range hens? Being practical, i'd say there are very few (if any) in town that use 100% non-corporate eggs!

Good questions, Andrew. I'm in a conversation with Ivor C about another topic, and I'll ask him.
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:10 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:It's not just for corporate fast-food entities . . . I don't know, but I'd almost bet that even some of the "top" locavore/etc. restaurants in town may serve local eggs from free-range hens in individual egg dishes and possibly even in some sauces, but do they really use those same eggs in baked goods? Do they monitor all of the private vendors who do specialty baking for them? On Sunday brunches, when they have a large vat of eggs for an omelet station, are they all using eggs from free-range hens? Being practical, i'd say there are very few (if any) in town that use 100% non-corporate eggs!

Good questions, Andrew. I'm in a conversation with Ivor C about another topic, and I'll ask him.

I think you would have a hard time finding a non local egg at Harvest or Mayan Cafe... I myself have sold eggs there a few times.
Next