Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Lisa Stephenson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:06 pm

Jeffersonville, IN

The Exchange's Italian Pop up

by Lisa Stephenson » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:49 pm

My husband was fortunate to be able to attend the Italian “Pop Up” event at the Exchange in New Albany. His ravings sounded so spectacular, I asked him to write up a review so I could share his experience:

“This was a great event. The food was the closest to the real deal that we’ve had since our last trip to Italy for Vin Italy a few years back. Here is my take on the food:

Antipasti: Pickled peppers, toasted cauliflower with pancetta and green olives, Italian sheep’s milk cheese from the roman countryside.
My view: Fantastic starters. The cauliflower was perfectly roasted and delicious and the sheep’s milk cheese was unbelievable.

First Main: 2 plates
Ravioli fresh ricotta, white truffle, brown butter, balsamic vinegar, chicory
Risotto rice, sausage, fennel, dried mushrooms, Parmesan
My view: This was the lightest ravioli I have ever had; the dough was nearly transparent. The taste was perfect. The risotto was light and creamy and the flavor balance was spot on for a cold snowy night.

Intermezzo- Berry sorbet
A welcome palate cleanser via the co-owner of the upcoming Comfy Cow of New Albany.

Second Main
Braised flank steak in tomato sauce
The flank steak was prepared in a rolled fashion and served with a heavily reduced tomato sauce. The steak and the sauce were succulent and required only a butter knife to cut. The proportion of sauce was perfect. Not slathered on to overtake the flavor of the meat but well balanced.

Italian salt cod, polenta, anchovies and milk
This was the Northern Italian showstopper aka Polenta e Baccala! The polenta was light and creamy the fish was so tender and the sparing use of anchovies gave this the taste I remember best from our time in Italy.

Ricotta stuffed eggplant in spicy tomato sauce
Perfectly prepared eggplant not a soggy mess.

Sides
Broccoli rabe cakes
Fried peppers from Naples
The cakes were fantastic. Likely used an egg binder. The peppers had a lot of flavor and were prepared slightly beyond al dente.

Dessert
Ricotta cheesecake
Very nice! Not normally one of my favorite desserts, however, the use of ricotta made this a real cheesy treat.

Chocolate cream pudding
The rich chocolate pudding was served with a raspberry reduction with fresh berries on top, Devine!

Overall, The event was truly something different. The wait staff all dressed and looked the part of a refined but casual joint. It truly did give the feel of a dining occasion in Northern Italy. It begs the question, why isn’t someone doing authentic Italian on this scale everyday? I certainly hope that these dinners “Pop Up” more regularly. “
User

Stephen D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:41 am

Lyndon, Ky

Re: The Exchange's Italian Pop up

by Stephen D » Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:42 am

What a great review!

8)