Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Mexican food party suggestion?

no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Mexican food party suggestion?

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:24 pm

We're a group of 20 adults celebrating the birthday of someone whose favorite food is Mexican. Anyone have a suggestion of a place that might be able to handle a crowd that size with a private room, tables reserved together, or similar?
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Mexican food party suggestion?

by Steve P » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:We're a group of 20 adults celebrating the birthday of someone whose favorite food is Mexican. Anyone have a suggestion of a place that might be able to handle a crowd that size with a private room, tables reserved together, or similar?

I would check with the fine folks at Hay Chi Wa-Wa...It's our "go to" Tex-Mex" place these days and I know I've seen large-ish groups there in the past.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:56 pm

GuacaMole
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:10 pm

El Tarasco in St Matthews has two separate rooms, as I recall, and a pretty sizable space. I wonder if they could set one of the rooms aside for a group.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:26 pm

I would certainly agree with Steve recommendation of Hay Chi Wa-Wa, is definitely a step or 2 above most of the other Mexican restaurants in town. Guacamole is definitely the best of any of them but would be very difficult to handle for such a large group in most cases because of how crowded they are.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:59 pm

I have to third Steve and Mark's recommendation for Hay Chi Wa-Wa! Not sure about a private room, but they are so accommodating and I am pretty sure there is space at the back of the main room. The food is great and really nice people!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:17 pm

Carol C wrote:I have to third Steve and Mark's recommendation for Hay Chi Wa-Wa! Not sure about a private room, but they are so accommodating and I am pretty sure there is space at the back of the main room. The food is great and really nice people!

For the record, I think it's a great place, too, for food and service, and reviewed it early on with nary a negative word. But that said, I went with El Tarasco for my recommendation because I just don't see a party of 20 working out really well in there. If I'm wrong, I'll gladly accept re-education, but when you're talking about larger groups, sometimes other variables come into play.
no avatar
User

Tim Y

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon May 04, 2009 2:20 pm

by Tim Y » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:08 am

I sure miss Chi Chi's... Heavy sigh. Tumbleweeds has decent sized rooms for private parties.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:46 am

Tim Y wrote:Tumbleweeds

I think he's looking for Mexican food, though. :lol:
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:36 am

Tumbleweed is a thought!

Our first choice is Mexican, to please the birthday person. We have been to many places here, and none that I knew of had private rooms (or even private areas), so thought I'd ask if anyone else had knowledge of one (or of one that had hosted a group of that size). We did to go Chuy's, as in a prior life that space had private areas (we were told that our party of 20 would have to come in, and just count on waiting around 90 minutes for them to free up space as they will not reserve a table for any sized group).

The guest of honor likes true Mexican, but as at least three invitees cannot eat Mexican food (spice problems) moving to Tex-Mex/American-Mex (or whatever you call Tumbleweed) may be worthwhile if there's a private room or area.

The other two suggestions (El Tarasco and Chi Wa Wa) are probably the only two Mexican-style restaurants we haven't been to yet, but will be having lunch & dinner there on Wednesday.

Thanks to all!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

MarieP

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:56 pm

St. Matthews

by MarieP » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:32 pm

Steve P wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:We're a group of 20 adults celebrating the birthday of someone whose favorite food is Mexican. Anyone have a suggestion of a place that might be able to handle a crowd that size with a private room, tables reserved together, or similar?

I would check with the fine folks at Hay Chi Wa-Wa...It's our "go to" Tex-Mex" place these days and I know I've seen large-ish groups there in the past.

I was about to mention them! My mom and I ate there last night for the first time! We loved the fresh tortilla chips and three different dips- 2 salsas and 1 jalepeno sour cream. After we finished out the chips, we ate the rest of the dip with a spoon! :-) I really enjoyed my tamales, and the rice actually had peas and carrots in it- not usual for Mexican rice, but a nice change! And the beans were good as well. Everything had a nice fresh, light taste. My mom got the Cowboy combo plate. We saw the red velvet cheesecake listed on the menu but passed, for this time. that is...the price was extremely reasonable as well ($31 including tip for the two of us).
no avatar
User

Lois Mauk

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:08 pm

Jeffersonville, Indiana

by Lois Mauk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:55 am

Senor Iguanas on Shelbyville Road has a party room downstairs. We've been there with a group of about 20, dining upstairs. I'm a big fan of Iguanas, especially the one in Clarksville.
Make a fast friend . . . Adopt a retired racer from Greyhound Pets of America!
http://www.GPALouisville.org