Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

King Cakes

no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

King Cakes

by RonnieD » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:19 pm

Is anyone locally doing real King Cakes this year for Mardi Gras? I know a few places make something that is basically a cheese danish and toss purple/gold/green sprinkles on it and call it King Cake, but I'm looking for someone who might be making something a bit more authentic. I'm looking to sell them in our store, so they would need to be from someone capable of making several.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

Re: King Cakes

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:41 pm

I believe in the past people have said that Nord's bakery as well as Sweet Surrender both make good ones.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:47 pm

Plehn's? A foodie friend who grew up in New Orleans always swore by them.
no avatar
User

Alanna H

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm

Colorado Springs

by Alanna H » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:42 pm

I've only had the ones from Heitzman's. Not sure how authentic they are, though.
no avatar
User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

by Carol C » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:59 am

This was on the Louisville Dessert Truck's FB page. Leah (Stewart) makes such wonderful cakes, I can't imagine that these wouldn't be also! She is a Forum member.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 224%2C2048
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:15 pm

I lived in New Orleans for many years and think Nord's king cake is the best in town. I just stopped in yesterday to order one (you have to preorder them; they're $28). Heiztmann's usually has a stack prepared so you can probably just walk in and grab one; I thought those were much less of a value in terms of price/quantity. Value Market sells them as well, along with the other places mentioned in this thread. The Value Market ones I think are about average but much less expensive than the specialty bakery versions. I take those to work but eat the Nord's ones at home. I've never tried Plehn's but I might this year.

Pretty much every store in New Orleans from Krogers to the neighborhood bakeries offer some version of a king cake during Mardi Gras (as you know Ronnie). Most of them are relatively dry and tasteless, but there's one on every break room table in town on Fridays.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:19 pm

We usually ship in Gambino's, but I've been a tad busy this year and I lost track of time.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll check around!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:43 pm

RonnieD wrote:We usually ship in Gambino's, but I've been a tad busy this year and I lost track of time.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'll check around!

I shipped one from Randazzo to my daughter. For the last few years the Times-Picayune has rated the 58 best king cakes in New Orleans and they were tops last year with their praline king cake. Not cheap, but the reports from my daughter were that it was worthy. :D
https://www.randazzokingcake.com
no avatar
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:50 pm

Ronnie,
I'd check to see what Leah can do- her desserts are great.
Deb
no avatar
User

Harry Dennery

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:59 pm

by Harry Dennery » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:59 pm

I admit to a bias but having entered the food industry in 1970 and the premier Bakery Supply Distributor and manufacturer in the Southeast, I either used Haydel's or Gambinos. They were great customers of ours. You can't go wrong. Randazzo's also has a great reputation but I wasn't as close to them as the other two.
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

by Jon K » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:44 pm

Harry Dennery wrote:I admit to a bias but having entered the food industry in 1970 and the premier Bakery Supply Distributor and manufacturer in the Southeast, I either used Haydel's or Gambinos. They were great customers of ours. You can't go wrong. Randazzo's also has a great reputation but I wasn't as close to them as the other two.

I defer to my fellow New Orleanian's judgement and expertise! Have shipped several Gambino 1/2 and 1/2 doberge cakes to my mishpocha in the New Orleans diaspora. Much respect to Harry!