Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:01 am

For anyone interested...that white stuff is back

by Carla G » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:00 am

Out in Oldham Co., despite having salted and sprayed the roads, they are very slick. (I was on 329 bypass and hwy 22) Traffic is very slow with many cars sliding off to the side. Use your own judgement as to whether or not you want to add to the mess.
"She did not so much cook as assassinate food." - Storm Jameson
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

Re: For anyone interested...that white stuff is back

by RonnieD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:33 am

Close everything indefinitely! Just to be safe.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:51 am

Thank goodness the school buses are out there to add to the obstacles. Wouldn't be near as interesting without them. :wink:
no avatar
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:39 am

It was a little slick downtown this morning, so when you go, go with caution. Please avoid the school buses, they are the big orange things, pretty easy to miss if you are taking your time and being careful. :wink: :D
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
no avatar
User

Roger A. Baylor

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:01 pm

New Albany

by Roger A. Baylor » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:52 am

Whoever scheduled this weather for a Friday goes directly onto my SOB List -- do not pass go, do not collect an expired UrbanSpoon voucher.
Last edited by Roger A. Baylor on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roger A. Baylor
Beer Director at Pints&union (New Albany)
Digital Editor at Food & Dining Magazine
New Albany, Indiana
no avatar
User

Carla G

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Carla G » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:57 am

RonnieD wrote:It was a little slick downtown this morning, so when you go, go with caution. Please avoid the school buses, they are the big orange things, pretty easy to miss if you are taking your time and being careful. :wink: :D

:lol:

Actually, my employers that just came back from a parent/teachers conference at 9:30 said the roads were noticeably better returning than they were when they left for the meeting. Maybe all that salt is actually kicking in.
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:18 pm

by Steve P » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:30 pm

I rolled out of bed at the crack of 0945 this morning and after glancing out my window while sipping my morning coffee I'm prepared to say the roads appeared to be just fine. :|
Stevie P...The Daddio of the Patio
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:51 pm

by Will Crawford » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:37 pm

The roads in Oldham County are not fine. They are a mess. It took my son 2 hours to get to an empty school today. Pretty ridiculous to have had school today. At least they could have had a delay. There are buses in ditches all over the county.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:06 pm

Will Crawford wrote:The roads in Oldham County are not fine. They are a mess. It took my son 2 hours to get to an empty school today. Pretty ridiculous to have had school today. At least they could have had a delay. There are buses in ditches all over the county.

Submitted without the least bit of snarkiness....Maybe what Oldham County needs to do is the next time schools are called off because of the white stuff, they make the bus drivers show up for a little over the road lets learn how to drive in the snow training. THAT way the next time something like this happens they will have some semblance of a clue as to how to drive in it...which , based on your report Will, is apparently a skill set they don't possess at this point in time.
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Steve P wrote:Submitted without the least bit of snarkiness....Maybe what Oldham County needs to do is the next time schools are called off because of the white stuff, they make the bus drivers show up for a little over the road lets learn how to drive in the snow training. THAT way the next time something like this happens they will have some semblance of a clue as to how to drive in it...which , based on your report Will, is apparently a skill set they don't possess at this point in time.

Never going to happen. We live in a section of the country that will never get used to this. We lack the equipment to clear roads effectively. It makes no sense to buy the equipment because it will sit idle most of the time. Closing schools is the only safe answer. I know what you are saying but you have to realize, Steve, this is not the great north nor will it ever be.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:03 pm

The problems with the snow in this area are approx. 10% lack of proper equipment/ treatment or plowing techniques. The remaining problems can be seen in your mirror every day....you folks just plain can't drive in the snow. If all that equipment they have in the upper Midwest were to magically appear during the next storm, you'd all still be paralyzed and drive like a bunch of hillbillies.

(Glad I got that out there as I am still pi$$ed at having spent 2+ hours trying to drive 20 miles in yesterday's 1/2in blizzard).

:)
no avatar
User

Will Crawford

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Will Crawford » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:39 pm

Bill P wrote:The problems with the snow in this area are approx. 10% lack of proper equipment/ treatment or plowing techniques. The remaining problems can be seen in your mirror every day....you folks just plain can't drive in the snow. If all that equipment they have in the upper Midwest were to magically appear during the next storm, you'd all still be paralyzed and drive like a bunch of hillbillies.

(Glad I got that out there as I am still pi$$ed at having spent 2+ hours trying to drive 20 miles in yesterday's 1/2in blizzard).

:)

Well don't hold back. Tell us how you really feel. :shock:
We get maybe two of these a year. Some times-more.
Pretty hard to practice.
Will Crawford
no avatar
User

Gayle DeM

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:42 pm

by Gayle DeM » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Up in the Great White North where the majority of people do know how to drive on ice and/or snow, they run public service announcements on both radio and tv reminding people how to drive on it. We could use a few of down here!
"I didn't fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian" -Erma Bombeck
no avatar
User

Bill P

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:20 am

Depauw, IN

by Bill P » Fri Jan 17, 2014 7:03 pm

Will-
It only takes a tiny bit of practice and a tiny bit of common sense. Driving in snow ain't exactly the same as pursuing a PhD..
no avatar
User

Steve P

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Steve P » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:41 pm

Bill P wrote: If all that equipment they have in the upper Midwest were to magically appear during the next storm, you'd all still be paralyzed and drive like a bunch of hillbillies.

DOH !!! 8) .....I know it's early but I'm going to put that in for post of the year (so far)...Remind me I owe you a beer. :lol:
Next