Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Home Use Expresso Machine

User

Carol C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 pm

Home Use Expresso Machine

by Carol C » Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:47 pm

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good home use expresso machine? We would love to get our son-in-law one for Christmas but, not being coffee drinkers, we are not sure where to start. He likes to tamp his own grinds and not use the pods. Robin, if this needs to be moved to the Kitchen Forum, please do so. Just thought I would start here for the most exposure. We are not interested in a $3000 machine but are willing to pay what it takes to get a decent one. Thanks.
User

Ned Weatherby

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:29 pm

LaGrange

What I got

by Ned Weatherby » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:06 pm

I got this for my wife who is a starbucks junkie after a cheaper one crapped out after a month or two. This thing is built like a tank for the price.
http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/rancilio_silvia/dsblv
Good Eats
no avatar
User

Jeff T

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:45 pm

Louisville

by Jeff T » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:20 pm

A company called Nuova Simionelli makes a very nice home machine called Osacar for around $900 It is a restaurant quality machine. Self contained water tank so you can use it anywhere you have 110volt outlet. Comes with single and double porta filters. It has REALLY good steam which I think separates it from other home units.
no avatar
User

Cristina M

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:59 pm

2231 Holiday Manor Center

by Cristina M » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:24 pm

We bought one in starbucks and it is awesome it has not once broken down and we've had it for 3 years of very high use.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:13 am

I have a Francis Francis X5 espresso machine that conked out after about two years. I've heard that the Rancilio Silvia is the best machine for home use.
User

TanyaD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:31 am

Louisville

La Pavoni

by TanyaD » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:25 am

My very expensive La Pavoni Europiccola made the best espresso I have ever had, but stopped working after about 5 years, so I don't recommend it. :evil:
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Home Use Expresso Machine

by Robin Garr » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:45 am

Carol C wrote:Does anyone have a recommendation for a good home use expresso machine? We would love to get our son-in-law one for Christmas but, not being coffee drinkers, we are not sure where to start. He likes to tamp his own grinds and not use the pods. Robin, if this needs to be moved to the Kitchen Forum, please do so. Just thought I would start here for the most exposure. We are not interested in a $3000 machine but are willing to pay what it takes to get a decent one. Thanks.

We got a Krups on an after-Christmas sale for about $250 at the store then called Shillito's, so you can see it's been around for quite a while. It's pretty much a stripped-down model, but it's certainly reliable, pulls a pretty, crema-topped shot from either tamped ground espresso beans or Illy pods, and has a very basic little milk wand that steams up a decent latte.

I still give Heine's a lot of my business, but if I make even half of all the skim and 2% lattes I drink at home, it easily paid for itself in the first year.

I also hear good things about the Rancilio Silvia, though, and if the Krups ever does go around the bend, that's likely what I'll get to replace it.
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:37 pm

The best coffee in New Albany is in the kitchen of my house, and also my friends Jon and Ed.

That's because we bought home Saeco models from Tommie Mudd at Caffe Classico.

Call him immediately.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

amy lyons

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:29 pm

Highlands

by amy lyons » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:00 pm

Roger A. Baylor wrote:The best coffee in New Albany is in the kitchen of my house, and also my friends Jon and Ed.

That's because we bought home Saeco models from Tommie Mudd at Caffe Classico.

Call him immediately.

I second these machines. We purchased one last year at Costco and it is amazing.
"All I ask of food is that it doesn't harm me."
Michael Palin
no avatar
User

christopher stockton

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:23 pm

by christopher stockton » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:39 pm

Tommie's your man...

The Rancilio Silvia is very sweet but expensive, they are basically a La Marzocco, which is an Italian made, top of the line industrial espresso machine ,but half the price and with different wrapping.

Tommie can probably get you a nice Saeco though.

Sounds like someone is in for a xmas to remember.
"It's crazy good sandwiches"
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:50 pm

This is a great website for comparing different espresso machines.

http://www.wholelattelove.com/espresso.cfm
no avatar
User

Gretchen D.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:18 pm

the Highlands

by Gretchen D. » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:46 pm

I also have a Saeco, purchased from Costco, and I love it. Make sure you get a machine with a bypass doser so you can make decaf. Everyone we have over loves the shots we pull... of course they're free so why would they complain?! I don't think you would be disappointed in a Saeco... I'd check Costco online, too... often they have discounts on their machines.