Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

Re: For anyone interested...that white stuff is back

by Carla G » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:37 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I find it interesting that those that are the most vocal about closing schools don't even have any children enrolled in the system! Maybe a bit jealous that someone gets to stay home and play while the adults still have to go work? :wink: What is it we tell our kids? Life isn't always fair. Boohooo :cry:
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:30 am

As a card carrying member of the GOMB (Grumpy Old Man Brigade), even I don't get too worked up about school being cancelled. Those lost days are eventually made up. Now don't get me going on these endless string of 2 hour delays for cold weather. Most mornings it is not appreciably warmer at 9:30 than it is at 7:30. If the schools are worried about the safety of the kids in cold weather, as they should be, then just cancel the whole day. The kids are robbed of 2 hours of class time and I can only wonder, because I don't know for sure, how much learning is actually going on during these shortened days.

My solution is that states should abandon the traditional traditional school year being based upon "days" and go to a required minimum number of hours instead.

Surely you are not suggesting that having kids in the system should be a requirement for involvement in public schools?
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:46 am

I found this study on the impact of snow days on student performance quite interesting: http://phys.org/news/2014-01-impact-days-student.html
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

by Carla G » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:13 pm

Gayle DeM wrote:I found this study on the impact of snow days on student performance quite interesting: http://phys.org/news/2014-01-impact-days-student.html
. Makes sense to me. And just having been out on the roads at 7 am and again at 9 am all this week I'll say there is a change in the temp after the sun comes up and s huge difference in road conditions.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Carla-
I can't speak to the road conditions, but as a hard core weather geek, the observed temperatures in Louisville were not all that much different at 7am and 9am during the coldest days and in some cases it was actually colder. If you click on the calendar in the link your will see the observed "hourly" temps for Jan 2014. That is why I get so irked for 2 hr. delays based solely upon temps and wind chill. If it is dangerous, then school should be canceled for the day because 2 hours is simply not relevant on most of these very cold days.
http://uk.weather.com/weather/almanac-L ... e-USKY1096
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:32 pm

Carla G wrote:
Gayle DeM wrote:I found this study on the impact of snow days on student performance quite interesting: http://phys.org/news/2014-01-impact-days-student.html
. Makes sense to me. And just having been out on the roads at 7 am and again at 9 am all this week I'll say there is a change in the temp after the sun comes up and s huge difference in road conditions.

I actually think a lot of times the delay is not because of the temperature as much as it is about roads and traffic. A two-hour delay puts the buses on the road after the majority of morning commuting traffic is finished and the roads are in better condition because the traffic has softened them up and allowed the salt to work more.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:46 pm

In the spirit of looking for the positive....At least we don't live in New Orleans. My daughter teaches at Tulane and classes are canceled tomorrow because it will be 31 degrees and they are anticipating a "light wintery mix". :lol:
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:25 pm

Steve, I'm pretty sure that's exactly the same as what we do here. :shock:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Jay M.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:09 pm

by Jay M. » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:29 pm

Steve P wrote:In the spirit of looking for the positive....At least we don't live in New Orleans. My daughter teaches at Tulane and classes are canceled tomorrow because it will be 31 degrees and they are anticipating a "light wintery mix". :lol:

Ha! I'm living in the Lakeview area of NOLA during the week. All of the surrounding parishes have closed schools for tomorrow AND Wednesday. The normally docile grocery store across from my apartment was berserk this evening. The project I'm working on has shut down for the next two days. Delta cancelled TOMORROW'S flights between SDF and Atlanta and Atlanta and New Orleans TODAY at 11:00 am. I thought about this thread as I heard all of this today...... Mardi Gras prep is in full swing, though.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:36 am

Okay, will you guys now admit that at least Atlanta is even worse than Louisville? :mrgreen:

http://www.businessinsider.com/atlanta- ... res-2014-1
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:43 am

Worse snow drivers? Perhaps, but again, they actually HAD snow. We cancelled school and municipal offices closed because of a weather prediction...(that didn't actualize...)
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:49 am

Robin Garr wrote:Okay, will you guys now admit that at least Atlanta is even worse than Louisville? :mrgreen:

http://www.businessinsider.com/atlanta- ... res-2014-1

Hey, I give you guys some good natured (but deserved) grief now and again but -those- people are just pathetic...not so much because they can't drive in inclement weather but because they would even try. I've always suspected there were factors in the south losing the war of northern aggression that weren't addressed in History books and this debacle convinces me that one of the factors -must- have been a lack of brain cells...You just can't -teach- people to be -this- stupid.....It's gotta be hereditary.
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:10 am

You guys see this map that's been bouncing around the Interwebz? :mrgreen:

closingsmap.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

by RonnieD » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 am

There should be another color, yellow maybe, where schools are closed if snow is forecasted or the word "snow" is spoken out loud in a public place. I know the first state they could use that color on... :shock:
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:21 pm

RonnieD wrote:There should be another color, yellow maybe, where schools are closed if snow is forecasted or the word "snow" is spoken out loud in a public place. I know the first state they could use that color on... :shock:

Actually it wouldn't be Kentucky! If you had ever lifted upstate South Carolina you would know what I'm talking about. They are much bigger scaredy cats about closing schools than they are here. I was just reading an article about last week's snow there and they were talking about using their entire 10 tons of salt!
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
PreviousNext