Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

James Beard finalists in the region

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

James Beard finalists in the region

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:57 am

I just finished voting in the James Beard Awards finals and thought I'd pass along the finalists not only from Louisville but from the region, as some of the more outlying candidates didn't make it into local media.

Frankly, I was a little disappointed that none of our Under 30 rising stars made the list after all the effort we put into it and the good advice I got from this group; ditto for a couple of my finalist nominees who didn't show up in the finals. I've put out a courteous but curious query about that.

In any case, read 'em and applaud ... let's hope they all make it to the awards podium!

BEST NEW RESTAURANT:
Milkwood, Louisville.

BEST CHEF: SOUTHEAST
Chefs who have set new or consistent standards of excellence in their respective regions. Candidates may be from any kind of dining establishment and must have been working as a chef for at least five years with the three most recent years spent in the region. (GA, KY, NC, SC, TN, WV)

Kathy Cary, Lilly's, Louisville, KY
Edward Lee, 610 Magnolia, Louisville, KY

BEST CHEF: GREAT LAKES
Chefs who have set new or consistent standards of excellence in their respective regions. Candidates may be from any kind of dining establishment and must have been working as a chef for at least five years with the three most recent years spent in the region. (DC, DE, MD, NJ, PA, VA)

David Tallent, Restaurant Tallent, Bloomington, IN

OUTSTANDING WINE, SPIRITS, AND BEER PROFESSIONAL
A winemaker, brewer or spirits professional who has made significant national impact on the wines and spirits industry.

Mike Floyd, Nick Floyd, and Simon Floyd, Three Floyds Brewing, Munster, IN

Harlen Wheatley, Buffalo Trace Distillery, Frankfort, KY
no avatar
User

Ethan Ray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:30 pm

Re: James Beard finalists in the region

by Ethan Ray » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:04 pm

Milkwood is up for Best New Restaurant as well.
Ethan Ray

I put vegetables in your desserts, white chocolate with your fish and other nonsense stuff that you think shouldn't make sense, but coax the nonsense into something that makes complete sense in your mouth. Just open your mind, mouth and eat.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: James Beard finalists in the region

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:17 pm

Ethan Ray wrote:Milkwood is up for Best New Restaurant as well.

Right! And they did get my vote, just slipped off the copy and past. I'll add them to the original, thanks, Ethan!