Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Matt K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 am

Downtown

Mitchell's to close?

by Matt K » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:18 pm

I heard through a friend last night that Mitchell's Fish Market out at The Summit will be closed by 2008 and to be replaced by.... Ruth's Chris?!?!?! (Ugh) Please tell me this is not so.
User

Robin Garr

{ RANK }

Forum host

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:38 pm

Crescent Hill

by Robin Garr » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:30 pm

It's a fact that the Ruth's Chris chain has bought the Mitchell's chain. That being said, however, I've heard of no plan for Ruth's Chris to convert the existing Mitchell's restaurants into Ruth's Chris. Anything is possible, but until further notice, I would assume that the rumor you heard is based on the ownership change and might not be accurate.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:09 pm

Maybe part of the reason for the purchase was to obtain the locations that many Mitchell's restaurants already have?
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:10 pm

Based on what they paid, I can't believe they would kill the Mitchell's concept. Looked to me like the bulk of the purchase price was goodwill related to the Mitchell's brand.
no avatar
User

Bradley C. Pearce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Louisville, Ky

by Bradley C. Pearce » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:11 pm

Did Ruth Chris buy ALL the Cameron Mitchell resturants? Cap City & C.B.C. were my first kitchen gigs. Also, do they plan on converting 'Mitchell's Steak House' into a Ruth Chris?
User

Amy A

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Jeffersonville

by Amy A » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:38 pm

I love Mitchell's. I hope they don't close and I hope they don't ruin it.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:43 pm

We've have had varied experienes at Mitchell's, but for the most part enjoy it. We dine there every couple of months...I doubt we would go to a Ruth's Chris more than once every year or so. I can't see it fitting in with the needs of the area. Stoney River is right there.

As far as steak goes we like Stoney River a bit better than Ruth's Chris on that rare occasion I need alot of expensive red meat.
User

TP Lowe

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:00 am

Shelby County

by TP Lowe » Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:56 pm

Bradley C. Pearce wrote:Did Ruth Chris buy ALL the Cameron Mitchell resturants? Cap City & C.B.C. were my first kitchen gigs. Also, do they plan on converting 'Mitchell's Steak House' into a Ruth Chris?

Don't think so - as I recall it was just Mitchell's.
no avatar
User

Andrew Mellman

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:33 am

Louisville

by Andrew Mellman » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:37 pm

From what I read they purchased all the Mitchell's Fish and a small number of the others (varying by city).

While they have not announced plans, I would think that having both a Ruth's Criss and a Mitchell's in a market would make seafood ordering much more cost effective with overall savings.

Different point:

While I like Ruby's better than Ruth's Criss or Stoney River steaks, the real comparison is Ruth's Criss versus Fleming's, the upscale brand of the Outback chain.
Andrew Mellman
User

Matt K

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:57 am

Downtown

by Matt K » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:45 pm

I agree, Fleming's is fantastic. I wish they would bring one to Lou.
User

Ron Johnson

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:48 am

by Ron Johnson » Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:47 pm

I have not had good steaks at Ruth Chris or Flemings. I really wasn't a fan of the steakhouse concept until I tried Jeff Ruby's restaurants in Cincinnati and NKY.
User

Mark Head

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:44 pm

Prospect

by Mark Head » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:32 pm

Just have not gottin around to getting down to Ruby's. Even had revervations one night and had to cancel....we will make it there at some point through the holidays.
User

Melissa Richards-Person

{ RANK }

Foodie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:05 pm

The 'burbs of the Ville

Here is the actual article

by Melissa Richards-Person » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:44 pm

Hey all - here is the Nov 6 article from American City Business Journal's website. As you can see:
1) They bought the chain to expand their business base - which would indicate they are NOT closing Mitchells
2) They are in fact, planning to open additional Mitchell's locations
3) This only covers two of the Cameron Mitchell restaurant brands.

Hope this helps!

Ruth’s Chris to buy Mitchell’s Fish Markets, 2 steak brands

HEATHROW , Fla. (Nov. 6) Looking for other growth vehicles within the high-end sector, Ruth's Chris Steak House, Inc. said today that it would purchase 19 seafood restaurants and three steak houses from Cameron Mitchell Restaurants LLC for $94 million.

