Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Matt M

{ RANK }

Just got here

Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:33 am

New Restaurant at Old Maido location?

by Matt M » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:32 pm

Wife just called a bit excited. Hopefully we are getting some new neighbors.
'
She said she saw workers in the old Maido location and they were putting paper up on the windows to cover things up. Came here hoping for the scoop.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

Re: New Restaurant at Old Maido location?

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:42 pm

Looks like you're the scoop at this point, Matt, but thanks for raising the flag. I drove by there within the past week and didn't see any obvious signs of activity, so you may be on something new.

I hope someone here knows something, and we'll sure get busy trying to find out!
no avatar
User

Mike D

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:29 pm

by Mike D » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:46 am

I also noticed that something is going into the old Cubana location at Frankfort and Clifton. Supposedly "opening this month" with a placard in the window advertising for FOH positions.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:06 am

Mike D wrote:I also noticed that something is going into the old Cubana location at Frankfort and Clifton. Supposedly "opening this month" with a placard in the window advertising for FOH positions.

I'm pretty sure that's going to be another Cuban place. We were walking by there recently while a bunch of Spanish-speaking people were giving some friends a tour.
User

Matt M

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Matt M » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:14 am

Well, I've continued to see work done and nearly brought myself to interrupt them and ask, but it looks like Insider Louisville did the work for me.

http://insiderlouisville.com/news/2014/ ... s=og.likes

More in the link -

"Song Kim, owner of Bendoya Sushi downtown, former owner of Oasis Sushi, and current chef at Osaka in Clifton, is taking over the place with Osaka’s owners and turning it into a Japanese bar and eatery.

The name will be Bar Code 1758 by Osaka – paying tribute to the location’s 1758 Frankfort Ave. address – and it will serve “traditional Japanese food,” including the usual nigiri and sashimi, along with yakitori, which is Japanese-style skewered chicken, Song said.

In fact, don’t be surprised if you find a lot of things on skewers at this new eatery – Song said that will be a focal point of the menu. There also will be a few traditional dishes on the menu, which is still in the works.

What will differentiate the new eatery, he said, is “the skewers and appetizers. [It will be] half Japanese and half Korean food. We are doing a lot of choices.”"
User

RonnieD

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:09 pm

The rolling acres of Henry County

by RonnieD » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:32 pm

I enjoyed Oasis, so this is good news since we lost I (HEART) Sushi & Teriyaki.
Ronnie Dingman
Chef Consultant
The Farm
La Center, KY
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:43 pm

I don't want to rain on the parade, and I'm as overjoyed as anyone else to see that attractive venue put back to restaurant use.

But I've never been very impressed with Bendoya. Am I offbase?
User

Matt M

{ RANK }

Just got here

by Matt M » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:11 pm

Robin Garr wrote:I don't want to rain on the parade, and I'm as overjoyed as anyone else to see that attractive venue put back to restaurant use.

But I've never been very impressed with Bendoya. Am I offbase?

I don't work far from there but have never tried it. Always been happy at Osaka though. Staying positive.
User

Melissa Guidry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:02 pm

by Melissa Guidry » Fri May 23, 2014 3:44 pm

I went last night and probably will not be back until I read some reviews that indicate that vast improvements have been made. The service was very inexperienced to the extent that they did not know the pronunciation or spelling of menu items. The ramen broth was spicy, but one dimensional and watery. The gyoza were not crisped enough in the pan frying process. The sushi rolls were just ok. I adore this location and the patio, but I can't justify going for the outdoor ambiance alone. They are working on their liquor license, so if nothing else, it might be a nice place for a nightcap after grabbing a sweet at Sweet Surrender when Silver Dollar is too full.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Fri May 23, 2014 4:33 pm

Melissa Guidry wrote:I went last night and probably will not be back until I read some reviews that indicate that vast improvements have been made

Thanks for the candid report, Melissa. I certainly can't quibble with your decision based on your experience. Biw I'll probably wait a month before I check it out, myself! :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Fri May 23, 2014 10:35 pm

I'm hoping against hope that this place can replace Maido. Silver dollar (or wooden nickel as we call it) is an overpriced abomination for my neighborhood. Yes I will be dining there with a 7 year old sushi fanatic. And he can discern between good and bad sushi. I'm hoping that we have a new walking to place for avocado rolls. The rest be damned.
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Tue May 27, 2014 11:27 am

Nora Boyle wrote: an overpriced abomination for my neighborhood.

:? Their fish market special this week was a seafood fettucini for $16, which is fairly standard pricing for its style and quality of restaurant.
I'd be interested in hearing why you think its so over priced? Both Bistro 1860 and Varanese could said to be in the same neighborhood and both are significantly more expensive.
I eat, therefore I am.
no avatar
User

Nora Boyle

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:24 pm

Clifton

by Nora Boyle » Tue May 27, 2014 2:57 pm

$18.00 for a Ruby trout ala carte is a little much. Maybe they're starting to pick up on that. I will admit I was freshly incensed when I wrote that response. I just get really irritated at all the ladies looking for parking on my tiny street that like to give up and block the sidewalk so they don't have to stagger as far on their ridiculously high heels. I had just asked another woman to move right before I wrote that. We have so many neighbors that are visually impaired and it makes me angry. I should have directed my derision at the customers a high end place like that draws in a neighborhood with no extra parking. Plus if I'm going to walk there for dinner my son has to get the $19 chicken and half waffle. Yeah I know. White people problems. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that our fun "date nights" can pick up again with this new addition. And when someone finally acquires the old theater they will add exactly 14 parking spots. That's a drop in the bucket! I don't think they have any takers yet though.
User

Melissa Guidry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:02 pm

by Melissa Guidry » Wed May 28, 2014 5:41 pm

I agree with Nora on the price point being disproportionate to the level of fare. However, the place is frequently jam packed, and basic economics principles say that demand dictates the price. They can get away with it because people are paying sticker price! Also agreed on the fashion choices of SD frequenters, not that I go all that often :D But as a long time district 9er, you'll bump into me a little bit of everywhere in the 40206. On a recent visit to the SD, seated at a side walk table (not obstructing any pedestrians of course), a dear friend said something along the lines of "Is it stupid clothes night?"
User

Doug Davis

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:05 pm

The Highlands

by Doug Davis » Wed May 28, 2014 5:48 pm

No one has explained how they are over priced given that the nearest competitors are significantly more. Unless you just dont think the food quality is there in comparison to the nearby competition, which is fairly subjective. I have never had a bad meal at Silver Dollar.
I eat, therefore I am.
Next