Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.

Clay Oven

no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

Clay Oven

by TP Lowe » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:29 pm

Finally made it over tonight. I think the quality of the food rivaled any Indian restaurant in town. But, they were absolutely slammed, and I think they may have been a server or two short. Took over a half hour to get our check (we were trying to be sensitive customers and turn the table for folks that were waiting!). I felt sorry for the two servers and one runner - they were doing their best, and when they were at your table they were quite good.

Two appetizers, two entrees, two types of naan, glass of wine and a beer for right on $50, with a $25 tip to reflect my empathy for the hard work of the folks that were taking care of a very full space.

This place is now on the very short list (and bonus points for being close to Shelby County).
no avatar
User

Iggy C

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:33 am

Re: Clay Oven

by Iggy C » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:40 pm

We went a couple weeks ago with a friend who speaks some Nepali -- couldn't get any off-menu Nepalese specialities like dal bhat, but the goat curry, sel puri -- and most importantly, momos -- were all good and scratched that Nepalese food itch we were having. Nice to have during that cold snap, too. Can't speak to the Indian food, but I'm really grateful that there's a place to occupy this Himalayan niche here in L'ville.
no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

by Joel F » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:29 am

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:58 am

no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:10 am

Haven't tried the lunch buffet yet, Robin. On the list.

The lamb vindaloo was some of the best Indian food I've ever had in Louisville.
no avatar
User

Bill Veneman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:35 pm

East End outside of the Watterson, but not afraid to travel for good grub

by Bill Veneman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:57 am

I stopped by after Robins review for the buffet, and was totally impressed....great selections, vast range of spices, informative staff. Really enjoyed myself. I will return.

Although I've not been to order off the menu, some of the selections noted in this thread are making my mouth water!
If life's a Banquet, what's with all the Tofu?

Cheers!

Bill V.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Bill Veneman wrote:I stopped by after Robins review for the buffet, and was totally impressed....great selections, vast range of spices, informative staff. Really enjoyed myself. I will return.

Although I've not been to order off the menu, some of the selections noted in this thread are making my mouth water!

Think my wife and I were sitting across the restaurant from you? We had same comments as yours!
Andrew Mellman
no avatar
User

Sara R

{ RANK }

Foodie

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:23 am

by Sara R » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:27 pm

I guess I'm the lone voice of dissent. My husband and I went a little over a week ago and we were disappointed. We both thought our food was bland. I had the saag paneer and my husband had the paneer masala. He even asked for his "India hot" (aka, the spiciest they make) and he said it was barely even hot. I always ask for my food mild, so I can't speak to that. Both my naan and his garlic naan was undercooked to the point of being just raw dough in parts. The food, paired with extremely slow service made for a less than stellar experience.

Maybe they were just having an off night, especially considering that others have had great experiences, but I doubt we'd be interested in returning to find out.
no avatar
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:44 pm

Sara R wrote:I guess I'm the lone voice of dissent. My husband and I went a little over a week ago and we were disappointed. We both thought our food was bland. I had the saag paneer and my husband had the paneer masala. He even asked for his "India hot" (aka, the spiciest they make) and he said it was barely even hot. I always ask for my food mild, so I can't speak to that. Both my naan and his garlic naan was undercooked to the point of being just raw dough in parts. The food, paired with extremely slow service made for a less than stellar experience.

Maybe they were just having an off night, especially considering that others have had great experiences, but I doubt we'd be interested in returning to find out.

Sara, I have no "dog in this hunt," but I hope you'll give them another try. I asked for the heat to be put on in the vindaloo, and they did a great job (and it was the nice kind of heat that sneaks up on you after a few bites).

And this may seem a bit silly, but I loved being in an ethnic restaurant with servers dressed alike and beautifully. It just made for nice "art."
no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joel F » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:16 pm

We hit it for lunch today and are in agreement with Robin's review of the buffet.

The food was fresh, well prepared and nicely spiced. My salt lassi was one of the best I've had. I enjoyed the goat stew and everything else on my plate

There is a chili sauce in the condiment area which has a pretty high scoville rating as well as a nice flavor.

We received a friendly welcome and a later-in-the-meal check-in from the manager.

The space is clean and brightly lit. Table & booth density is a little high which could mean a heavy conversation buzz if they're full.

We'll be going back.
no avatar
User

Joel F

{ RANK }

Foodie

by Joel F » Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:23 pm

We've been back several times... still loving it.

For those of you needing an incentive there is a current dealchicken coupon for this place.

There's a high ratio of good vegetarian items on the lunch buffet, BTW.