Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Al Watan...avoid!

no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

Al Watan...avoid!

by Linda C » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:01 pm

I used to get carryout from this little Hikes Point dive. When Zaytun opened, I found my new love. Yesterday, I placed a carryout order.

AW: (barely audible) hello?
Me: is this Al Watan?
AW: yes
Silence
Me: I'd like to place a carryout order
AW: silence
Me: hello?
AW: yes
Me: an order of baba Ganoush and Falafels
AW: silence
Me: hello?
AW: 10 minutes

Ten minutes later, I picked up the order. Falafels were in a paper bag that was drenched with oil. Evidently, they went from the fryer to the bag. They were hard, dry and tasteless. The Baba was not their delicious, creamy smoked eggplant, but a mix of eggplant, peppers, tomatoes and loads of garlic. All I could taste was garlic, no spices, nada. I tossed the entire meal. Never again!
no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

Re: Al Watan...avoid!

by John Lisherness » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:58 am

Sorry you didn't get what you expected. In ordering the Baba Ganouge, I think you were expecting what they call "Mutabil" which is what I've been served as Baba Ganouge at other Middle Eastern restaurants. My wife and I eat lunch there occasionally and have never been disappointed. Last Friday, I picked up an order of Baba Ganouge, Mutabil, and Hummus for apps at a dinner party we attended and everyone thought they were great (especially the Mutabil). We had a young woman from Palestine living with us for a while and she insisted that their falafel was the best she had anywhere in the US (if you ask they will sub them for fries on the "combo" meals). However, I've never had them as carry-out (maybe they just don't do well as carry-out). It's still my favorite Middle Eastern food in the city.
no avatar
User

Steve R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:21 am

by Steve R » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:50 pm

:shock: I have been eating at Al Watan for over five years and it has been,and still is, my favorite place for Middle Eastern food in Louisville. I have had everything they have there and have never been dissapointed. If this was your first experience I highly encourage you to give it another shot. The owner's are super-nice and I am sure that they would make it up to you if you "politely" complained about your experience. :D
no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Never had a bad meal there, but never did take out.

I hope they listen to your concerns.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:10 am

I'm shocked. I can honestly say I have NEVER had a bad meal there.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:30 pm

Yeah, that is a surprise. That's one of my go-to places. Never had a bad experience there, either food or service.

One question: the menu says that they will roast a whole stuffed lamb for you. Anyone here ever done this? I kinda think it would make for an awesome party, but I've never enquired about price or anything.
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:14 pm

No, this was NOT my first experience. I have been frequenting this place for years, almost always carryout, I guess it was my mistake about the Baba, but that never happened before. I think the falafels at Zaytun were award worthy. Al Watan used to do a good job, mine were the texture of cardboard with no taste, and as I mentioned , in a paper sack that looked like it had been immersed in oil. Plus the strange conversation trying to place an order...what? The lady who served me was friendly, but when I exited, there were three women staring at me from tables in a non-friendly way.
no avatar
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

by Jerry C » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:28 pm

Linda C wrote: but when I exited, there were three women staring at me from tables in a non-friendly way.

“Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you”
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Linda C » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 pm

Let's just say that I was the only woman whose head was not covered. I never had a problem with that in there. The whole thing was odd, I thought maybe it was new management. Falafels are not supposed to taste like hockey pucks. They should be moist on the interior.
no avatar
User

Ron H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:10 pm

by Ron H » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:12 pm

Little Jerusalem is my new jam, so... yeah, here's a recommendation for them.
"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2000 of something." - Mitch Hedberg
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:19 am

LJ is really good, too. But one unique thing al-Watan has going for it is that you can buy a stack of the fresh pitas from the grocery next door on the way out.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:05 pm

I can understand Linda's aversion to going back simply based on the way some middle eastern establishments treat western women. Men don't experience this the way we do. I am all for religious freedom and diversity but please don't make western women feel like individuals deserving of derision simply because we don't wrap up every part of our body. If I go to Muslim nations I'd wear their respectful garb but if you open an establishment here don't expect burkas from us if you want our business. A female friend and I had a very ugly experience at The Grape Leaf on Frankfort Ave years ago. We were 50 year old ladies in khakis and golf shirts and you would have thought we were street walkers. Every other woman in there had burkas on.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:08 pm

Carla G wrote:I can understand Linda's aversion to going back simply based on the way some middle eastern establishments treat western women. Men don't experience this the way we do. I am all for religious freedom and diversity but please don't make western women feel like individuals deserving of derision simply because we don't wrap up every part of our body. If I go to Muslim nations I'd wear their respectful garb but if you open an establishment here don't expect burkas from us if you want our business. A female friend and I had a very ugly experience at The Grape Leaf on Frankfort Ave years ago. We were 50 year old ladies in khakis and golf shirts and you would have thought we were street walkers. Every other woman in there had burkas on.

Experienced this and agree completely.
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:12 pm

We have lived in Crescent Hill for almost 15 years and have been eating at Grape Leaf longer than that. There are often what I assume to be Muslims eating there, and there are women in burkas, but there are also lots of non-Muslim diners, male and female.

We have never felt the least bit unwelcome there.
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 pm

Mike,
I was going to say the same thing, but I haven't been in several years and didn't know if things had changed. We've had nothing but great experiences at Grape Leaf- typically in an almost all female group, very casually dressed.
Deb
Next