Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:13 am

turn left

What it’s really like when you marry a chef

by Steve A » Sat Feb 22, 2014 3:14 pm

I suspect some of the folks in the business who hang out here can relate to this article.
Whenever people find out I’m married to a chef, they always say just about the same thing: “Oh, lucky!”...

...Generally, this is how “Oh, lucky!” is supposed to translate: “It must be luxurious to have a professional in the house to cook for you all the time.”
"It ain't a matter of pork 'n beans that's gonna justify your soul
Just don't try to lay no boogie woogie on the king of rock and roll."
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Re: What it’s really like when you marry a chef

by Carol C » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:05 pm

Steve, this was great and reminded me of a funny episode! Of course I'm not married to a Chef, but one time Marsha L, who is a Chef, came out to cook a big meal in our kitchen. We went to run some errands and came back to every single pot/pan (and I have lots!) dirty! Marsha totally intended to clean it all up, but, after Bob recovered from his coronary, he followed her every step the rest of the day washing pans! We still laugh about this--love ya Marsha :lol: :lol: :lol:
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:16 pm

Not that I married a chef, but I do have two friends who are chefs and who love to cook in my kitchen AND every time they do so they leave my kitchen spotless! Needless to say, I love to have them cook in my kitchen!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:52 pm

I had no idea I was still the stuff of legend after all this time (this was nearly 6 years ago.) It was lovely of Bob and Carol to offer their home for the big dinner I was cooking to thank some folks who did me a big favor. To be fair, it was dinner for 20 or so, and I would have cleaned every dish myself, but Bob and Carol got home in the middle of my heavy prep and wouldn't let me. So, Bob and Carol - if you can find it in your heart, please accept my apologies at this late stage of the game. :oops:

And get Gayle to introduce you to her perfect chef friends so nobody has to suffer any dirty dishes ever again!
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

by Susanne Smith » Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:34 pm

I haven't read the article yet, but I can fill up a Kitchen pretty quickly with dirty dishes. And though I love doing dishes and respect the art of doing them properly, I think at a certain stage in ones cooking/chef career, this should be someone else's responsibility to do this task. I do the art, put my neck and reputation on the line, no matter if is for the Governor or my own family, and the least they can do is clean up with gratitude and thankfulness in their stuffed little hearts.
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

by Marsha L. » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:35 pm

Believe me, Bob did his duty that day. If I remember right,I even managed to burn his hand with a hot pan handle :(
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Believe me, Bob did his duty that day. If I remember right,I even managed to burn his hand with a hot pan handle :(

I'd forgotten all about that--still happens :D If we had been 30 minutes later the kitchen would have been immaculate, but it was one of those "moments in time" to see Marsha's and Bob's faces when we walked in!!! It has been a family joke and to this day, if I dirty too many pans, Bob calls me Marsha! If only I could cook like she does!!!
User

Lonnie Turner

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:34 am

Highlands

by Lonnie Turner » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:17 am

Not as bad as the situation from my favorite restaurant-related film ever made in which Helen Mirren is married to the chef. But this is fiction, after all:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097108/