Welcome to the Louisville Restaurants Forum, a civil place for the intelligent discussion of the local restaurant scene and just about any other topic related to food and drink in and around Louisville.
User

Jeff Cavanaugh

{ RANK }

Foodie

Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 am

Re: Construction in front of Indian Springs

by Jeff Cavanaugh » Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:58 pm

Mark R. wrote:I'm assuming even if it is turned into green space it's going to cost you a lot more per year because the areas will have to be maintained, County ordinances won't let them just be left wild!

Cost more than keeping it as a golf course? Surely not. The cost of regular mowing should be far less than specialty mowing, fertilizing, watering, groundskeepers' salaries, etc.
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:37 pm

Jeff Cavanaugh wrote:
Mark R. wrote:I'm assuming even if it is turned into green space it's going to cost you a lot more per year because the areas will have to be maintained, County ordinances won't let them just be left wild!

Cost more than keeping it as a golf course? Surely not. The cost of regular mowing should be far less than specialty mowing, fertilizing, watering, groundskeepers' salaries, etc.

I was referring to the total out-of-pocket costs. Obviously you have many more expenses maintaining it as a golf course but you also have significant income from greens fees and possibly membership. Maintaining it as green space will provide is $0 income yet cost a significant amount of money to maintain.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Shannon W

{ RANK }

Foodie

Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:06 pm

by Shannon W » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:06 pm

Yes. It's multi-millions/year to maintain the course vs. $100,000 for green space maintenance. We have yet another meeting to attend later this month. We've already paid EXTRA for attorneys to fight the original Aldi issue. I like the idea of green/park space. They say there are other communities where this actually worked out well. Certain fairways are turned into a park/playground, some are left to grow prairie or wildflowers. Personally, I love it. We've had many a window broken and drunk guys driving their carts through my garden...

Also, I meant the restaurant portion of the clubhouse is closing. My Mom played quite a bit of bridge with her groups up there and they are busy finding a new place to meet. I'm not sure what purpose it will serve if the course closes.
"Mark that frame an eight...and you're entering a world of pain."
User

Mark R.

{ RANK }

Foodie

Mon Apr 09, 2007 12:02 pm

Anchorage, KY

by Mark R. » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:16 pm

Shannon W wrote:Also, I meant the restaurant portion of the clubhouse is closing. My Mom played quite a bit of bridge with her groups up there and they are busy finding a new place to meet. I'm not sure what purpose it will serve if the course closes.

it would certainly make a very nice community building. You might also be able to rent it out for various occasions to pay for some of the upkeep.

As a side note, there are companies that you can hire to manage a golf course for you. I wonder if one of them would be willing to manage and maintain the course for free if they get to keep all of the proceeds? It certainly would be worth looking into.
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

"Life is short. Drink the good wine first"
User

Deb Hall

{ RANK }

Foodie

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Highlands , Louisville

by Deb Hall » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:05 am

Shannon W wrote:We just received notice that the clubhouse will be closing in 2-weeks. They actually had a nice, little restaurant with a lot of scratch-made soups and dishes. The big fireplace and high ceilings make it a great place for meetings and get togethers.

Our homeowner association dues were always $200/year. This year it was increased to $500 and we got a note that if the golf course stays open, it will increase to $1500 year! So, it looks like the "green space" option is getting more attractive. Apparently, it's been done with success in other places and our committee is investigating. The whole thing is SO frustrating.

Shannon,
Was the development recently released from the contractor control/ responsibility? I'm assuming no as it's been there for a long time. I ask because sometimes that leads to large increases in the HOA fees. ( been there before). For comparison, we live up the road in Springhurst and our HOA is around $800 a year ( including pool).
Deb
Previous