Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

Karem's Pub and Grill in Norton Commons.

by Doogy R » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:54 pm

This is a really good article about the new place way out in Norton Commons. I haven't been there but plan on a visit very soon, based on this article.

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... /-1/ZONE04

On quote states "Karem's soon will have company: A small Asian restaurant is slated to move in next door in the summer, and a Gelato's ice cream/coffee shop is planned for May a few doors down, said Robin Hall, Norton Commons' sales and marketing director."

I wonder if that will be Gilberto's Gelato that was in the Summit last year. I became addicted to Gilberto's and am jonesing VERY badly right now. Please be Gilberto's at Norton Commons.
Last edited by Doogy R on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Ed Vermillion

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:32 pm

38 degrees 25' 25' N 85 degrees 36' 2' W

by Ed Vermillion » Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:25 pm

I hope that the gelato place mentioned in the story is the return of Gelato Gilberto from The Summit. They had some sublime lemon gelato. :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: Karem's Pub and Grill in Norton Commons.

by Robin Garr » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:18 pm

Doogy R wrote:I wonder if that will be Gilberto's Gelato that was in the Summit last year. I became addicted to Gilberto's and am jonesing VERY badly right now. Please be Gilberto's at Norton Commons.

I'm pretty sure it is. They told me in the fall when they closed that they planned to reopen either in Norton Commons or on Bardstown. Naturally I encouraged them to go Bardstown, but Potemkin^H^H^H^H Norton Commons will do.

Karem's is most excellent, too. I've been a couple of times - review coming in The Voice on April 4, I think. Particularly recommended: The Boss Burger with everything, in a wrap. Amazing presentation, amazing juice burger.
no avatar
User

Doogy R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:15 pm

The purlieus of Louisville, KY

by Doogy R » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:30 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Doogy R wrote:I wonder if that will be Gilberto's Gelato that was in the Summit last year. I became addicted to Gilberto's and am jonesing VERY badly right now. Please be Gilberto's at Norton Commons.

I'm pretty sure it is. They told me in the fall when they closed that they planned to reopen either in Norton Commons or on Bardstown. Naturally I encouraged them to go Bardstown, but Potemkin^H^H^H^H Norton Commons will do.

Karem's is most excellent, too. I've been a couple of times - review coming in The Voice on April 4, I think. Particularly recommended: The Boss Burger with everything, in a wrap. Amazing presentation, amazing juice burger.

I am sure it's killing you, and a lot of this board, that we are getting some great stuff out here in the burbs, but that is EXACTLY what Norton Commons was built to do. I think it's AMAZING, to use your vernacular. By the way, why drive business OUT of Louisville, especially an INDIE, to a place 40 miles down the road? That just seems misguided to me.
Great food along with great company is truly one of lifes best treasures.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:09 am

Doogy R wrote:I think it's AMAZING, to use your vernacular. By the way, why drive business OUT of Louisville, especially an INDIE, to a place 40 miles down the road? That just seems misguided to me.

Uhh ... Bardstown ROAD. In the Highlands.

Don't get me wrong, I like Norton Commons, certainly compared with the standard tract mansion. It does strike me as a sort of sanitized and "safe" replica of a real urban village, though ... sort of like going to Epcot because it's so much cleaner than Paris.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:32 pm

Doogy R wrote:
Robin Garr wrote:

By the way, why drive business OUT of Louisville, especially an INDIE, to a place 40 miles down the road? That just seems misguided to me.

I agree Doogy. They shouldn't have gone all the way out to Norton Commons.

I do think Norton Commons is a good idea though. That's the one that they are building to look like Old Louisville right? But, kind of like a movie set. They should've called it Faux Louisville.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:17 pm

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:47 pm

Did you ever think that they moved to be where they would make the most money....and they could out here....
no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

by Heather Y » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:18 pm

Faux Louisville!!!!! LOL that is so True! funny ron, funny! :D
no avatar
User

Jerry Zegart

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:59 pm

Norton Commons

Gilberto's Gelato will be in Norton Commons...

by Jerry Zegart » Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:20 am

I understand that Gilberto's Gelato that was in the Summit will be opening in Norton Commons in the next few months along with an Asian Restaurant and some other new businesses. But before then you should stop by Norton Commons and experience (Louie's) Karem's... It's a modern day Cheers with great food and a good time for all ages. It’s the kind of place that you instantly feel welcomed.