The seafood restaurants operate under the names Mitchell’s Fish Market and Columbus Fish Market. The steakhouses bear the name Cameron’s Steakhouse or Mitchell’s Steakhouse.

The deal also includes two Mitchell’s Fish Markets that will open by January. Ruth’s Chris said the acquired group should have 2008 revenues of $98 million.

Craig Miller, chairman of the board, president and CEO of Ruth’s Chris, said he expects to grow the Mitchell’s brand nationally, and that there is a hole in the market for high-end seafood. “We feel our team’s expertise can help fill that hole in the niche,” he said. “Especially with our 42 years operating in the high end segment”.

The Cameron’s Steakhouses will continue to operate under that identity, Miller said. “Whether we do something with that brand long term, we have not decided yet,” he commented.

The deal has been in the works for about three months, since investment-banking firm Piper Jaffrey approached him about the acquisition, Miller revealed. He explained that Ruth’s Chris has always been on the lookout for a good strategic acquisition, but the market has been tough in the last couple years. “Valuations have been inflated due to all of the private equity deals going down, but currently the market is better,” he said.

The acquisition will be funded through Ruth’s Chris’ credit facility and is expected to close in the first quarter of 2008, subject to customary closing conditions.

Cameron Mitchell, founder and president of Cameron Mitchell Restaurants, will serve as a consultant to Ruth’s Chris on the acquired restaurants for three years, the buying company said. The deal trims Mitchell’s Columbus, Ohio-based company to 33 restaurants operating in nine states.

The existing Mitchell’s Seafood operating team will stay on with the chain, confirmed Miller, though they will be supported out of Ruth’s Chris Heathrow, Fla., headquarters. “We don’t anticipate changes, though. This is a fully developed concept and the restaurants are extremely well run,” Miller said.

He added that the seafood restaurants are compatible to a Ruth’s Chris, with average annual sales volumes of $4.3 million per unit. Sales at Ruth’s Chris restaurants average $5.7 million annually at company-operated units and $5.3 million at franchised outlets.

Miller said that the plan is to add three to four Mitchell’s units next year, and to grow the acquired concepts by a combined rate of 15 percent to 20 percent annually. Most of the seafood restaurants are located in Midwestern states, but the company is opening a Jacksonville, Fla., location as well as one in Stamford, Conn., by year-end. The company also has a Tampa, Fla., location.

Ruth’s Chris does not plan to add more seafood to the menu of its namesake steakhouses as a result of the deal, Miller said. However, he acknowledged that there could be some seafood purchasing synergies.

Miller said the Cameron’s Steakhouses will not be converted into Ruth’s Chris steakhouses because the locations don’t compete in their markets with the buyer’s namesake brand. “These are successful in their own,” he commented. “We will learn from what they do.”

The consumer spending downturn affecting Ruth’s Chris and most other full-service chains had nothing to do with the company’s decision to buy other brands, Miller stressed. “The opportunity presented itself so we went for it,” he said. “Look, we go through economic cycles and this one has a lot of pressure on consumers. But looking in the long run, demographics look positive towards the higher-end dining experience. [The market] lacked a high-end national player in seafood and we think we can be part of that solution.”

Ruth's Chris Steak House has 114 locations worldwide.
no avatar
User

Jayson L

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:26 am

DownTown

by Jayson L » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:21 am

Brad, do we know each other? I opened "M" and Molly Woos for Cam in 01.

- Jayson Lewellyn[/quote]
no avatar
User

Bradley C. Pearce

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:41 pm

Louisville, Ky

by Bradley C. Pearce » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:24 am

Jayson L wrote:Brad, do we know each other? I opened "M" and Molly Woos for Cam in 01.

- Jayson Lewellyn
[/quote]
Not sure, were you front or back of the house? I left Columbus just after 9/11. I floated between Cap City and C.B.C from say...'98-'01; and I did a very short stint @ the Steakhouse on Gay St. when they 1st opened. Reguardless, It's nice to see another fellow buckeye on here. Go Bucks beat LSU :D
Next