Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Chinese Chicken

User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Chinese Chicken

by Steve P » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:00 am

Everyone has their little trip-wire (Pink Slime, etc, etc)....This is one of mine. Personally, I do my utmost to avoid -any- food made/processed in China (or any Pan-Asian country for that matter). :evil:

http://www.whas11.com/news/national/245815701.html

...."For the first time, the USDA has agreed to allow chicken that has been raised and slaughtered in the U.S. to be shipped to China to be processed then shipped back for us to eat"...

..."A million dollars worth of lamb was sold to Chinese consumers that turned out to be the meat from rats and foxes," said Siegel. "This is a system that's so weak, it can't even catch these egregious problems, and so that's why we're concerned about having our chicken processed there...."

...."There's a bigger concern with the chicken changes. Chicken that is processed in China into foods like nuggets, tenders and patties will not have to be labeled. So, consumers won't know what they're buying"...
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

Jerry C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:33 am

Buechel

Re: Chinese Chicken

by Jerry C » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:07 am

The only logical reason for this move is that some "green slime" crossed some palms somewhere in D.C.
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:36 am

The USDA is gonna be selling Soylent Green next. I can't remember what the ingredients are in Soylent Green, but I hear it is very good for humans. Safe and nutritious.
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:27 pm

How, HOW, HOW is it cheaper to ship the chicken to China and back than process it domestically? HOW?

I do not understand.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:03 pm

RonnieD wrote:How, HOW, HOW is it cheaper to ship the chicken to China and back than process it domestically? HOW?

I do not understand.

My thoughts exactly! It seems like the shipping charges alone would put the price of the finished product out of reach.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:40 pm

I'd be concerned. I'd be REAL concerned.
Maybe the Chinese will make part time vegetarians out of a lot of people. :roll:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Timely article in today's Wall Street Journal . . . to summarize,

1. Chicken of the Sea tuna . . . owned by Thai Union Frozen Products of Thailand . . . cleaned in Thailand . . . canned in Georgia

2. Bumble Bee Tuna . . . owned by UK's Lion Capital . . . cleaned in Fiji/Maruitius/Colombia and Thailand . . . canned in California

3. StarKist Tuna . . . owned by Dongwon Enterprise of South Korea . . . cleaned and canned in American Samoa

Technically, the only "American" canned tuna fish available is StarKist, as American Samoa is American, but their plant was downgraded to such a degree that the Agriculture Dept. disallowed schools from buying StarKist. Thus, no American schools have served canned tuna for over a year!

The StarKist plant just recently passed an inspection, so it may be on the approved list shortly, and the other two have petitioned Congress to allow them to sell to schools as they are canned in this country, but hasn't happened yet.

Moral of the story: don't buy canned tuna!
Andrew Mellman
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:17 pm

Yes, but that proves my point even further. If its so damn affordable to can tuna here, why is it cheaper to process chicken in China?

Sourcing is a big difference. I get the tuna thing, I mean I have no idea how much tuna is swimming around the USA, but maybe not so much? So you have to out source it, I get it.

But if we source the chicken HERE, why are we sending it away to be processed? Cannot be cheaper. Cannot, I refuse to believe it. Even with Chinese child slave labor. Cannot.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY