Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Wild Boar

User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Wild Boar

by TP Lowe » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:44 am

Until last night I had never had boar. One of my favorite white tablecloth restaurants has it on their menu this winter (which, by the way, can go away any time now). While the flavor was good, and not gamey at all, it was really tough. Is that the norm? Anybody else tried it recently?
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

Re: Wild Boar

by Andrew Mellman » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:58 am

It's been a while now, but I remember it as being nowhere near as tender as today's pork, but I wouldn't have called it "tough." There were only a few cuts which could be grilled/baked/broiled, and most had to be stewed to be sure it was tender, but those few cuts did provide great tasting meat.

I would have thought a great restaurant would know how to cook each cut? Which white tablecloth???
Andrew Mellman
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:31 pm

TP,
We had excellent Wild Boar in Tuscany- particularly the ragu which is a local specialty. Typically it is braised- I 've never had it be tough but these were very long- cooked preparations.
Deb
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:28 am

Hey, Deb,

These were chops, apparently seared then finished in the oven. Not sure what happened. Tuscany? I'm guessing that's where I should go to get my next boar!

Todd
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:14 am

what I had were chops also, but they were sliced almost paper thin and then very quickly seared . . . I'd compare the consistency to country ham (the way it's usually served, in shavings)
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Doug A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:47 pm

Highlands

by Doug A » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:26 am

Yep, I had some chops last week and they were a considerably tougher or maybe it was a more dense texture than I expected. Probably not something I'd get again given the expense.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:31 am

Interesting on the chops. I'm a little surprised they would prepare them like that - wild boar is inherently leaner than pork as they have to work for their food. Ironically I'm planning to make some wild boar ragu next week for a dinner party, so I'd been doing a good bit of reading about preparing it. The things I've read about it talked about cooking it low and slow due to the toughness issue.
Deb
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:00 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Interesting on the chops. I'm a little surprised they would prepare them like that - wild boar is inherently leaner than pork as they have to work for their food. Ironically I'm planning to make some wild boar ragu next week for a dinner party, so I'd been doing a good bit of reading about preparing it. The things I've read about it talked about cooking it low and slow due to the toughness issue.
Deb

Like many beef steaks: either cook them rare, quick, and slice very thin across the grain (like flat iron or flank steaks) or cook them low, slow, in a braise/stew/similar. Sometimes cooking low/slow in a braise causes them to lose some of their identity (eg: take on flavors of the seasonings and liquor), many do it the fast/thin way so they still retain that wild gamy flavor.
Andrew Mellman
User

Adriel Gray

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

Louisville Slugger

by Adriel Gray » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:18 pm

Deb Hall wrote:Interesting on the chops. I'm a little surprised they would prepare them like that - wild boar is inherently leaner than pork as they have to work for their food. Ironically I'm planning to make some wild boar ragu next week for a dinner party, so I'd been doing a good bit of reading about preparing it. The things I've read about it talked about cooking it low and slow due to the toughness issue.
Deb

I too am surprised that someone would do an entire chop. Although the domesticated animal's genetics have been refined to eliminate the toughness inherent in their wild cousins, I think the big difference is lifestyle between the two animals. So I would agree with your assessment Deb that foraging and exposure to the elements makes for a much leaner and far more muscled wild animal. Not to mention the glandular situation that arises from a non castrated animal. :? I've only ever had ground wild boar.
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:28 pm

Adriel Gray wrote:
Deb

I too am surprised that someone would do an entire chop. Although the domesticated animal's genetics have been refined to eliminate the toughness inherent in their wild cousins, I think the big difference is lifestyle between the two animals. So I would agree with your assessment Deb that foraging and exposure to the elements makes for a much leaner and far more muscled wild animal. Not to mention the glandular situation that arises from a non castrated animal. :? I've only ever had ground wild boar.

Wow- and now things get racy on Hotbytes... :wink:
Great insights, Adriel!