Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Leaf Lard

no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

Leaf Lard

by Madeline Peters » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:18 am

I have been talking to Cathy Shepherd of Ashbourne farms about Leaf Lard. She is checking with their processor about the possibility of getting the correct fat from their pigs. Would anybody be interested in purchasing this fat? I don't think they have the ability to render the fat but it is an easy process to do at home.
no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Leaf Lard

by Joel F » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:24 pm

apparently some producers are selling it online.

here are two at random....

https://www.prairiepridepork.com/leaflard.php

http://www.homesteadnaturalmeats.com/pr ... k-products
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:13 pm

Thanks for the links. I was hoping to find a local source. Shipping is expensive but maybe my only choice.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:21 pm

Bob Hancock at Blue Dog? They do the Red Hog thing, although not in huge numbers. I also heard just the other day that Adam Barr of Barr Farm in Rhodelia, Ky., is adding some heritage hogs to his free-range chicken operation. And Stone Cross Farm in Spencer County is a top source for local pastured pork. I believe Adriel G on the forum either works or has friends there.
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:52 pm

Thanks Robin, I work there, have friends, AND family there. :wink:

If you need something send me a PM. Rendering is a no go for most of the local farms because the HACCP for stuff like that is outside of most butchers in the area that do custom slaughtering. The raw materials for lard are readily available. I will say that at this moment in time pork supply is low locally because of the dramatic winter and the decreased weight of animals because of it.
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

St Matthews

by Madeline Peters » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:03 pm

Ashbourne farms came through with Leaf Lard. They have 25 lbs in two bags. Is anyone interested in sharing? I could get a bag of 12 and split it with a few people.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:35 pm

Ring up blue dog and compare. I know my mom bought some a few months ago. Maybe a smaller portion would be available.