Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

Re: Who's got the city's best burger?

by Steve P » Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:18 am

Jeffrey D. wrote:
DustinStaggers wrote:As far as fast food goes, there is culvers and nothing else. It's delicious.

I've been saying the same thing for years. Nothing comes close to their Double Butterburger Deluxe.

Best non-fastfood is Shady Lane.

Shhhhhhhhh....lets not get the word out, lest the lines get too long. They also have an awesome fish sammich, with the disclaimer that it's not dredged in coarse corn meal and served between two pieces of rye bread, so it probably doesn't hold much appeal in the local area.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:59 pm

Love, love Mussel and Burger...took my daughters there and friends three times. No complaints about the mussels. However on the third visit, my fried green tomato/pimento cheese was so salty, I couldn't eat it. Waiter asked me if I wanted a box for my uneaten burger and I said no. He didn't ask if everything was okay. I didn't want a freebie or to make a scene. I will go back, but if my next burger is that salty I will say something.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:26 pm

Phil Scott wrote:I saw Todd mention the Troll Pub. I once had an AMAZING burger on a pretzel bun there. I've tried to order it three times since then. Each time they were drastically different in terms of what was even on the burger. Patty was clearly processed. It looked like a frozen patty. Ingredients varied wildly too. Haven't been back since due to the fact that the only thing consistent was the lack of quality. Maybe that's changed in the past year.

Yep. I stopped into Troll Pub on Monday for a business lunch. Ordered the burger. Patty was dry. Bun was falling apart. Fries were cold. Wont be back.

My favs:
M&BB CEO with the fois gras.
Hammerhead
*Fastfood burger- Dizzy Whizz

My need to try list-
Shady Lane
Bambi
Eiderdown
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Margie L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:47 pm

by Margie L » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:34 pm

OK, since this topic was first posted, I had a burger at Sidebar. Good lord, if Sidebar isn't on everyone's top five list, they haven't tried it. Go and get an Ambulance Chaser.
User

Craig Foster

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:16 am

by Craig Foster » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:20 pm

The Bard Burger at the Bards Town. Go get one now.
no avatar
User

SilvioM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:13 pm

by SilvioM » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:21 pm

I've had two at Stout and each one was excellent. It's not cheap, and the beer even less so, but the burgers are tender and compiled with thoughtful, complimentary toppings, each delicious and filling. I hope to work my way through more soon. Sides are extra but are big enough to share.

Even more interesting to me -- the place is always packed. It's only been open for 2-3 weeks. Both times that I went, it was SRO. Last night I picked up a carryout sandwich from a lightly populated Epic, went past Stout on the way home and people were waiting outside to get in. On a Tuesday! Granted, it's a small space, but still. They have a big following already and I think they've earned it.
no avatar
User

Joni L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:04 am

by Joni L » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Here's another vote for the CEO burger at M&B. Everything I've had there has been fantastic (I dream about their calamari and daydream about the mussels with blue cheese and beer)... Also, the elk burger at Game was phenomenal and the place had a great vibe. Five Guys does a good job for fast food, and I do enjoy WW Cousins occasionally. Cousins is all about the toppings and their great fresh buns.

I love this list - I've just added a bunch of your recommendations to my "Louisville list". Every time I hear of a new place that gets good buzz I add it, and the list is huge!!! I don't think I will ever get to all of them, but I digress.

I had carryout from Bunz once and liked it, but when I returned with my son and boyfriend several weeks ago, we had a really bad experience... Both of the guys working must have been stoned (I'm not exaggerating) because they moved so slowly. It literally took them over 30 minutes to get our three burgers out, and there was only one other diner there that already had his food. And the door was open on a really hot day. But here's the kicker -- disclaimer -- don't read anymore if you're easily grossed out. The guy at the grill was sweating profusely and had long hair and a long beard, and I tried not to watch, but it ends up because we sat there for so long that all three of us saw him sweat right on the grill. A lot. Dripping off of his beard. We were all kind of in shock and didn't know if we should ask for our money back or just leave, but we didn't want to confront the issue, honestly. My boyfriend soldiered on and ate his burger (gag) but my son and I were so grossed out that we just picked at our fries and threw everything else away. And, as I'm dumping out my son's basket, yep, there was a hair on his burger. A long one. Ugh! It still makes me queasy.
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:22 am

The correct answer is Grind. I'm pretty certain you can find that answer in the holy books of any religion -- it's that good.

Mussel and Burger Bar (most any of the burgers), Bluegrass Burgers (bison burger especially), and a few others come close.

If you catch them on a good day, the beer cheese burger at Troll is pretty good. If you catch them on a bad day, it's like leftover microwaved Hardees. So be forewarned if you haven't tried it!

I want to say Bambi as well, just because everyone always wants to say it, but having had at least a dozen (or maybe a dozen dozen, don't judge me) burgers there now, I can only say it's the perfect burger if you're in a Bambi Bar burger mood.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:51 am

Adam Robinson wrote:The correct answer is Grind. I'm pretty certain you can find that answer in the holy books of any religion -- it's that good.

Mussel and Burger Bar (most any of the burgers), Bluegrass Burgers (bison burger especially), and a few others come close.

I approve this message. In other words, I agree with this message. 8)
User

Ray Griffith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

Highlands

by Ray Griffith » Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:40 pm

Ray Griffith wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:A Twitter connection adds: Holy Grale!

Holy grale is the best I've had in Louisville. When I go there, it's more like an event as opposed to just going for the fine beer and their awesome burger. However, I've yet to try many that are lauded here. Apparently, I have to try Bambi Bar's, Granville's, Grind's etc..

Others I am very impressed with is Jack Fry's, Bluegrass Burgers' and the bison burgers at Cumberland Brews and BBC St. Mathews.

Update;
Holy Grale is still at the top of my list and followed by, in no particular order; Sidebar, Grind, Bambi Bar and Bluegrass Burgers.

(Cumberland Brews' bison burger has fallen down my list and BBC has fallen completely off the list....food-wise, BBC taken a turn for the worse :( )
no avatar
User

Adam Robinson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:39 pm

by Adam Robinson » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:27 am

Ray Griffith wrote:
Ray Griffith wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:A Twitter connection adds: Holy Grale!

Holy grale is the best I've had in Louisville. When I go there, it's more like an event as opposed to just going for the fine beer and their awesome burger. However, I've yet to try many that are lauded here. Apparently, I have to try Bambi Bar's, Granville's, Grind's etc..

Others I am very impressed with is Jack Fry's, Bluegrass Burgers' and the bison burgers at Cumberland Brews and BBC St. Mathews.

Update;
Holy Grale is still at the top of my list and followed by, in no particular order; Sidebar, Grind, Bambi Bar and Bluegrass Burgers.

(Cumberland Brews' bison burger has fallen down my list and BBC has fallen completely off the list....food-wise, BBC taken a turn for the worse :( )

Yeah! What the heck happened to BBC's bison burger? It used to be one of the best around. The last time I had it, unfortunately after having told someone to come have it with me because it was awesome, it was just normal restaurant fare you'd expect at Applebees.
Previous