By the way you may also want to check out what neighborhoods were like years ago and everybody actually knew and cared about their neighbors. Norton Commons is not trying to imitate anything; it is more about recreating a way of life that many of us only faintly remember. A true sense of community that is much more than bricks and mortar.

Keep in mind too that when you do come out that you are only seeing a fraction of what will be... I have lived in Norton Commons for just over 1 1/2 years and to say least I am very excited about where we are today and where we will be over the next 10 years...

So stop by and check out Norton Common's 1st two businesses, Karems Grill & Pub and Saratoga Accessories and Design located in the live-works district on Noreton Commons Blvd and imagine what will be over the years ahead.

PS... The Karem's Triangle Steak Sandwich is my personal favorite with grilled onions and chips for only $6.95! But you really can't go wrong with anything on the menu from Soups, Salads, Sandwiches and full course meals. There is truely something for every taste and budget.

no avatar
User

Heather Y

{ RANK }

In Time Out Room

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Prospect

norton

by Heather Y » Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:51 am

when I first heard about NC I thought it could be a good idea, (from small hood in NY), but now it looks a little "Stepford" and isolated from the rest of the city. There are amenities, i.e. banks, restaurants, shops, offices, etc.
folks will never have to leave for anything......... :idea:

Although, only yesterday I said I really miss being able to walk to get somewhere. I hate driving around here.. I used to go out of my home walk down the street, and go to get the NY times, a bagel, a few groceries, go to the bank ... etc.

What are other's thoughts on Norton Commons,

BTW, I love the look of the front of Karem's!
no avatar
User

Jon K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:22 pm

Give me a break- mini rant

by Jon K » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:14 am

Forgive me, but I thought this board was about food and restaurants. Arguably one of the best poboys in New Orleans is found at Danny and Clyde's. It's located in a gas station in the middle of a nasty neon strip in a suburb. Or maybe you'd like to eat a trout meuniere that is as good as Galatoire's for less than half the price. You'll find that at Mr. Ed's in the burbs about two miles from Danny and Clyde's. This elitism about where a restaurant is located is making some people forget that it's all about the food.
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Give me a break- mini rant

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:56 am

Jon K wrote:Forgive me, but I thought this board was about food and restaurants. Arguably one of the best poboys in New Orleans is found at Danny and Clyde's. It's located in a gas station in the middle of a nasty neon strip in a suburb. Or maybe you'd like to eat a trout meuniere that is as good as Galatoire's for less than half the price. You'll find that at Mr. Ed's in the burbs about two miles from Danny and Clyde's. This elitism about where a restaurant is located is making some people forget that it's all about the food.

Here are a list of the elite restaurants I really like in Louisville elite urban areas:

Granville Inn
Flabby's
Check's Cafe
Bambi Bar
3rd Avenue Cafe
Luigi's
Cunningham's
Mayan Gypsy
Windy City Pizza

I'll often meet other elites there. We wear our yachting attire with silk ascots firmly knotted about our neck. Some of the chaps, like Thurston or Winthrop, will occassionally regale us with tales of going on safari in darkest Africa or sailing in the America's Cup.

Seriously, I love the "elite" jab. It's straight out of the Rush Limbaugh playbook. Someone says something you don't like? Just call them elite. You'll often see it used as a derogatory comment aimed at someone who had the audacity to better him or herself through education. This type of person is described as an academic elite.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:59 am

:roll: :roll: :roll: I go to "ELITE" Chains to eat..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
no avatar
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Re: Gilberto's Gelato will be in Norton Commons...

by Ron Johnson » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:59 am

jzegart wrote:By the way you may also want to check out what neighborhoods were like years ago and everybody actually knew and cared about their neighbors. Norton Commons is not trying to imitate anything; it is more about recreating a way of life that many of us only faintly remember. A true sense of community that is much more than bricks and mortar.

Not only did I check out what those neighborhoods were like, I bought a home in one: Old Louisville.

There is no shame in the fact that NC is seeking to recreate that type of neighborhood . . . but for the ethnic cleansing aspect of it. I do find that a bit troubling.
no avatar
User

robert szappanos

{ RANK }

Foodie

louisville, ky

by robert szappanos » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:29 am

:) It seems like nothing pleases you or can be done right in the burbs...Norton Commons is a great idea. It sure beats the standard sub division look.... :shock:
Next