Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

Re: For anyone interested...that white stuff is back

by Bill P » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Robin-
My experiences (based upon living up there for 10+ years) in the upper Midwest, particularly MN, IA and WI, is quite different than what you experienced on your "tourist Visa". Additionally, your comments about Massholes, raises serious questions about your sanity. :)

I seem to recall a survey where 80% of the population considered themselves in the top 10% of drivers. The survey musta been done around these parts. :) Shucks, y'all haven't even mastered the use of turn signals.

I agree that NYC drivers are pretty good, but you have to consider that many of the vehicles plying the streets of the 5 boroughs are being piloted by people who drive for a living...cabs,trucks. When it snows, most everyone else takes to mass transit.

Finally, given 6" of snow and/or black ice, there is absolutely no question I'd prefer to drive in Iowa, Minnesota, or New England than around here. YMMV. I can't speak to the rust belt except to confirm the ineptitude of the drivers in So. Indiana and the Cincinnati area rivals that of the Louisville metro area.

FWIW, I do consider myself in the top 10% (probably the top 2%) of all drivers. :)

Is there anyone on this forum willing to 'fess up that their driving skills suck?? Anyone??
Last edited by Bill P on Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:03 pm

Bill P wrote: Shucks, y'all haven't even mastered the use of turn signals.

What are these "turn signals" of which you speak? They sound ... interesting. :lol:
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Robin-
I think those turn signals must be a very expensive option as most vehicles down here seem to lack them?

When I lived in other areas of the country it was fairly common for drivers to be cited for "Improper Signal". Has anyone ever been ticketed for that in KY? Hell, enforcement of this law could generate budget surpluses for every jurisdiction within a 100 miles.
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:16 pm

Bill P wrote:Robin-
I think those turn signals must be a very expensive option as most vehicles down here seem to lack them?

When I lived in other areas of the country it was fairly common for drivers to be cited for "Improper Signal". Has anyone ever been ticketed for that in KY? Hell, enforcement of this law could generate budget surpluses for every jurisdiction within a 100 miles.

I really wonder if Kentucky even has a law on the books requiring the use of turn signals! :mrgreen: It seems like the only drivers you ever see using them are ones that have moved here from someplace else.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:46 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Bill P wrote: Shucks, y'all haven't even mastered the use of turn signals.

What are these "turn signals" of which you speak? They sound ... interesting. :lol:

We bought a new car last year, a Ford supposedly made in America, during the the buying process we were offered the "full Kentucky package" as an option...This consisted of ripping out the turn signals, a radio that gives you a choice of Country music or A.M. talk radio, a horn that screams "Go Big Blue" when you blow it and a built in "spit cup" holder on the console. 8) :P
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Steve P wrote: "full Kentucky package"

Only available "Outside the Watterson"? 8)
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:01 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Steve P wrote: "full Kentucky package"

Only available "Outside the Watterson"? 8)

Oh I'm pretty sure it's available State-wide but there's no doubt it's a much more popular option out here in the hinterlands...Apparently the only difference is that those vehicles sold -inside- the Watterson come your choice of a "Keep Louisville Weird" or a "Trinity" bumper sticker, while the ones sold out here in the hinterlands come with a "Keep Oldham County White/Republican and Baptist bumper sticker. :lol: :wink:
Last edited by Steve P on Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:03 pm

Steve P wrote:Oh I'm pretty sure it's available State-wide but there's no doubt it's a much more popular option out here in the hinterlands.

We city folk get the U of L Cardinals Fight Song option on the horn, and the Hipster Hip Flask or Cappuccino Maker options on the console. :lol:
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:20 pm

I guess that those that live between the Watterson and the Snyder are the only ones that can get a car equipped normally because most of them are from this area originally? :roll:
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:04 pm

Mark R. wrote:I guess that those that live between the Watterson and the Snyder are the only ones that can get a car equipped normally because most of them are from this area originally? :roll:

Yeah, that would be the White Flight people.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:38 am

This from an article in the CJ...Am I the only one who sees the problem here ???

Road crews in Louisville finished salting and switched to plowing around 8:30 a.m., said Harold Adams, spokesman for Metro Louisville Public Works. He expected them to continue plowing until mid-afternoon, when they will decide whether to salt again.
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:55 am

Steve P wrote:This from an article in the CJ...Am I the only one who sees the problem here ???

Road crews in Louisville finished salting and switched to plowing around 8:30 a.m., said Harold Adams, spokesman for Metro Louisville Public Works. He expected them to continue plowing until mid-afternoon, when they will decide whether to salt again.

I always thought the proper procedure was to plow and then salt.
Kinda like why the salt spreader is at the rear of the rig and the plow in front. it doesn't make much sense unless they meant they were finishing the salting of "main" roads and were tackling the plowing of secondary roads which had not yet been touched????
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:12 pm

Considering the piles of salt I see wasted every year these tactics do not surprise me. Your tax dollars at work!
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:18 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Red Cup 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:35 am

You almost got it right Steve P, but all you had to do was threaten to tip the cup over and suggest that it might, maybe, have a single cube of ice in it.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
PreviousNext