Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Grasshoppers After Party March 17 to benefit farmers

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:23 pm

Grasshoppers After Party:
A celebration of the local food movement: What's Next?

We were all heartbroken to see Grasshoppers come to a close, but this is not the end! Local food is alive and thriving in Louisville. Let’s come together to reminisce and reconnect and to celebrate the farms and businesses who are on the frontlines of bringing us local food and show our support for what they do!

The After Party will take place on Monday, March 17, from 5-8 p.m. at Harvest Restaurant, 624 E. Market St. Proceeds from ticket sales will be used to retire the debt of the original Grasshoppers farmers. There will be music, food, a cash bar and lots of good folks who are working hard to keep local food a priority in our city.

Ticket prices are tiered in order to make the event affordable to as many people as possible. If you are able to purchase a higher priced ticket, it is greatly appreciated.

WHEN: March 17, 2014
WHERE: Harvest Restaurant
MUSIC: Scott Moore from 23 String Band and Jonathan Bramel from Vessel
FEATURED SPEAKERS: Sam Lawson from Kentucky Agricultural Development Board and Martin Richards from Community Farm Alliance
FOOD and DRINKS: Hor d'oeuvres by chef Coby Ming and a cash bar

PURCHASE TICKETS
(Please print receipt of ticket purchase and bring with you to the event.)
http://www.ghopretro.com/#!shop--cart/cb3l
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Grasshoppers After Party March 17 to benefit farmers

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Here's a letter from Ivor Chodkowski with more information about the event:

Ivor wrote:Dear Friend,
I am writing to let you know about a celebration and a follow up discussion that is happening because of the closing of Grasshoppers Distribution. A celebration of the accomplishments of Grasshoppers around good friends with food and music could not have come soon enough. Just as importantly, the lead up to the event and the follow up discussion are critical for the cooperative understanding of lessons learned, know how, and ongoing opportunities. I am hopeful that the experience as a whole will also serve the purpose of retiring the debt of the founders of the company. For this I am hoping you will consider donating $100 (see donation details below).

While all of us who have been involved in Grasshoppers over the years are sad and disappointed about its closure, I think we can all agree that the causes for celebration are many. They include:

• 2.25 million dollars in the pockets of regional farmers and artisans
• Encouragement and development of over 70 farmer and artisan partners
• Over 1,000 families served healthy, fresh, sustainable, and local foods

The impact though is more broad and deep. I am confident that Grasshoppers’ influence and contribution will continue to be measured for many years to come, both locally and nationally. Grasshoppers encouraged beyond farmers. Farm to Fork Catering and Seed Capital Kentucky are both early examples of Grasshoppers’ facilitation and influence. Perhaps, more than anything at present, Grasshoppers helped encourage and elevate the discussion in Louisville around local food and agriculture. The company actually helped make the Kentucky Agricultural Development Board and public policy around food a part of many Louisvillian’s household discussions.

For all of this, for what many have called a prolonged act of public service, I am asking you for a donation to help retire the debt of the founders and long time owners of Grasshoppers, John Sharpe, Tim Mracek, and Ivor Chodkowski. Please, make checks payable to Grasshoppers Retroactive and send them to:

Grasshoppers Retroactive
c/o Food Literacy Project
9001 Limehouse Lane
Louisville, KY 40222

Or, go on line and help us reminisce while donating at http://www.ghopretro.com.

Thank you for your every kindness and consideration. I am convinced that the experience of Grasshoppers has been of tremendous benefit to the community. Please, call Laura Peot with questions, 859.396.8012.

Warmest regards,
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

Re: Grasshoppers After Party March 17 to benefit farmers

by Deb Hall » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:14 pm

Robin,

Thanks for posting about this event- it promises to be a great one! As you know, Ivor has been a huge influence on the local food scene that we have in Louisville today. He and his partners have invested a huge amount of time and effort for this community; it'd be great to have that recognized and appreciated, while helping them relieve some of the debt. And Coby's food will of course be great!

Tickets are available at: http://www.ghopretro.com

Deb