Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Is The main entree obsolete

no avatar
User

NeilDSmith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Sellersburg

Is The main entree obsolete

by NeilDSmith » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:39 pm

Read an great article NY Times 12/5 Is the entree heading for extinction?
Are protein laden dishes - too many bites of the same thing - thus boring?
I agree, to sit and have my whole meal the same bite from beginning to end is boring. Love to hear your thoughts.
Neil Smith
The Fireside Bar & Grill
Sellersburg, IN
no avatar
User

Linda C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:38 pm

by Linda C » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:45 pm

Totally agree! Many of us have given up meat and poultry. I know my Dad still loves his T-Bone steak, but I prefer veggie options and small plates, tapas, etc.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:10 pm

I wouldn't saying the entree has disappeared but it has evolved and will continue to evolve. Portion size has decreased in general and in many cases has become healthier due to a reduction of the "bad" things that are added to them. The type of entree has also changed with more emphasis being placed on seafood, chicken and other non red meat proteins. Add to the ever growing emphasis on ethnic cuisines and every one can easily see how all entrees have evolved but are still here.

Yes, we have tapas and other small dishes that have evolved into multi course meals, but what are these? Are they really just entrees that are small portions? According to webster's definition entree is "the main course of a meal in the United States", from what I see every meal will have a main course in one way or another no matter what. Thus entrees will not disappear only evolve!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Leah S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:31 pm

Old Louisville

by Leah S » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:29 am

I know that I frequently make a meal off the appetizer menu. Generally speaking, they're just more interesting.

We were recently on a cruise where as you know you can order whatever you want. The first time I ordered 5 apps and no entree, no sides, etc. our server was pretty confused. However, I created a lovely dinner of small bites that even included a fruit dessert from the app menu. I was happy.
no avatar
User

Aaron Newton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:34 pm

by Aaron Newton » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:59 am

Leah s wrote:I know that I frequently make a meal off the appetizer menu. Generally speaking, they're just more interesting.

We were recently on a cruise where as you know you can order whatever you want. The first time I ordered 5 apps and no entree, no sides, etc. our server was pretty confused. However, I created a lovely dinner of small bites that even included a fruit dessert from the app menu. I was happy.

I remember I went out with some co-workers in the first few weeks of my first co-op around 1996. I ordered a meal of two or three selections from the appetizer menu. My co-workers looked at me like I was weird, and after the server (who had no issues with it) left, several of them criticized me for not ordering something "normal", and not in a joking manner. Needless to say I never went out with them again after that... made for a fairly boring social experience that term. Ordering from the appetizers often IS one of the most interesting dining choices.
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:44 am

Does anyone remember the "grazing" phenomenon from the eighties? It seems to me it was the precursor here in America to all the tapas and small bites we have now. There were large, fancy restaurants in NY devoted to the trend- and then it vanished.
I think small plates are a great way to eat because your palate never gets overwhelmed with one or two tastes; and you can really get an idea of the chef's vision through the variety of things you try.
To speak of this as a recent trend seems incorrect to me- haven't top end restaurants been doing tasting menus for years?
On the lower end of the dining scale, isn't that what why buffets have remained so popular throughtout the years? In their own way buffets offer the public a way of dining on small bites if they choose.
Of course they can also eat all the slabs of top round they want.
Life really is a banquet! Hurray!
no avatar
User

Sherry Deatrick

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:01 pm

by Sherry Deatrick » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:33 pm

removed
Last edited by Sherry Deatrick on Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Kurt R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:08 am

Louisville, KY

by Kurt R. » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:48 pm

I would say that typically an item from the dinner menu is over portioned and over priced. I eat a heavier lunch and a lighter dinner, personally but know that everyone is different.
I prefer a variety of appetizers or a TAPAS menu myself. A restaurant could easily add TAPAS to see how it would work in their establishment. Do I think it would work in Sellersburg Indiana? Who knows? I say it is worth experimenting with.
Kurt

Character is measured by a series of split second decisions.