Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Best burger, #2: Do you know (or care) where it's from?

by Steve P » Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:20 pm

Anyone else have the sneaking suspicion these two "Burger" threads were a set up ???
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:25 pm

Steve P wrote:Anyone else have the sneaking suspicion these two "Burger" threads were a set up ???

Maybe Robin should share his 1%-level reviewer salary with forumites??? :lol:
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:49 pm

Andrew Mellman wrote:
Steve P wrote:Anyone else have the sneaking suspicion these two "Burger" threads were a set up ???

Haha! 8)

Actually, Stevie has it bass-ackward, in true Garridge Lodgic style: I posted this topic AFTER I turned in the Bluegrass Burger review last week. (Print media has a long lead time.) The Voice-Tribune editors and I got to jawing about who has the best burger in town, and I figured I'd tap into social media to get the heartbeat of the foodie community on that, and also to determine whether people who have strong opinions about the best burgers even care whether their "best" burger is laced with e. coli or antibiotics or pink slime ... :P
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:00 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Andrew Mellman wrote:

Haha! 8)

Actually, Stevie has it bass-ackward, in true Garridge Lodgic style: I posted this topic AFTER I turned in the Bluegrass Burger review last week. (Print media has a long lead time.) The Voice-Tribune editors and I got to jawing about who has the best burger in town, and I figured I'd tap into social media to get the heartbeat of the foodie community on that, and also to determine whether people who have strong opinions about the best burgers even care whether their "best" burger is laced with e. coli or antibiotics or pink slime ... :P

It's all cool...I was just funnin you. I figured the Bluegrass Burger review was coming even before posting my original reply.

Good topic though, now you just need to do one on chicken wings.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:02 pm

Steve P wrote:Good topic though, now you just need to do one on chicken wings.

"If IIIIIII had the wings of a chiiiiiicken ... over theeeeese prison walls I would flyyyyyy ... " :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:12 pm

Kyle L wrote:Question -

I was under the assumption Restaurant Hamburgers are not to prepared below Medium.
Is this still correct?

Actually, recently I found it almost anyplace other than a fast food restaurant will cook a burger medium rare for me without question. Ruby Tuesday's evening will cook 1 rare, Pittsburgh style if you want!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:01 am

Mark R. wrote:
Kyle L wrote:Question -

I was under the assumption Restaurant Hamburgers are not to prepared below Medium.
Is this still correct?

Actually, recently I found it almost anyplace other than a fast food restaurant will cook a burger medium rare for me without question. Ruby Tuesday's evening will cook 1 rare, Pittsburgh style if you want!

I concur . . . the reason I listed Austin's American Burger originally is that they will do it rare, and it comes out perfectly!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:03 pm

By all means eat what you want! For me, even as a producer of fine meats and cheeses, I will pass on eating hamburger sashimi.
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:33 pm

I care.
Its why despite the fact that one chain here in Louisville has strong local roots, when they advertised their meat is "corn fed beef" I tend to frequent other establishments. Cows werent created to eat corn, they dont do it very well, and it doesnt add to the flavor of the meat.
Which means your meat very likely has hormones or antibiotics in it used to treat the cows getting sick from eating corn.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:41 pm

Doug Davis wrote:Cows werent created to eat corn, they dont do it very well, and it doesn't add to the flavor of the meat.
Which means your meat very likely has hormones or antibiotics in it used to treat the cows getting sick from eating corn.

no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:14 pm

I don't like hormones or antibiotics in my beef, but I don't ever recall that either are used primarily to counteract the feeding of corn. Have a credible link?
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:38 pm

Bill P wrote:I don't like hormones or antibiotics in my beef, but I don't ever recall that either are used primarily to counteract the feeding of corn. Have a credible link?

One long term study...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19351974

From one story on subject...
According to Michael Pollan, author of the Omnivore’s Dilemma, if we took cows off of a corn diet for 5 days they would shed 80% of the E. coli in their bodies. But corn marbles the meat with desirable fat, so producers don’t want to do that. So what do they do instead?
They develop an experimental vaccine to inject into cattle that supposedly makes them immune to E. coli.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:58 pm

Doug, thanks for the link. I'll concede that this study does show evidence between feed and levels of E. coli within the digestive tract of the animals. It did not demonstrate that this increased level, when contained within the digestive system of the critter was a health hazard to humans, The antibiotics mentioned in the study seem to have been administered in response to feedlot conditions which IMO have more to due to the cesspool conditions on feedlot than the diet.
Again, just to be clear, I am not advocating growth hormones or antibiotics in the food chain, but I'm more reacting to the "why" they are being used.

Here's a fairly balanced article on this subject and its conclusion seems reasonable as well.
http://www.marlerblog.com/lawyer-oped/g ... re-review/
no avatar
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:05 pm

Doug Davis wrote: Cows werent created to eat corn, they dont do it very well, and it doesnt add to the flavor of the meat.

Doug Davis wrote:One long term study...
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19351974

From one story on subject...
But corn marbles the meat with desirable fat, so producers don’t want to do that.

Fat is flavor.
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:05 am

JustinHammond wrote:
Fat is flavor.

Yes which can be gained without feed lot conditions, using a grain/corn or pure corn mixture and filling the cows full of antibiotics.

Just ask ALL of these local beef producers, who happen to produce some of the best beef Ive ever eaten.

http://www.eatwild.com/products/kentucky.html

If you havent had a burger from Dreamcatcher farms you havent lived.
I eat, therefore I am.
PreviousNext