Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Joy Luck now open

no avatar
User

John Lisherness

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:25 pm

The Highlands

Joy Luck now open

by John Lisherness » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:38 pm

Joy Luck is now open at Kashmir's first location in a house across the street from MidCity Mall. They have a web site with a menu at http://www.TheJoyLuck.com. They describe their food as "Far East Faire". It is, in essence, traditional Chinese Restaurant food : Kung Pow Chicken or Shrimp, General Tso’s Chicken, Beijing Roast Duck, Sweet & Sour Soup, Pot Stickers....the usual suspects.
I did a carry-out last night. The moment I walked in I was taken aback. The place is beautiful. The decor was obviously done professionally and is warm, inviting and comfortable. They have a large bar area to the left as you walk in that looks great and the two dining rooms are tastefully decorated.
On to the food. The Hot &Sour soup had a smoky aroma and instead of being thick and yellow as at some places, it had a dark broth as a base served with light, crunchy noodle strips. Not too much in spice heat but very satisfying on a cold night. The pork dumplings (pan stickers) were ordered pan-fried and were excellent with just the right amount of chewiness from the pan. The Mu Shu Pork came with four pancakes. This is a dish I love when it's done right and most places in the city serving it have crappy gummy sheets instead of decent pancakes. There was a smoky, savory flavor to the filling and plenty of Hoisin sauce. Lastly we had the Five-Flavor Chicken. It was quite good with plenty of fresh vegetables, not overcooked, in a garlic ginger sauce. Brown rice was offered as an option. The last dish was advertised as hot, but ordered as medium heat with hot chili on the side. It was good, but even the chili oil didn't bring it to my favored level (a 5 at Simply Thai).
The hostess / owner was really outgoing and friendly (I was the only person there).
Lastly, the portions were huge. Maybe because they were enthusiastic about pleasing, who knows, but even after stuffing ourselves I'll be eating a one or two lunches from the leftovers this week.
Well worth a repeat. Liquor coming next week.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

Re: Joy Luck now open

by Alanna H » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:12 pm

I can't wait to try them out; thanks for letting us know they're open. I love the kids' menu: BANDIT PLATE: your own plate and cutlery - Steal from your parent’s plates!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Alanna H wrote:I love the kids' menu: BANDIT PLATE: your own plate and cutlery - Steal from your parent’s plates!

User

Sara R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 am

by Sara R » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:17 am

We decided to give it a shot last night. The decor is fantastic. It's modern, yet warm and comfortable. All of the staff was super friendly. Our waitress was very knowledgeable when it came to the menu and very attentive. We never had to ask for our water to be refilled, we never sat with dirty dishes waiting for our check, etc. Unfortunately, we felt like the food was just mediocre. I tried the beef and broccoli and while the broccoli was absolutely perfectly cooked, the beef had a gummy texture that I often find with less expensive Chinese takeout. The sauce was rather oily (it separated, so the oil was especially obvious) and over salted. My husband thought his orange chicken was far better than my dish and he said he would order it again. I guess the biggest disappointment was the fried rice. It was just plain white rice that had an uneven brown color to it. There were no vegetables, no egg, etc. It had absolutely no flavor whatsoever aside from a strange burned oil taste. We don't even think it had soy sauce in it and definitely no salt, pepper, anything!

We each started with a spring roll and we split an order of steamed dumplings along with our 2 entrees. We both drank water. With a tip, our bill was $45, which I think was a bit high.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:06 am

Sara R wrote:We decided to give it a shot last night.

Now, that's a quality review! Name what's good, name what's not so good, and do it all honestly. You could be a good model to some of us who do this for money, Sara! 8)
no avatar
User

Madeline Peters

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:15 pm

St Matthews

Re: Joy Luck now open (with liquor license!)

by Madeline Peters » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:35 pm

They have their liquor license! Reminds me of Charim Korean restaurant. They really care.
no avatar
User

Alvin L

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:08 am

by Alvin L » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:29 pm

Hello all!

Glad to hear the feedback about the place. If anybody has any suggestions, comments, praise or complaints, please let me know!

And indeed yes, we have our liquor license!
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:42 am

Robin, maybe the title of this thread should be edited now to remove the parenthetical?
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:16 am

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:Robin, maybe the title of this thread should be edited now to remove the parenthetical?

I'm on it, Jeff! Thanks for the nudge.