Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Melissa Guidry

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Re: New Restaurant at Old Maido location?

by Melissa Guidry » Wed May 28, 2014 5:54 pm

I have not been overjoyed by any meals at SD - I've tried at least three trips for dinner. I generally feel that I've spent less for meals than I've enjoyed more at other places. I do like Silver Dollar for cocktails. Top notch and well worth the price ! I just go there for that instead of the food. I do have buddies who enjoy the food there - it's popular for a reason. The other joints of similar price points you mentioned, Bistro 1860 and Varanese, have both knocked my socks off, on the other hand. Thus, my feeling that SD is overpriced. Also, they serve things in plastic baskets.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Wed May 28, 2014 6:03 pm

Yeah, I don't go often - thanks to my professional requirements when I'm wearing my Food Critic hat, I don't get to be a "regular" anywhere, except maybe Frankfort Avenue Heine's, Blue Dog and Caffe Classico. :mrgreen:

But I don't get the hatin' on SD. I like the concept, like the atmosphere, and I'm willing to pay the market price for the food. I'm not conscious of any dress code, and while the noise has on occasion reduced me to texting my table companions :lol: , at least the sound is Bakersfield sound on black disks. What's not to like?
no avatar
User

GaryF

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:05 am

by GaryF » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:37 pm

One upside to the new restaurant- it's open till midnight on Sundays and 2AM on every other day.
I wonder how long that will last?
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

by Iggy C » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:09 pm

I basically also only go to Silver Dollar for cocktails. I've noticed my friends seem to like the food a lot more than I do. Maybe I just haven't found the right thing to eat there. But El Camino just seems to suit my taste a lot better.
Previous