Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Who's got the city's best burger?

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:47 am

I thought about making this a poll, but decided to keep it an open discussion rather than create a 40-item poll and still leave a contender out:

* What restaurant do you think makes the city's best hamburger? Why?

* Extra credit: Who's got the best veggie burger/bean burger/alternative burger? Why?
User

Marsha L.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Who's got the city's best burger?

by Marsha L. » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:01 pm

There are hamburgers and there are hamburgers. I really can't give a single answer to the traditional burger.

I will say that Shady Lane and Bambi Bar are my two favorite burgers not on wheels. They both share the same qualities of classic, traditional old-fashioned hamburgers: obviously prepared on a well-seasoned flat-top griddle, cheese properly melted on, fresh tomatoes and lettuce, and a bun that's nothing special but completely fresh and inoffensive, a burger delivery system only. Both places have excellent traditional fries, too.

In my opinion, Grind Gourmet Burger Truck really can't be topped in the gourmet category. Their bun IS special (custom-made for them) and so is their 100% local beef, house-ground and hand-pattied. They have many variations and often make whimsical concoctions with stuff like goetta and bone marrow butter. To die for, and easily worth the price - which is, to be fair, a lot higher than the diner versions mentioned above.

What you may find hard to believe is that Jesse and Liz from Grind ALSO feature the city's best "veggie" burger. It's colorful, has a great texture and seasoning, and of course they make it themselves. You can actually eat it right alongside one of their beef show-stoppers and be equally impressed. I'm not kidding.
Marsha Lynch
LEO columnist, free range cook/food writer/food stylist
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:04 pm

The Voice-Tribune editors (who originated this idea) chimed in by Email with their picks:

Mussel & Burger
Bluegrass Burger
Bunz
Bards Town
Bourbons
Sidebar

And:
STEAK ‘N SHAKE. ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:07 pm

There was a time when this was an easy question, but IMHO this has gotten so complex that I applaud your suggestion of discussion rather than a strict vote!

For restaurants, I like Mussels/Burgers . . . Sidebar is good but seems a tad on the smaller side . . . Shady Lane is always good . . . I still like making my own at Cousin's . . . for what it's worth, the guy grilling the American Burger (an old-fashioned patty melt) at Austin's really knows his craft! We've found Bristol Burger hit & miss sometimes (not always done as ordered).

There are tons of other places, but we tend not to order burgers at others.
Andrew Mellman
User

JustinHammond

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Lyndon, KY 40222

by JustinHammond » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:08 pm

Alternative Burger

Mojito

Frita Cubana (Cuban Burger) – A mix of Black Angus beef, Spanish chorizo and Cuban spices. Served in a gourmet bun with lettuce, tomatoes and onions. Topped with crispy Serrano ham, Swiss cheese and potato strings. 9
"The idea is to eat well and not die from it-for the simple reason that that would be the end of your eating." - Jim Harrison

https://www.facebook.com/Louisville-Eat ... 129849554/
no avatar
User

Jason H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:01 pm

by Jason H » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:35 pm

Secretly for a long time my favorite burger was the burger at Proof. Yes, it is wonderful and to sit in that awesome bar and enjoy a burger with an awesome cocktail is amazing.

However, I believe now the best burger may be Mussel and Burger Bar.

Too bad the wait is incredibly too long. It is too far to out from the city center to go there on a whim and the weekends are just crazy busy. You guys need a second location in either the Highlands or Downtown.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:38 pm

A Twitter connection adds: Holy Grale!
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:39 pm

This same question, linked to this thread, has also taken on a life of its own on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/robin.garr/pos ... 2062925362
no avatar
User

Ian C Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:34 pm

New Albany, IN

by Ian C Hall » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:11 pm

My personal fav is the CEO @ Mussel Burger Bar, however we did get some press this week @ The Exchange pub + kitchen......
http://eater.com/archives/2014/02/06/burger-heatmap.php
Ian Hall
President
The Exchange Pub + Kitchen
118 W. Main St.
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-6501
no avatar
User

Robin F.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:50 am

by Robin F. » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:18 pm

Our current favorite is the burger at Z's Oyster Bar, Hurstbourne (Hurshburn for us natives). We can frequently be found on a Friday night with burgers and libations at the bar. The meat is great, topped with cheese and sautéed peppers and onions. I think it's $14.95.
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:48 pm

Acknowledging all the cool kids have a burger crush on Mussel's and Burger bar, count me among the few who were underwhelmed on my one (and only) visit. Out here in the hinterlands there are mixed reviews about Rails (La Grange)...personally I found it to be an awesome burger but two or three other people have reported it to be dry and KY Proudly overrated. Closer in, Five Guys does a good rendition of the old "60's style (flat top cooked and greasy) Bar Burger. Shady Lane will of course -always- be on my list...I'm STILL waiting on someone (locally) who can put out a good rendition of an old Minneapolis style "Juicy Lucy"...without mucking it up with all kinds of foo-foo-ness.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:56 pm

Bunz.

Three reasons:

Quality
Consistency
Value

Bunz consistently delivers the best burger for the price point in the city, in my opinion.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:12 pm

My favorite is the local burger at mussels and burger bar.

I had Proof's burger this weekend and it was good but Bison is just too lean to make a great burger IMO.

I have not tried Bunz or Shady lane, really need to get out to those!
no avatar
User

Ned A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:32 am

Irish Hill

by Ned A » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:23 pm

I am going straight for the extra credit: Silver Dollar has the best veggie burger in town, and BBC does a good version too (my wife's favorite).

For the regular burger: I would have to say I like a burger for its simplicity, and most around town have started adding too many ingredients. It' shard to beat a good crisp lettuce, fresh tomato (in season), and sliced onion for accompaniments. I think Mussel & Burger has great flavors but I found it hard to eat, and the fact that every ingredient is cooked, with multiple flavors added is too much for me. Burgers shouldn't have 20 ingredients... (insert rest of modern burger faux pas rant here). I vote Shady Lane for keepin it classy!
On-Premise Sales
Southern Wine & Spirits
no avatar
User

Jason G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:18 pm

by Jason G » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:49 pm

Ned A wrote:I am going straight for the extra credit: Silver Dollar has the best veggie burger in town, and BBC does a good version too (my wife's favorite).

For the regular burger: I would have to say I like a burger for its simplicity, and most around town have started adding too many ingredients. It' shard to beat a good crisp lettuce, fresh tomato (in season), and sliced onion for accompaniments. I think Mussel & Burger has great flavors but I found it hard to eat, and the fact that every ingredient is cooked, with multiple flavors added is too much for me. Burgers shouldn't have 20 ingredients... (insert rest of modern burger faux pas rant here). I vote Shady Lane for keepin it classy!

Try the local burger next time you go to MBB, I agree that most of their burgers,while good, are almost over the top. The local is just a typical burger (well except local grass fed beef) with like a garlic aioli on it...simple and delicious..
Next