Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Discussion of Robin Garr's NamNam Cafe review

by Robin Garr » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:37 am

NamNam's chicken soup for the soul
LEO's Eats with Robin Garr

"Hack-hack! Ker-CHOO! Cough! Snort!"

Aw, kee-rap! Mary's got a cold, and it sounds like a monster. This can't be good. Not only do I wish no ill on my dear bride, but also let's face it: When Momma's not happy, ain't nobody happy.

What to do? What to do? I know! Chicken noodle soup! Now, Louisville is sadly limited in the kosher-style deli department, and it's a good 110 miles up I-65 to the nearest reasonable facsimile, Shapiro's Delicatessen in Indianapolis. There'll be no "Jewish penicillin" for her today.

What to do? What to do? Wait, I really do know! Vietnamese penicillin will do the trick, in the form of an oversize bowl of phò gà. Er, I mean Vietnamese chicken noodle soup, natch. Yep, phò gà will get the job done, with its steaming aromatics to get the nose running, aromatic light star-anise-scented broth and tender noodles to console the aching spirit, and some onions, bean sprouts, jalapeños and a shot of fiery red "Rooster sauce" to snap you to attention.

A big bowl of chicken-noodle phò will set you back $8.50 at the inviting little NamNam Café in St. Matthews. Yeah, you can get a whole quart of Jewish chicken noodle at Shapiro's for $9. But figure the time and fuel spent for that four-hour round trip to Indy, and you've made the case for NamNam.

What's more, as long as you're at NamNam anyway, you might as well settle in for a great Vietnamese meal. You're sure as heck not going to get that at Shapiro's! NamNam's bill of fare won't set you back anything like that tank of gas you saved ...

Read the full review on LouisvilleHotBytes,
http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/namna ... s-the-soul
and in LEO Weekly:
http://leoweekly.com/dining/namnam%E2%8 ... ainly-soul

NamNam Café
318 Wallace Ave.
891-8859
http://namnamcafe.com
Robin Garr's rating: 88 points
no avatar
User

Susanne Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:55 pm

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's NamNam Cafe review

by Susanne Smith » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:40 am

Nice Review Robin. I really tried to get that spot years ago, and though I'm glad I didn't, I think they are the real deal and are our go to spot in the east end when we want good Vietnamese cuisine. The Ban Mi is excellent as well. The Buddha rolls rock. And I concur on all the rest of your review. Thanks, now the wait will be even longer. But well worth it.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

Re: Discussion of Robin Garr's NamNam Cafe review

by Adriel Gray » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:24 pm

Great review Robin. I love Nam Nam, and appreciate you mentioning the farm too! :wink: