Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Smoked Honey

User

Ken Wilson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:50 pm

Louisville

Smoked Honey

by Ken Wilson » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:03 pm

We went to Mojito's last night and had some stuffed piquillo peppers. I have had them before, but this time I became obsessed with the smoked honey. Googling did not find me any store-bought versions, nor could I find a recipe. I found that it is sometimes used in cocktails (yum!)... How do you make it?
User

Gary Guss

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:18 pm

Van down by the River

Re: Smoked Honey

by Gary Guss » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:28 pm

I guess you could take some honey put it it on a pan on the smoker and smoke it for about 4 hours.. Or you could take some honey and throw in a couple capfuls of liquid smoke and call it done..
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:34 pm

Mojito and Havana Rumba serve a delicious smoked honey with the sweet-potato fries. Perhaps a friendly call during a non-busy time might persuade them to part with a tip or two?
User

Suzi Bernert

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:08 pm

Louisville, KY

by Suzi Bernert » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:40 pm

This is the recipe from the CJ that came with the Mojito's stuffed dates recipe:

1/2 cup honey
2 tablespoons cider or sherry vinegar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke

Mix together well. Serve with dates or with fried sweet potatoes.
Retired from LMEMS
Co-Founder and House Mother
Berndows Enterprise
"Time to eat?"
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:12 pm

We just got home from another delicious meal at Mojito's. I asked our server if the smoked honey was available to purchase and he said it was but, why buy it when it is so easy to make!?!? He gave me essentially the same recipe that Suzi posted. It is truly wonderful!
User

Patrick Kelting

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm

The Burbs

by Patrick Kelting » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:37 pm

I was inspired by Mojitos smoked honey about four years ago & decided to make my own. After trial and error, I came up with the formula that, in my humble opinion, far surpassed Mojitos version. All I use is locally sourced honey & smoke ( a mix of hickory & applewood ). It's a time consuming labor of love; I have the honey in the smoker for 'bout six hours and, I found out, the temp can't get over 'bout 200f. Later I found out that Mojitos uses liquid smoke ( not a good or bad thing as it is a natural product ), but I found my product to have a deeper flavor.
You can find our smoked honey, along with our other gourmet condiments & seasonings, at Rainbow Blossom or come see us at our booth at your local Farmers Market ( during the season ). You can also check us out on Facebook to see our complete catalog. In Nashville you can our find products at Porter Road Butchers ( they have two locations ).

Patrick Kelting
Flying Leap Farm
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:36 pm

I can vouch for Patrick's smoked honey- I have some in my pantry. I was just going to post buying it as a suggestion, and saw that Patrick beat me to it :lol: We love it! :D
Deb
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Patrick Kelting wrote:I was inspired by Mojitos smoked honey about four years ago & decided to make my own. After trial and error, I came up with the formula that, in my humble opinion, far surpassed Mojitos version. All I use is locally sourced honey & smoke ( a mix of hickory & applewood ). It's a time consuming labor of love; I have the honey in the smoker for 'bout six hours and, I found out, the temp can't get over 'bout 200f. Later I found out that Mojitos uses liquid smoke ( not a good or bad thing as it is a natural product ), but I found my product to have a deeper flavor.
You can find our smoked honey, along with our other gourmet condiments & seasonings, at Rainbow Blossom or come see us at our booth at your local Farmers Market ( during the season ). You can also check us out on Facebook to see our complete catalog. In Nashville you can our find products at Porter Road Butchers ( they have two locations ).

Patrick Kelting
Flying Leap Farm

I have their Rosemary infused smoked honey. Used it as the basis for a marinade/rub for a pork shoulder I served for Christmas dinner this year. It was out of this damn world.
I eat, therefore I am.
User

Patrick Kelting

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:39 pm

The Burbs

by Patrick Kelting » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanks for the shout out 'bout our Smoked Honey. We are currently offering our Smoked Honey at our usual locations, but we can infuse your honey with any herbal or citrus flavors upon request. My personal favorites are the Rosemary & the Citrus (Orange & Lime).
Please feel free to contact us at Flying Leap Farm 502-807-9521. Or check us out on Facebook.

P.S. Robin, I'm still jonesin' to meet you.