Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Italian Pop Up

no avatar
User

Ian C Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:34 pm

New Albany, IN

Italian Pop Up

by Ian C Hall » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:12 am

For Immediate Release
Tel.: 812.948.6501
Email: Ian@exchangeforfood.com

The Exchange pub + kitchen to host Italian Pop Up Restaurant

New Albany, IN (January 30, 2014) The Exchange pub + kitchen will be hosting an its first pop up restaurant next Tuesday night, February 2, 2014 on the mezzanine level of The Exchange. The private space will be transformed into Alla Buona Derrata, which translates to “The Good Stuff.” This will be a one night only event with limited seating available. The evening will featuring a five course dining experience, focusing on rustic italian fare, prepared by Executive Chef Robert Temple and his culinary team. An optional wine and cocktail pairing will also be available for an additional $25 per person. Tickets for Alla Buona Derrata will be available by reservation only.

“I am extremely excited about this concept. We have a beautiful space on the mezzanine level above The Exchange pub + kitchen that we get to showcase to our guests in a completely different manner. As a restauranteur, I get the opportunity to create, design, and develop an exciting new concept for one evening only. It's a small cozy space, with only 6-8 tables and the bar for seating. It also gives Chef and his culinary team an opportunity to get even more creative and think outside of their normal comfort zone, “ says Owner Ian Hall.

To make reservations for Alla Buona Derrata, please 812.948.6501 and reference "Italian pop up" or send an email to info@exchageforfood.com. First seating begins at 5:30 p.m.

Recognized as the premier dining venue for outstanding cuisine since it opened in 2011, The Exchange pub + kitchen restaurant has received numerous local and regional acclaim. Located in historic downtown New Albany, the timeless design, 20 foot soaring ceilings with steel beam trusses, top-notch service are just a few notables that continue to give guests a wonderful dining experience. The Exchange pub + kitchen is the perfect setting for intimate and grand dining affairs, business outings, and all your special dining needs.
For more information about The Exchange pub + kitchen, please visit our website at http://www.exchangeforfood.com, or contact us at (812) 948.6501.

Menu to be as follows.

ALLA BUONA DERRATA "the good stuff"

Antipasti

peperoni sott'aceto, cavolfiore al forno con pancetta e olive verde, caccio roma
pickled peppers, toasted cauliflower with pancetta and green olives,
italian sheeps milk cheese from the roman countryside

Primo
First

Raviolo al Uovo
ricotta fresca, tartufo bianco, burro rosolato, balsamico, cicoria
egg raviolo, fresh ricotta, white truffle, brown butter, balsamic vinegar, chicory

Risotto alla Toscana
salsiccia, finocchio, funghi secchi, parmigianio
arborio rice, sausage, fennel, dried mushrooms, parmesan

Intermezzo

Sorbetto ai frutti di bosco
mixed berry sorbet

IL Secondo
Mains

Braciole Frittelle di Rapini
bistecca brasato, marinara, parmigiano
braised flank steak in tomato sauce

Baccala alla Veneta Napoletana
acciughe, latte, polenta
italian salt cod, polenta, anchovies and milk

Involtini di Melanzane
sugo all'arrabbiata, parmigiano, ricotta
ricotta stuffed eggplant in spicy tomato sauce

Contorno
Sides

Frittelle di rapini
broccoli rabe cakes

Peperoni fritti ala Napoletana
fried peppers from Naples

Verdure alla griglia
grilled vegetables

Dolce

Budino di Rocotta
ricotta cheesecake

Panna Cotta al Cioccolato
chocolate cream pudding
Ian Hall
President
The Exchange Pub + Kitchen
118 W. Main St.
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-6501
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Italian Pop Up

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:48 am

Sounds awesome, Ian! I'm drooling after just reading the menu items.

One small request for the future, please? (This is not meant as criticism, but I'm expressing it in public so other restaurateurs will receive the message also.) If you wish to post about a commercial event - particularly if it's not a charitable benefit - please run it by me first. I'll always say, "Sure!" But I will also ask that you please keep it to the facts and avoid PR hype.

In other words, I am certain that in your well justified pride for Exchange Pub + Kitchen you sincerely believe every word of this paragraph:

Recognized as the premier dining venue for outstanding cuisine since it opened in 2011, The Exchange pub + kitchen restaurant has received numerous local and regional acclaim. Located in historic downtown New Albany, the timeless design, 20 foot soaring ceilings with steel beam trusses, top-notch service are just a few notables that continue to give guests a wonderful dining experience. The Exchange pub + kitchen is the perfect setting for intimate and grand dining affairs, business outings, and all your special dining needs.

I'd really rather have you let us figure this out for ourselves rather than including it in your announcement, though. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Ian C Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany, IN

by Ian C Hall » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:07 pm

Sure thing Robin, feel free to edit anything necessary and repost.
Ian Hall
President
118 W. Main St.
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-6501
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:28 pm

Nah, it's a good "teaching moment" for everyone, and again, please don't feel picked on, Ian. Your intentions were good. I'm happy to let this one stand. :)
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:19 pm

It's true, Robin has to reel me in on a regular basis. I get excitable.

The event sounds tremendous! Thanks for sharing!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Ian C Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany, IN

by Ian C Hall » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:47 pm

I don't mind being made an example of, lol. Thanks for the review by the way.
Ian Hall
President
118 W. Main St.
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-6501
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Isn't the use of "Pop Up" here a bit of a misnomer? Wouldn't a Pop Up be something that lasts for at least a few days and most probably longer? And how do you "pop up" a restaurant within a restaurant? It seems like this is just a private service with an Italian menu......don't get me wrong, its a great idea, and the menu looked enticing. Its the term that confuses me. Can someone please clarify?
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Ian C Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany, IN

by Ian C Hall » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:23 pm

As I searched for a way to describe our one night only dinner, the term pop up was the closest I could come to what I felt we would be doing. Just to be perfectly clear, this dining experience will be located on the mezzanine level above The Exchange. Not sure if you have dined with us before, but if you had it may be easier to visualize. The space upstairs is completely private, with its own 15 foot bar, restrooms, and entrance. For one night only we will change the decor, ambiance, and service style, therefore transforming the space. The Exchange will operate as business as usual downstairs just as we do every night, so it's not a takeover of the space. If anyone has a better term to describe the concept, please feel free to let me know. We will essentially be operating 2 menus out of one kitchen, quite a challenge for my team. They are geared up for the challenge, and look forward to showcasing a different set of skills and cuisine to our guests.
Ian Hall
President
118 W. Main St.
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-6501
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:00 am

Popup is a pretty standard way to refer to these kinds of events, even if they last only one night.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:22 pm

Thanks for the clarifications. I had never heard of the term used here in Louisville as it regards restaurants. I was familiar with the Halloween stores, GIlt and other on-line retailers using space temporarily. After further research it seems that the term is defined rather loosely as it regards food. I also saw the term "pop up dinner" "supper clubs" "restaurant day" etc.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

Ian C Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

New Albany, IN

by Ian C Hall » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:31 pm

No worries Jamie, I was a little hestitant on the name pop up just because I am used to it being someplace that is typically not a restaurant. My situation is a little different so I felt it worked. Now the question is, since you are so enticed by the idea, have you booked your reservation for Alla Buona Derrata? I think there may only be a couple of tables and barstool left.
Ian Hall
President
118 W. Main St.
New Albany, IN 47150
812-948-6501