Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Has anyone been to Jasmine Greek in Buechel?

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:00 pm

A friend mentioned it to me today, but it was completely off my radar. Jasmine Greek, a tiny, mostly take-out Greek sandwich eatery on Old Bardstown Road in Buechel, just a few doors south of White Castle on the same side of the road.

If you've been, let us know what you thought!
no avatar
User

Steve Andriot

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:31 pm

Re: Has anyone been to Jasmine Greek in Buechel?

by Steve Andriot » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:39 pm

There was a Bosnian bakery called Jasmine in that area. I haven't been for a while but they had an awesome gyro served on fresh bread instead of a pita.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:23 pm

Steve Andriot wrote:There was a Bosnian bakery called Jasmine in that area. I haven't been for a while but they had an awesome gyro served on fresh bread instead of a pita.

Now, that's ringing a bell, Steve! Maybe my friend got slightly confused about its ethnicity, although we found an UrbanSpoon recipe that called it "Jasmine Greek." Of course, that's UrbanSpoon ... :oops:
no avatar
User

Michael S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:39 pm

by Michael S » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:35 am

Actually, it is called Jasmine Bakery and they are Bosnian. They primarily sell the heck out freshly baked breads and rolls but they also offer a limited menu of hot sandwiches and a few other specialties but people carry Pop's bread out by the grocery bags full. They do offer gyros on a large yeast bun that is very good. They make the buns I use on my Ky Bison burger, Fox Hollow Farm Ribeye, and my JDavy burger made from Southern Shorthorn beef raised and bread in Goshen. They use to be next door to Bosna Mart a couple of blocks south on what I call Old Bardstown Road. Moved into new digs about a year ago in a building they built across from Angelo's pizza. Great father and son operation. If you go don't be in a hurry because they aren't. Normally it is just Pops and Jasmine and people wait patiently 8 & 10 deep at lunch while they do their thing. They are open lunch and for an early dinner 6 or 7. Get there early if you want to take home some of their freshly baked bread.
Culinary delight is in the palate of the indulger.
Burning Bush Grille
Mediterranean Cafe
http://www.burningbushgrille.com
13206 W Hwy 42
Prospect, KY. 40059
no avatar
User

Bryan Shepherd

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:58 pm

Between Here and There

by Bryan Shepherd » Sun Jan 19, 2014 12:34 pm

That mile or so stretch on Bardstown Rd has a ton of ethnic shops/stores/restaurants. There is an Asian food store next to a Mediterranean Restaurant called Petra, which is across the street from a Russian/International food store, which is next to a new Bosnian coffee shop (I think)....and closer to Hikes Ln you have Angio's Pizza, which, by definition is Italian:-) I think there are a few more shops on Bradford Drive also, which is the side street from the coffee shop and Fern and Moody's Liquor Store.
BShep
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:46 pm

Bryan Shepherd wrote:Mediterranean Restaurant called Petra.

I really like it ... it's run by Jordanians, and the food has a bit of a specific ethnic touch, although it's pretty much Southwest Asian/Mediterranean, as you say. I reviewed it back when it was fairly new, probably ought to treat myself to another visit!

http://www.louisvillehotbytes.com/a-tas ... iterranean

I notice that my intro to that review pretty much echoed what you just said:

Even amid our town’s evolution toward ethnic diversity over the past generation, the stretch of Bardstown Road in Buechel stands out. Within a few steps of Six Mile Lane, you’ll find an Asian market run by a Korean family, a European market run by a Russian family and a string of Bosnian businesses, including a restaurant-market and a bakery.

Recently joining the mix is Petra Mediterranean, a family-run spot that offers the cuisines of the eastern Mediterranean and southwest Asia, with accents from the proprietors’ homeland, Jordan.
no avatar
User

Richard S.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:47 pm

by Richard S. » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Is Bosna-Mak still in that neighborhood? I recall their gyros as being pretty tasty.
no avatar
User

James Natsis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:34 pm

by James Natsis » Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:27 pm

Bryan Shepherd wrote:That mile or so stretch on Bardstown Rd has a ton of ethnic shops/stores/restaurants. There is an Asian food store next to a Mediterranean Restaurant called Petra, which is across the street from a Russian/International food store, which is next to a new Bosnian coffee shop (I think)....and closer to Hikes Ln you have Angio's Pizza, which, by definition is Italian:-) I think there are a few more shops on Bradford Drive also, which is the side street from the coffee shop and Fern and Moody's Liquor Store.

. . . And then there's the Senegalese restaurant, then the Nepalese store, and then the Senegalese store all a little further down.
James J. Natsis
no avatar
User

David Smith

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 26, 2010 12:30 am

Jeffersontown

by David Smith » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:12 pm

Richard S. wrote:Is Bosna-Mak still in that neighborhood? I recall their gyros as being pretty tasty.

No, I drove by there today. Bosna-Mak is gone. There was some type of cafe sign out front, but I could not read it.
no avatar
User

Michelle R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed May 30, 2007 1:28 pm

Hikes Point

by Michelle R. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:51 pm

We just moved out of that area, and if I'm not mistaken, that is a Russian restaurant.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly!"
no avatar
User

Aaron Adams

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:06 pm

by Aaron Adams » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:21 pm

Well, as I love the little Gyro section of old Bardstown Road, this is what I believe has happened in that area.

Gyro Place #1 - Petra (sp?) - Used to be my favorite place for Gyros. They weren't the best, but the price was great and the hispanic gentleman who did most of the cooking was efficient as can be. The owner was always super polite and would take interest in how our meals went. The owner however sold Petra to a different gentleman, and now the place feels a bit "shady" if that makes any sense. We went after the reopening, and wait for about 45 minutes for our food, until the hispanic gentleman arrived for his shift, and took over for the owner.

Bosna Mak - Had great Gyro's on round loaves of bread from Jasmine Bakery. But has since been sold and turned into a larger style market. The owner of the new market is the Good owner of Petra. He sold Petra and made the big Market by purchasing Jasmine Bakery and Bosna-Mak Locations. I have lost track of Bosna Mak and have no idea if it exists elsewhere.

Jasmine Bakery - Amazing bread and pastries. Their gyros are really good, but I usually end up spending my Gyro money on more bread and pastries. They moved to a new location, after Good Petra owner took over their old location, the new location is about a half mile closer to Hikes lane. The new location is half sit down restaurant, and half wait-for-bread&pastries line. You can tell it went through a nice remodel at some point, as it feels much nicer than the others.

TLDR: Jasmine Good - get bread and pastries too

Edit: When I say sell, it could be change of lease etc etc. I am not privy to what they actually did from a legal standpoint
Last edited by Aaron Adams on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:33 pm

Aaron Adams wrote:Well, as I love the little Gyro section of old Bardstown Road, this is what I believe has happened in that area.

Super report, Aaron! Thanks very much!
no avatar
User

Rich S

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 am

by Rich S » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:57 pm

I haven't been there, but I saw online that there's another relatively new restaurant in that area: Dasha Barbours Southern Bistro, at 3825 Bardstown. I need to get out there and check out some of these places.

http://www.dbsbistro.com/